Update on Triplets

Update on Triplets

August 3rd, 2015, 10:31 am #1

Hi! I had asked a question about the NICU a few months back and wanted to provide an update, in case anyone wondered.

I had the triplets as scheduled at 34 weeks. We took them early because Baby C was measuring 25% off of baby B, but she WAS NOT when she was born. Baby A was 4 pounds, 12oz, Baby B was 4lbs, 2oz and Baby C was 3lbs 15oz. However, it was good we took early since Baby C had her cord wrapped around her foot (tightly) and neck (loosely). A and C came home after 20 days, B came home after 22 days.

I did compare my baby pictures with them and sadly I don't look anything like them. I don't know why I was surprised, maybe just a tiny bit of me hoped they'd look a bit like me. The boy does look a lot like my husband though. I don't think about the donor part of it too much though, except to dread slightly how I am going to tell them.

August 3rd, 2015, 2:55 pm #2

Congratulations on the three little angels! Happy to hear they're all safe and sound. . As for telling them, there are a bunch of little kid books on Amazon that gently explain it. I bought about 7 of them and they're all great. They all seem to be for slightly different ages. Some are somewhat graphic and actually explain sperm, etc so my husband and I will read that one when they're a bit older. Meanwhile, we incorporate the most gentle books in our bedtime sleep routine to our 5 month old twins. (We read to them every night)

We want it to be a familiar story so it's easier to talk about when they're ready to understand.

Until then, enjoy!
Lauren

August 3rd, 2015, 4:21 pm #3

Hi! I had asked a question about the NICU a few months back and wanted to provide an update, in case anyone wondered.

I had the triplets as scheduled at 34 weeks. We took them early because Baby C was measuring 25% off of baby B, but she WAS NOT when she was born. Baby A was 4 pounds, 12oz, Baby B was 4lbs, 2oz and Baby C was 3lbs 15oz. However, it was good we took early since Baby C had her cord wrapped around her foot (tightly) and neck (loosely). A and C came home after 20 days, B came home after 22 days.

I did compare my baby pictures with them and sadly I don't look anything like them. I don't know why I was surprised, maybe just a tiny bit of me hoped they'd look a bit like me. The boy does look a lot like my husband though. I don't think about the donor part of it too much though, except to dread slightly how I am going to tell them.
As soon my dd came out of csection I looked at her to see who she looks. Her features changed a lot as time passed. How many embryos did you transfer?

August 3rd, 2015, 5:55 pm #4

Congrats on your new family!! I'm glad everyone is home, safe and doing well.

August 3rd, 2015, 6:50 pm #5

I am so glad they are all at home with you. While they may not look like you now, things change as they grow. Even if your children don't resemble you physically, they certainly take on your voice patterns, turn of phrase etc. to become mini mummies.

It can be poignant to never see yourself perhaps in the way other parents with genetically related children do, but it is for me, only a passing thing now and I am amazed daily at how they are growing into beautiful individual children and how lovely looking their donors must have been!

In terms of support with telling your children, I can really recommend having a look at the Donor Conception Network website. They produce books on telling for parents and children. I have read their books to my two since they were about two.

You can join from anywhere in the world and they have members in the USA.

Here is a link. You can order their publications from anywhere in the world.

They also have DVDs of young donor conceived people/adults talking about their experiences and that may be of interest. It is very positive!

http://www.dcnetwork.org/catalog

Best wishes to you and your family!

Daisy xx

Last edited by loochieuk on August 3rd, 2015, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2015, 8:12 pm #6

Wow! This went well in the end, didn't it?! What wonderful news!

Re: looking like and telling.... I know ONE child who looked like her dad from the beginning. Newborns change dramatically into toddlers, who often look NOTHING like the adults they will become. So don't get ahead of yourself there. These children will become so familiar to you, you'll wonder what you were looking for. They're going to be perfect and perfectly themselves.

