WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT

WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT

Calm
Calm

March 7th, 2011, 10:21 pm #1

Ok, we had our follow up with the RE following our BFN and can't say it was illuminating. Poor cycle, lots of possible reasons why, etc. Got some options for moving forward if we choose to - and reviewed available donors and their pros/cons. Still working through what feels right regarding next steps.

I asked him directly if there was anything I DID THAT LED TO THE BFN - ANYTHING I COULD DO DIFFERENTLY next time. He said no.

Then, by email, I get the summary report from our session (one thing I love about this clinic). In that report - a full 1/3 of it was devoted to my weight - the fact that my BMI is over 30. Yes, I am overweight. Like a size 14. But I have been this same weight through 5 IVFs and 1 DE procedure. If it was possibly a contributing factor - like he wrote in the summary - why didn't he say it to my face when I was searching for answers...why did he let me cycle without reminding me again. I know I need to lose weight. Has been next to impossible on the meds and with the IVF depression following BFNs...But to not have the decency to say to may face - - - COWARD. Ok I feel better now.

Anyway, annoyance at the RE aside, the facts are right. Need to drop some LBS. Have seen various things in "search" on what is best...but thought I would repost to get thoughts. Thinking Weight Watchers for 2 months to see if I can't safely lose 15-20 lbs.

What worked for you?

LizLA
LizLA

March 7th, 2011, 10:29 pm #2

There was a study which said that weight does make a difference when you are trying to get pregnant with your own eggs but not DE.

Still healthy weight will help you to have a healthy pregnancy.

GL

Calm
Calm

March 7th, 2011, 10:30 pm #3

...and I am in the mindset to get there (finally) THANKS!

wt
wt

March 7th, 2011, 10:35 pm #4

Ok, we had our follow up with the RE following our BFN and can't say it was illuminating. Poor cycle, lots of possible reasons why, etc. Got some options for moving forward if we choose to - and reviewed available donors and their pros/cons. Still working through what feels right regarding next steps.

I asked him directly if there was anything I DID THAT LED TO THE BFN - ANYTHING I COULD DO DIFFERENTLY next time. He said no.

Then, by email, I get the summary report from our session (one thing I love about this clinic). In that report - a full 1/3 of it was devoted to my weight - the fact that my BMI is over 30. Yes, I am overweight. Like a size 14. But I have been this same weight through 5 IVFs and 1 DE procedure. If it was possibly a contributing factor - like he wrote in the summary - why didn't he say it to my face when I was searching for answers...why did he let me cycle without reminding me again. I know I need to lose weight. Has been next to impossible on the meds and with the IVF depression following BFNs...But to not have the decency to say to may face - - - COWARD. Ok I feel better now.

Anyway, annoyance at the RE aside, the facts are right. Need to drop some LBS. Have seen various things in "search" on what is best...but thought I would repost to get thoughts. Thinking Weight Watchers for 2 months to see if I can't safely lose 15-20 lbs.

What worked for you?
My mother was the one who kept harping on my weight, pointing out that in England, the National Health won't cover ART for women who are even a little bit overweight. I pointed out to her that I read an article that said that the National Health won't cover it because they are worried about other health related issues like gestational diabetes, etc. But, of course, it's good to lose weight anyway so I did weight watchers and lost about 30 lbs. I've been slowly creeping up because of the good food here, the IF treatment and the depression from the mc. I was hoping to get pg at my lowest weight so I would be sure that I wouldn't go over my max while pg but, oh well, I guess I'll just try and be healthful and go back on ww afterwards if everything works out okay.

wt
wt

March 7th, 2011, 10:38 pm #5

What worked for you?
was being such a wuss. Definitely should have been upfront with you from the start, if he felt it was a significant issue!

March 7th, 2011, 11:19 pm #6

There was a study which said that weight does make a difference when you are trying to get pregnant with your own eggs but not DE.

Still healthy weight will help you to have a healthy pregnancy.

