Very nervous about my first PIO shot

Very nervous about my first PIO shot

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 16th, 2011, 12:59 am #1

I am completely chickening out looking at that long needle..also watched several youtube videos to get inspired, but not helping. I am thin and bony and thinking that this may be one of the times I regret it

Any tips ladies ? How did you handle the bugger ? DH says he will do it, but I am not sure about it - he cringed when he saw me sticking the tiny lupron needles in

September 16th, 2011, 1:07 am #2

I found that getting the less viscous pio was much better, injecting in the right area, and icing the area made a night and day difference to my pain levels the next day. I got the good pio from my clinic and they gave me a 25 gauge needle rather than the 22 I had been using. Heating the area afterwords helped too. I give myself the shots.
Best of luck.
Cheers
pict

E&H
E&H

September 16th, 2011, 1:09 am #3

I am completely chickening out looking at that long needle..also watched several youtube videos to get inspired, but not helping. I am thin and bony and thinking that this may be one of the times I regret it

Any tips ladies ? How did you handle the bugger ? DH says he will do it, but I am not sure about it - he cringed when he saw me sticking the tiny lupron needles in
I took vaginal suppositories which are just as good and save the needles.

September 16th, 2011, 1:13 am #4

I started with suppositories but levels too low so now on poi too

September 16th, 2011, 1:19 am #5

Skinny too, my nurse told me to eat cheeseburgers I said I can't as I am a vegetarion. We had a good laugh.
I am 5 hrs from my clinic, so when I went back and they saw how painfully I was walking they gave me the different poi and smaller needle and I had her mark a circle on each side where I should be injecting. Did not find the needle going in as painful as long as I iced for 15 mins.

SMRC
SMRC

September 16th, 2011, 1:24 am #6

Hi there - that PIO needle is always so darn intimidating!! I always had to have a sip or two of wine before giving it (quite seriously!). The key to remember is it really does not hurt - you have to make that first stab and it will slide in. Also keep your weight off of the side you are injecting to - it helps to keep the muscles loose (not tensed), which helps enormously. GL!

Melissa
Melissa

September 16th, 2011, 1:25 am #7

which I realize is PEANUTS compared to the weeks and weeks that many of you have done, and I had the opposite experience in that, for once, I was actually "glad" to have my little fatty layer on my butt/hips area. But, I did share your amazement at the size of that needle!!!! And the only thing that worked for me was to stop looking at it. Seriously. If you can get DH to even do the drawing up of the pio into the syringe and give you the shot, then go for it. If not, I would just recommend stop thinking about how big the needle is! Oh, and it really worked for me to lean over the bed, point my toes slightly inward so that I'm not engaging those muscles, and then shift all my weight to the side not getting the shot.

Good luck!!!!

M

September 16th, 2011, 1:29 am #8

Mine weren't PIO, they were that less viscous stuff... ethlyl oleate or something like that (see if you can get that, it's better!)... Anyway, I started by numbing the area with a prescription numbing cream, and then once I got good at it (which was pretty quickly), I just didn't bother. Just stick it in, it's really not so bad (I did them all myself).

Maya

Last edited by Maya3 on September 16th, 2011, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intermountain
Intermountain

September 16th, 2011, 1:36 am #9

It was me above as anon

September 16th, 2011, 1:38 am #10

Well, for my first shot I had my neighbor come over to do it. She is my age but actually was an egg donor in her 20's. She showed me the best spot and did the first shot for me. I think I may have iced it before hand. Yeah, I did ice. Then rubbed it around afterwards. Seriously, the fear is way worse than how it feels. I wouldn't let my DH do it after the first few times as he was so hesitant and slow that it hurt more! I got really good at it and could do those shots anywhere, anytime!