What are the chances of twin pregnancy if

What are the chances of twin pregnancy if

anon
anon

September 25th, 2011, 12:06 pm #1

you put back two embryos? Of course like all of us we really want to have a baby. We are just wondering the pecentages. I know my chances are better when you put in two. But how many of you had twins? and how many have one?

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

September 25th, 2011, 12:23 pm #2

The statistics at our clinic showed on a three to four percent increase in pregnancy rates with transfer of 2 embryos but the risk of twins was 50% higher. GL!

September 25th, 2011, 2:36 pm #3

you put back two embryos? Of course like all of us we really want to have a baby. We are just wondering the pecentages. I know my chances are better when you put in two. But how many of you had twins? and how many have one?
Fresh cycle #1 - transferred 2 grade 1, 5d blasts - bfn
Fresh cycle #2 - transferred 3 grade 1, 5d blasts - bfn
Fresh cycle #3 - transferred 3 grade 1, 5d blasts - bfn
FET from cycle 3 - transferred 3 grade 1, 5d blasts -bfn
Fresh cycle #4 - transferred 3 grade 1, 5d blasts - bfp - singleton 3/25/2010
FET from cycle 4 - transferred 3 grade 1, 5d blasts - bfp - singleton 7/29/2011

I have adult children, so my body knew what to do - there were no immune issues, etc. We were given an 80% chance of success our first cycle, since our only problem was supposedly my OLD EGGS.

Yes, transferring two increases your odds of getting pg, and increases the chances that you'll have twins - but it doesnt guarantee success.

My advice- transfer what you are willing to raise

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges

Dee.S
Dee.S

September 25th, 2011, 5:26 pm #4

I know many worry about having twins. But I am so blessed that we had twins over a singleton. As my doc said "2 for 1" I could not afford a second cycle and was pleasantly surprised we had twins, never even crossed my mind that putting back 2 would get me two, I was just hoping 1 of the 2 would take. Lots of twin moms on the pink board for sure.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 25th, 2011, 6:37 pm #5

The twin-vs-singleton info is not published on CDC or SART, so you have to ask each clinic directly for the information, and the numbers vary wildly.

The risk for twins when tx 2 can be very very high (over 65% at one clinic) depending on how good the lab is, some clinics do much better with embryos than others.

September 25th, 2011, 10:45 pm #6

Most important for you to know will be embryo quality and also clinic stats. We transferred one 5 day embyro on a fresh cycle, rated 4AB, and got a BFN. Transferred 2 frozens that ended up being rated 4AA after the thaw and they are now coloring in the other room.

September 26th, 2011, 12:29 am #7

We put in 2 five-day embryos and got twins. Our clinic rate of twinning was about 40% at the time we did the transfer. Rates vary with the clinic and also with the number, age and condition of embryos.

September 26th, 2011, 3:08 pm #8

The twin-vs-singleton info is not published on CDC or SART, so you have to ask each clinic directly for the information, and the numbers vary wildly.

The risk for twins when tx 2 can be very very high (over 65% at one clinic) depending on how good the lab is, some clinics do much better with embryos than others.
I know one woman in IRL and am acquainted w/two from IF boards who tx'd 2, but had one split and ended up with a triplet pregnancy. My RL friend's pregnancy ended badly (lost all). One woman successfully reduced, and I don't know what happened with the other.

I put back two and got pg w/twins. I love them dearly, but would encourage anyone to seek a singleton pregnancy. The risk is just so much higher, and the emotional and financial toll if your babies end up in the NICU can be devastating. I carried my twins to almost term and they were fine, but when I went in for my 35 week NST, the OB told me that half of twin pregnancies have delivered by 35 weeks.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

Hope2009
Hope2009

September 26th, 2011, 9:20 pm #9

the number to transfer on our first fresh cycle. I think the bottom line is really about the quality of the embryos and also if they are day 3's or are blasts.

We had 19 embryos from our donor...of which after ICSI..16 fertilized..which was a 90% percent fertilization rate which our clinic said was an excellent start. As the days progressed they knew that we had a good number and so they wanted to do a day 5 transfer.

We had 13 day 5 blasts ..which is a good sign that the quality is excellent. On day 5 we were told that if we transferred 2 of the highest quality that we had an 80% chance of success with a 50% chance of having twins.

We trasnferred two though as we had been through so much and wanted to give ourselves the BEST chance..also we were okay with twins. Both of the embros were graded 20/20..which is a Canadian grade...this quality is rarely seen we were told...one was hatching and one was about to hatch.

I also had a great lining...10 with triple stripe plus I had a proven uterus so we thought a baby was in the bag. But 12 days later our first beta test showed an hcg number of 31...and 2 days later it dropped to 15. Something had tried to implant but we ended with a chemical. We were at a loss...how does such a perfect cycle...I was at the peak of health..and perfect embies fail. I found out that perfect cycles do end with negative results...and then some end with twins. It's a crap shoot. You have to look at all the factors and decide what is the right number for you going by the odds you have been given.

BTW...after that failed cycle my Dr. did run a panel of blood work and found I tested positive for a blood clotting disorder which perplexed me since we had had our own children...our last born when I was 43...although what may have helped keep her is that I took a low dose aspirin. Anyway for our following FET cycle I took heparin and we transferred 3, again high quality embies (3 were thawed and they all made it_) and we ended up with a singleton...DS.

Then last fall about this time we went back for our 2nd FET...since the quality wasn't as high we transferred 3 again...although our Dr. and embryologist said our embies thawed BEAUTIFULLY and looked as great as when they froze them 2 years before...they were 5 day blasts..graded 18/20 for all three. We ended up getting pg with twin girls...and we were and are thrilled. I had an easy twin pgcy..the babies were born vaginally at 36 wks...5 pound babies. They have been so EASY..and at 4 months are sleeping through the night.

I think you will find all sorts of stories as I did when I asked the same question but you and your family are unique...as are your embryos. During our holiday time...our clinic is at a distance from our home...I spent the days before our transfer walking the beach and I saw all these 'signs' that we would have twins....two perfect shells, the locker at the pool was '22'...that sort of thing happened for days before our first tranfer...boy was I amazed when we didn't even get pg with a keeper on that first cycle...but dreams do come true and they did eventually come...sometimes you just have to wait and I think trusting and letting go are a big part of the process.

Good luck, blessings from Hope

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 29th, 2011, 2:39 am #10

because of my personal situation, I knew twins were not an option. My lining was good and no issues so I was really worried if I put 2 in, I'd get 2. If my situation were different I would welcome that! At my clinic, I think the stats were like 40% with twins. That's a lot!! I was successful with a single embryo transfer. I may have 2nd guessed myself if it hadn't worked, but I don't think so. If you can manage twins, then I say go for 2! Good Luck.