GL
My cousin was 35 yrs old, 450 lbs. with first child. She was 38 years old when she had twins...didn't lose any weight. All OE. She did have high blood pressure, but otherwise uneventful pregnancies. I am about 80lbs overweight and none of my RE's have mentioned the weight issue with DE. Of course I know this is definitely not ideal situation and working on weight loss, but many women who are overweight have children with OE/DE.

Blessinngs

Ann
Last edited by want2bamommy on March 7th, 2011, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malibugirl662
Malibugirl662

March 7th, 2011, 11:27 pm #7

What worked for you?
IF is more frustrating for me than weight loss - but being overweight can be EXTEMELY difficult. The difference between what the RE said and wrote being a case in point...but I could make a list for you. I had family members who would make eyes at each other if I had a 2nd helping at dinner or (G-d forbid) dessert.

SO - I adpted my son and gained 50 pounds. I went from 135 to 185. At my heaviest I stepped on the scale and weighed 194. I was overweight for about 5 years.

I never did weight watchers and the tiny portions at Jenny Craig definitely did not work for me. It was like I needed four of them to make a meal...

I did Fat Flush, and for some reason it worked for me. I did not excercise until I was under 160 pounds b/c a.) I didn't want to go to the gym and b.) Everything shook when I got on the treadmill.

I think for me drinking LOTS of water/caffeine free diet drinks was key to filling me up.

I also knew very little about how to eat. I wasn't making good choices, which sounds simple - but I needed GOOD low fat recipes, I needed an apple and a hard boiled egg at the ready -but I didn't know that. Fat Flush made that easier. I started going to the gym when I weighed 158, and today I am about 137 lbs.

I have heard great things about ww. I did not have a work schedule conducive to day-time meetings and was too busy/tired after work to go.

So if WW doesn't work - I'd recommend fat flush (Louise Gittleman).

GL!
Mal

Dee
Dee

March 7th, 2011, 11:49 pm #8

I never lost any weight on Weight Watchers. I would not recommend this program. I've done it 3 times, did not lose weight.

I am now following a gluten free, sugar free diet and seeing results.

March 7th, 2011, 11:57 pm #9

What worked for you?
I am sorry that your doctor was not more responsive with you. I don't think you should associate your size with being overweight. My questions to help you find your way is do you think its food driven or exercise related? Maybe try a little bit of both to jump start it. I think weight watchers can work but I am a firm believer once you stop you are more likely to fall back in to bad habits. I would try to work on what your eating and when and coupling it with a little more exercise. I am by no means miss fitness so I hope this isn't coming off that way. eight years ago I lost approx twenty five lbs and have been able to keep it off. I hate the gym but I go. I could stand to lose a few more pounds.

Dee.S
Dee.S

March 8th, 2011, 12:34 am #10

What worked for you?
I got a BFP with twins with my first DE cycle.

Before I cycled the RE suggested I loose weight get my BMI way down. Well was that even possible after being overweight all my life to loose dramatically. All I kept thinking is delays. So I researched on the internet and found the article that says BMI has nothing to do with DE success.

I sent it to him and he scheaduled me for my first visit towards the DE cycle.

I would think maybe weight has something to do with your own eggs and hormones being off, however since these are controlled cycles hormones and all I don't agree. I only gained 7lbs the entire pregnancy and could not eat enough for the twins. Doctor had me on protein shakes 2 times a day. I made it to almost 35 weeks with twins. Some woman of perfect height and weight do not even make it that far. Hypertension was a problem but I have had hypertension for years. Preclampsia set in, but it set in for people with perfect height and weight and younger then me on the pink board. I was 44 when I delivered twins.

My suggestion drink red raspberry leaf tea to build your lining up to a few days before transfer. Eat lots of protein and fresh pineapple the day before, day of and several days after. I ate boiled eggs and pineapple juice for breakfast, chicken for lunch and dinner, pineapple for dessert. Stayed in bed for 48 hrs after transfer. Did any of this help? Who knows, but one thing we know for sure it did not hurt.