weaning from PIO to prometrium

weaning from PIO to prometrium

August 16th, 2011, 7:17 pm #1

does everyone have to do this? Today is my first day with the prometrium and I am a nervous wreck. Should I be nervous? I will be 9 weeks tomorrow.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

August 16th, 2011, 11:54 pm #2

I can't believe you are nine weeks already. I hope all has been going smoothly for you.

August 17th, 2011, 4:14 am #3

does everyone have to do this? Today is my first day with the prometrium and I am a nervous wreck. Should I be nervous? I will be 9 weeks tomorrow.
I was concerned and nervous about it, and one of the ladies on the pink board told me that I really did not have to wean that way. She had gone all the way to 15 weeks on PIO, so that I should ask about it. I did, and I told my nurse that I was not comfortable doing the suppositories, and she said that was not the first time that they had heard that, and that she would check with my doctor, but that she had no doubt that he would allow me to stay on the PIO until I was set to stop anyway. It took me forever to feel comfortable with PIO, so switching mid-stream was not a comforting thought.

Since you were already set to start, you probably were able to handle it just fine, but if you find that it is not for you, then I think you have options. Like the wonderful and wise board poster told me, "Don't feel like you don't have a voice." I just think that we go into auto-pilot at some point and just do whatever has been told to us without thinking we can ask a question or voice a concern.

Interesting you are starting today. I am just over 8 weeks, and I was supposed to start 3 days ago. I wonder how they figure all of this timing stuff out.

Let us know how it worked out for you.

August 17th, 2011, 12:50 pm #4

Thanks Mrs.M - I cant believe I am to 9 weeks either. It has been stressful but I think it always is going to be. I think I could have switched over last week at 8 weeks but I was traveling for work and didnt have my graduation appt from Shady Grove until friday. I told my nurse that I was nervous - she told me she would ask the doctor if I could stay on the injections but I decided that I would have to make the transition at some point so I just went with what they told me. Im nervous but trying to stay calm. It is actually nice not to have that shot hanging over me every night actually. Now it is just del estrogen every third day until 9/12 (my anniversary). I have to say that it is a weird feeling to go to the regular OB - she was so much less personable that my doctors at Shady Grove. I cant figure out if I am just spoiled or if I should try another OB. She actually said "All IVF patients that come to her are neurotic". I didnt really like that - she has no appreciation of what we have been through.

cubb
cubb

August 17th, 2011, 3:28 pm #5

I wish I was at your stages in the game but I have used the prometrium (I am assuming vag supp right?) I can remember a pill by mouth too, but that might have been a diff name??? btw this had nothing to do with de cycles.
Personally even though they make you "leak" basically all day...it is so much better than the experience I have had with the PIO!
To me the supp are easier to carry around/travel with. Basically it was like a a very thin tampon applicator. I did have to go through countless boxes of pantyliner's...but that is nothing compared to everything else! The way my bladder is getting I might have to do that anyway.
I wish all of you in this thread continued good health and success. Please send some of those lucky vibes my way. Boy I could use them PLEASE!!!

August 18th, 2011, 4:02 am #6

when I say that we wish only the best for you. In the world of IVF, DE or otherwise, nothing is certain, and everything is a wait and see situation. I know that it has been for me and many of the other women on this board. I just pray that all of our times will come and that we will all get to live out our dreams with little ones someday.

Thanks for the wishes for good health and success and I send those wishes back to you 10 fold!

cubb
cubb

August 18th, 2011, 10:13 am #7

You are too sweet. No such thing as too sweet right? But really what a wonderful reply. It really is making me smile real big
Would you mind sharing any of your steps that you think might of helped with your success? And since we are on the PIO stuff. I know it mimics preg(gosh does it), but is there any side affect you noticed that was not the norm...like smells and tastes? I do not remember those being listed or talked about on here. Just wondering.
Thanks again for being...YOU