using frozen sperm

using frozen sperm

Dee
Dee

May 10th, 2012, 4:36 am #1

I am planning another DE cycle in August. Have to use frozen sperm this time, because it would save on travel costs (my husband won't need to fly to the clinic with me if we use frozen). Are there any problems with using frozen sperm instead of fresh?

Also I plan to transfer 3 fresh embryos, not just 2. Wonder if that would increase my chance significantly.

thesameboat
thesameboat

May 10th, 2012, 5:06 am #2

My first 5 DE transfers were with fresh sperm (well, one was frozen embryo). My 6th was a fresh cycle with frozen sperm. DD came from that cycle. I think nowadays it doesn't matter.

May 10th, 2012, 6:25 am #3

I am planning another DE cycle in August. Have to use frozen sperm this time, because it would save on travel costs (my husband won't need to fly to the clinic with me if we use frozen). Are there any problems with using frozen sperm instead of fresh?

Also I plan to transfer 3 fresh embryos, not just 2. Wonder if that would increase my chance significantly.
Hi,
We used frozen sperm and did ICSI and had a positive.
If your clinic has good success rates transfer two.
I know of several dear ladies who transferred three and had trouble with one or two not making it to the finish line. With twins you have great odds of both making it but put three into the equation and the odds plummet dramatically.
I transferred two when I did the sucessful cycle. We ended up with one.
best wishes to you and good luck THK

May 10th, 2012, 11:33 am #4

I would only transfer two.

Good luck

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 10th, 2012, 12:18 pm #5

and is now the mother of triplets. She had a great outcome, amazingly, and carried almost to term. Speaking purely from a mathematical perspective and excluding identical twinning, three gives you a 1.5x better chance at a singleton but a 3x greater chance of twins. And I am not sure what chance for triplets. Again speaking purely mathematically, if chance of a successsful singleton pregnancy from eSET is 50%, chance of triplets from transferring three is 12.5%. You have to decide if courting a high risk twin/triplet pregnancy is an acceptable risk for you and your prospective little ones.

May 10th, 2012, 3:35 pm #6

I don't know whether I could tx 2 today knowing what I know now. I think someone on this board counted 8? 11? instances on this board in recent years of women tx'ing 2 embies, having one split, and ending up with triplets. I don't think that total counted a friend of mine not on this board who had that happen, and she lost the whole pregnancy. Likewise, a newcomer posted to our local moms of multiples list that she had done an ESET, but still ended up with twins. So, you're at great enough risk of triplets w/tx'ing two. Really, really think it over. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Dee
Dee

May 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm #7

and is now the mother of triplets. She had a great outcome, amazingly, and carried almost to term. Speaking purely from a mathematical perspective and excluding identical twinning, three gives you a 1.5x better chance at a singleton but a 3x greater chance of twins. And I am not sure what chance for triplets. Again speaking purely mathematically, if chance of a successsful singleton pregnancy from eSET is 50%, chance of triplets from transferring three is 12.5%. You have to decide if courting a high risk twin/triplet pregnancy is an acceptable risk for you and your prospective little ones.
My husband has poor quality sperm, and we are actually thinking about moving on to sperm donor if this cycle does not work, even though his fertility doctor thinks he should continue using his own sperm. I think that may be why we get poor results from each DE cycle. That's why I am considering having 3 transferred. I think there might be a small chance of twins and a zero chance of triplets.

I wonder if anyone else has ever gotten pregnant with multiples, when their partner had poor quality sperm. I have to wonder if multiples are even a risk, in a situation with poor sperm.

Dee
Dee

May 10th, 2012, 4:58 pm #8

I don't know whether I could tx 2 today knowing what I know now. I think someone on this board counted 8? 11? instances on this board in recent years of women tx'ing 2 embies, having one split, and ending up with triplets. I don't think that total counted a friend of mine not on this board who had that happen, and she lost the whole pregnancy. Likewise, a newcomer posted to our local moms of multiples list that she had done an ESET, but still ended up with twins. So, you're at great enough risk of triplets w/tx'ing two. Really, really think it over. Take care, Maggie (in VA)
does it make a difference whether it is a 3 day transfer or a 5 day transfer?

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 10th, 2012, 5:26 pm #9

My husband has poor quality sperm, and we are actually thinking about moving on to sperm donor if this cycle does not work, even though his fertility doctor thinks he should continue using his own sperm. I think that may be why we get poor results from each DE cycle. That's why I am considering having 3 transferred. I think there might be a small chance of twins and a zero chance of triplets.

I wonder if anyone else has ever gotten pregnant with multiples, when their partner had poor quality sperm. I have to wonder if multiples are even a risk, in a situation with poor sperm.
for final cycle that produced triplets. The only reasons I risked it for my cycle were that the embryos were over 13 yrs old, had been thawed and refrozen, and had not been chosen for three prior transfers. I thought transferring three was the best way to have a shot at one healthy baby. Instead, I ended up with twins at 25 weeks and still feel guilty that I was too cavalier and so sure that "it would never happen to me" if I did everything right. I am very, very lucky they are actually here and relatively healthy now - I did not want to know then but calculated in retrospect that under the circumstances I had little over a one in three chance of taking home two little ones with no moderate to major health or developmental issues. That we could have had other outcomes, especially the most tragic outcome, is always with me. If I could go back in time, I would have transferred just two and lowered my risk of twins substantially.

Dee
Dee

May 10th, 2012, 6:18 pm #10

about your friend, at what point, and why did she decide to move on to donor sperm? Did she not have any success in previous DE cycles? Just curious. I want to know a lot before we move on to DS. I honestly don't see this next cycle working for me, using his own frozen sperm.