We hadn't really planned on telling but DD's blood type came out 'wrong' and not what should have been possible. (Donor info was wrong) I've 'told' her maybe twice a year from the time she was about 18 months old. She's 6 now and can't really understand it all yet. I do worry sometimes that she'll tell one specific friend of hers, a girl who I think has the potential to grow up to be a 'mean' girl. So far, she's been very good at understanding that some things are private.

I think telling early helps ME to tell her as there's not a big, heart pounding workup to telling that way, so I can do it somewhat matter-of-factly.

August 4th, 2015, 2:03 pm #7

Yeah, U/S weight measurements can be really inaccurate, and I imagine having triplets only makes that more probable. Those are really excellent weights for 34 weekers! I know that sense of shock when you see your DE babies. Since I cycled in a country in the region where my DH's ancestors came from, one looks a bit like him; the other looks, hmmmm, like my nieces and nephew whose paternal grandmother came from the country where I cycled. Anyway, yes, it's more about being concerned about their discomfort than my feelings now.

I'm sure you've got your hands full, and I hope you're loving it!

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

August 4th, 2015, 2:31 pm #8

...that with triplets, you are clearly organised enough to write us your fabulous update ! ( I'm not sure I was out of my pyjamas at this stage HUGE congrats on the safe delivery of your gorgeous kiddos. You never know what might happen as they grow. My son was eerily like me as an infant but as he grows he's losing that.....so you might find the reverse ! You will find a way to tell them. I've been telling my son a very simple version since he was born ("Once upon a time, there was a mummy who wanted a baby very much. And she tried and she tried but no baby came....") and when we were looking at pictures of baby birds the other day, and I pointed at the shells and reminded him they came out of the eggs (he knows that, he's fascinated by it) he got excited and pointed to himself as well (he isn't talking much as yet). I had only that morning told him the "egg lady" story again, so even at 16 months, he's starting to pick it up....in a very sweet way. I've just joined the UK donor conception network (I am in Asia) and they have a whole ton of resources and people to help....

In the meantime, just relish these days. I can't imagine how overwhelming triplets are (really....can't imagine at all) but that first year is SO fast as they grow and change.....

Congrats on being a mum many times over !

Al

August 5th, 2015, 3:47 am #9

You will be amazed how much they change over time. I remember searching the face of my 1st born. My boys are now 7 & 5, & they look so different now than they did in the beginning. They really become their own selves over time. 34 weeks is amazing! Best wishes.

August 5th, 2015, 4:50 pm #10

...that with triplets, you are clearly organised enough to write us your fabulous update ! ( I'm not sure I was out of my pyjamas at this stage HUGE congrats on the safe delivery of your gorgeous kiddos. You never know what might happen as they grow. My son was eerily like me as an infant but as he grows he's losing that.....so you might find the reverse ! You will find a way to tell them. I've been telling my son a very simple version since he was born ("Once upon a time, there was a mummy who wanted a baby very much. And she tried and she tried but no baby came....") and when we were looking at pictures of baby birds the other day, and I pointed at the shells and reminded him they came out of the eggs (he knows that, he's fascinated by it) he got excited and pointed to himself as well (he isn't talking much as yet). I had only that morning told him the "egg lady" story again, so even at 16 months, he's starting to pick it up....in a very sweet way. I've just joined the UK donor conception network (I am in Asia) and they have a whole ton of resources and people to help....

In the meantime, just relish these days. I can't imagine how overwhelming triplets are (really....can't imagine at all) but that first year is SO fast as they grow and change.....

Congrats on being a mum many times over !

Al
I find weird times like watching kids movie rise of the guardians with my 5 year old (If you havent seen it easter bunny shows how he hides eggs - they have little legs!!! So cute!) it sparked a conversation about our kids were from eggs with legs hee hee! There is also a utube video of a daughter and mom and daughter saying how her mom proudly told her her dancing ability came from donor! I cant believe u had triplets so awesome!!!!!