We've hit a milestone (today), but should I be worried.

We've hit a milestone (today), but should I be worried.

June 20th, 2012, 2:28 am #1

Okay so our LO started rolling onto her tummy sporadically about 2 weeks ago, but we were able to roll her onto her back again, and she would either sleep there or roll to her side and sleep.

Tonight she started is rolling onto her tummy and there she sleeps now. My question is, should I be concerned that she's going to get stuck and that her breathing could be obstructed. Also what about SIDS concerns?

Once she's asleep, I tried several times to flip her back onto her back, but she immediately flips onto her stomach and thus far has turned her head to the side, and sleeps like the proverbial baby. I feel fine with her sleeping like this while I am still awake and watching her, but once I go to sleep, should I be concerned.

I looked at various sites on line, and they said that once your baby is strong enough to turn herself over, then she's fine, but so far our dd has not flipped from her stomach to her back (which the sites say typically happens first), in fact during her waking hours she has been resistant to tummy time...she likes to see everything, and since she can't take in the activity around her (including the antics of her 4 year old brother), she fusses to be picked up.

I just wonder if she is able to turn herself from tummy to back and has been holding out on me .

Anyway, bottom line...should I be worried, and can I sleep tonight -- with both eyes closed? (BTW, I am so proud of our little girl, who is already growing up too fast

June 20th, 2012, 5:17 am #2

There can't be anything for her to get her face pressed up against. You can't do anything about the stomach sleeping and please remember it's just a slight statistical differece, not a dangerous act that she's performing. Sleep tight!

June 20th, 2012, 5:58 am #3

I still love mine though it's getting to be time to wean from them.

June 20th, 2012, 10:45 am #4

Okay so our LO started rolling onto her tummy sporadically about 2 weeks ago, but we were able to roll her onto her back again, and she would either sleep there or roll to her side and sleep.

Tonight she started is rolling onto her tummy and there she sleeps now. My question is, should I be concerned that she's going to get stuck and that her breathing could be obstructed. Also what about SIDS concerns?

Once she's asleep, I tried several times to flip her back onto her back, but she immediately flips onto her stomach and thus far has turned her head to the side, and sleeps like the proverbial baby. I feel fine with her sleeping like this while I am still awake and watching her, but once I go to sleep, should I be concerned.

I looked at various sites on line, and they said that once your baby is strong enough to turn herself over, then she's fine, but so far our dd has not flipped from her stomach to her back (which the sites say typically happens first), in fact during her waking hours she has been resistant to tummy time...she likes to see everything, and since she can't take in the activity around her (including the antics of her 4 year old brother), she fusses to be picked up.

I just wonder if she is able to turn herself from tummy to back and has been holding out on me .

Anyway, bottom line...should I be worried, and can I sleep tonight -- with both eyes closed? (BTW, I am so proud of our little girl, who is already growing up too fast

Our DD did this at four months as well and I was concerned but DH was not.
What I learned is that in some countries babies are still put on their stomachs to sleep from the get go. I have a friend who was raised in a different country, who lives her now and she had her baby on her belly when she was born. That said, I do believe that at four months, the SIDS risk is lower.
We let our DD sleep on her belly when she turned herself over. We did have her on a wedge under the sheet of the mattress until she was 8 months.
I like th eidea of the safety monitor, if it makes you feel more at ease. We did not have one.

June 20th, 2012, 1:41 pm #5

I swear by a movement monitor called the SNUZA. We talk about it here and BT talks about her crib monitor too. Two options for you to sleep more peacefully

http://www.network54.com/Forum/247611/t ... NUZA%21%21

June 20th, 2012, 9:10 pm #6

but I still feel uneasy about her flipping. I guess I am one of those who gets concerned about unfounded "what ifs"...what if the battery is dead, what if the device malfunctions...

I wouldn't call myself a worrier, but I definitely hate feeling like I haven't covered every possibility and taken precautions.

I guess the mama bear syndrome won't wane until our kids are out of our homes...uh married....uh with kids of their own...okay, okay...never

June 21st, 2012, 1:57 am #7