Update on my test results from miscarriages--need advice

Update on my test results from miscarriages--need advice

Jennifer
Jennifer

January 8th, 2011, 4:45 pm #1

Hi ladies,
Not sure if any of you remember me, I had two miscarriages with donor egg (got pregnant both times, miscarried both time). I am hoping for any insight you guys might have!

The D&C came back normal chromosomally (female though, so could be erroneous).
All my immune and clotting tests came back NORMAL, except MTHFR BUT i do not have elevated homocysteine levels so Dr said it was not relevant (apparently almost 1/2 the population has a mutation here, only a certain one causes problems).

My RE wants to go ahead with the last embryos we have, using low dose aspirin (we used this before, he uses it on all his patients) and Lovenox as a protective measure. My Gyno wants to me to go see a reproductive immunologist, who can rule out anything else before we cycle with our last embryos (why do the stakes have to be so high?). I have scheduled this appointment but am freaking out as we are now self pay and I know the reproductive immune stuff can be waaaaaay pricey.

Anyway, I am wanting to know what you guys think: 2 miscarriages (one after heartbeat!) and no apparent problems?? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

jennifer

January 8th, 2011, 4:58 pm #2

Shouldn't your insurance cover repeat miscarriage diagnostics?

Also, did you see the below thread? I don't think I was the only one who finally found success after adding lovenox (and in my case, also high EPA fish oil and I corrected a vitamin D deficiency prior).

May this next one be your golden ticket.

January 8th, 2011, 6:03 pm #3

Hi ladies,
Not sure if any of you remember me, I had two miscarriages with donor egg (got pregnant both times, miscarried both time). I am hoping for any insight you guys might have!

All my immune and clotting tests came back NORMAL, except MTHFR BUT i do not have elevated homocysteine levels so Dr said it was not relevant (apparently almost 1/2 the population has a mutation here, only a certain one causes problems).

My RE wants to go ahead with the last embryos we have, using low dose aspirin (we used this before, he uses it on all his patients) and Lovenox as a protective measure. My Gyno wants to me to go see a reproductive immunologist, who can rule out anything else before we cycle with our last embryos (why do the stakes have to be so high?). I have scheduled this appointment but am freaking out as we are now self pay and I know the reproductive immune stuff can be waaaaaay pricey.

Anyway, I am wanting to know what you guys think: 2 miscarriages (one after heartbeat!) and no apparent problems?? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

jennifer
I believe there only three in the US, maybe more, now. I used Millenova and has everything shipped to Chicago. It has since changed names. I did all of the test and they all came back normal. However, I kept M/Cing. We decided to treat me as though I had immune issues. I did Lovenox, Folgard 2.2 and low term Prednisone.

You might also want to get Dh checked for Sperm DNA Integrity Test. If he has this issue, it will not prevent your from getting PG, but can cause M/C. My Dh did have this issue and we were able to turn it around with an antioxidant protocol. We did this test before we ever cycled, so it was not a factor in my M/C's.

I am sorry you are going through this. I completely understand the financial impact. We were completely self-pay and spent more than $160,000. We now have three children.

January 8th, 2011, 6:31 pm #4

On the flip side, I tested off the charts high for NK cells and told I'd never be able to conceive on my own, and with IVF would need IVIG before and during pregnancy. Also told I would need Lovenox for some blood clotting issue (but later a high risk OB said that test result was related to blood clotting in MY body, and would not cross the placenta, and he was right). Well, the month before my cycle I conceived naturally and the RE couldn't explain that one. He literally said, "You shouldn't have been able to conceive at all". Well, that conception is now 4 years old. With my DE pregnancy I needed nothing at all. So what I was told were serious immune issues didn't even exist. I know that many women do have problems that need treatment, but I think it's not always clear.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 8th, 2011, 9:07 pm #5

I believe there only three in the US, maybe more, now. I used Millenova and has everything shipped to Chicago. It has since changed names. I did all of the test and they all came back normal. However, I kept M/Cing. We decided to treat me as though I had immune issues. I did Lovenox, Folgard 2.2 and low term Prednisone.

You might also want to get Dh checked for Sperm DNA Integrity Test. If he has this issue, it will not prevent your from getting PG, but can cause M/C. My Dh did have this issue and we were able to turn it around with an antioxidant protocol. We did this test before we ever cycled, so it was not a factor in my M/C's.

I am sorry you are going through this. I completely understand the financial impact. We were completely self-pay and spent more than $160,000. We now have three children.
I just had "Natural Killer Cell Surface Ag (antigen)" test run through LabCorp. No special lab needed. Just regular blood draw and results were back in 2 days.

January 8th, 2011, 9:17 pm #6

Hi ladies,

Thanks!

jennifer
very early though like 5 wks. Tested pos for one mutation of MTHFR, too. Was then put on Lovenox for a FET and transferred 3 embies, one finally took and now have a 3wk old boy. We did 5 DE transfers total and then success. We don't know if Lovenox helped but thats the cycle that worked. Could have just been bad embryos and really bad luck....
I would try Lovenox on your next cycle definitely, and best of luck. Our first donor did not work, 2nd donor only FET worked, so sometimes it takes more cycles for some of us. Persistence pays I've noticed!!!!

zane

macphee
macphee

January 8th, 2011, 10:32 pm #7

Hi ladies,

Thanks!

jennifer
I think the embryo quality wasn't good but RE's disagree. I went forward w/ two more transfers and got chemical and bfn. I did have a vascular consult recently who said it was my choice to try lovenox w/ a new donor cycle. HE said there are likely clotting disorders that haven't been discovered and Lovenox could help in that case.

If you think your embryos are good and donor has good history, I would do more testing. I wasted more months with 2 more FET transfers. MC's waste a tremendous amount of time as you wait for hcg to go down to 0 -- never mind the heartache.

It's possible insurance would cover testing. After my insurance co denied ART, I still went for consults and testing. They require preapproval for ivf, de and FET's but not other services.

IMO I think you should leave no stone unturned as long as finances permit.

macphee
macphee

January 8th, 2011, 10:32 pm #8

Hi ladies,

Thanks!

jennifer
I think the embryo quality wasn't good but RE's disagree. I went forward w/ two more transfers and got chemical and bfn. I did have a vascular consult recently who said it was my choice to try lovenox w/ a new donor cycle. HE said there are likely clotting disorders that haven't been discovered and Lovenox could help in that case.

If you think your embryos are good and donor has good history, I would do more testing. I wasted more months with 2 more FET transfers. MC's waste a tremendous amount of time as you wait for hcg to go down to 0 -- never mind the heartache.

It's possible insurance would cover testing. After my insurance co denied ART, I still went for consults and testing. They require preapproval for ivf, de and FET's but not other services.

IMO I think you should leave no stone unturned as long as finances permit.

Kacee
Kacee

January 8th, 2011, 10:54 pm #9

I just had "Natural Killer Cell Surface Ag (antigen)" test run through LabCorp. No special lab needed. Just regular blood draw and results were back in 2 days.
nt

Kacee
Kacee

January 8th, 2011, 10:54 pm #10

Hi ladies,

Thanks!

jennifer
http://www.millenova.com/tests/panels.cfm