Update on my money talk for the Fertility show, UK

Update on my money talk for the Fertility show, UK

November 19th, 2014, 9:41 am #1

Hi everyone - this is just to say thank you for everyone who contributed to my question about money and fertility treatment I posted a weeks ago. I used some of your comments and I think all your points.

I was frankly terrified delivering the talk which shocked me because I am normally a confident speaker. I think it was a 'dangerous' topic for people, as in the UK we have culture of having the state pay for healthcare, and people get outraged at having to think up alternatives. The talk received mixed feedback, some raved, some scathing, and most good to excellent. I'm not sure whether they will ask me back, but I hope they do because I want to do it better next time.

The next stage for me is to publish an ebook along the same theme and offer this for free to the audience who expressed an interest and to a wider population, and I'm working on that now. If anyone wants to comment on a draft, please let me know, would really appreciate your thoughts, as always.

November 19th, 2014, 6:20 pm #2

First, good work on your presentation! I'm not a confident public speaker, so I admire just that portion of your accomplishment. In the U.S., as you know, most IF treatment comes out of pocket, and I think people are just more resigned than anything else. It sounds as though it took a lot of courage to do what you did. I can imagine it upsets people in the U.K., because you're taxed more heavily on your incomes, right?, so having to come up with OOP medical expenses must be even harder than it is for us. Of course, our lighter taxation also means that there's no universal health care, no state-provided or mandated paid maternity leave, little subsidized child care, and spotty early intervention services. I wish you the best of luck with your ebook! Maggie (in VA)

November 19th, 2014, 7:29 pm #3

Hi everyone - this is just to say thank you for everyone who contributed to my question about money and fertility treatment I posted a weeks ago. I used some of your comments and I think all your points.

I was frankly terrified delivering the talk which shocked me because I am normally a confident speaker. I think it was a 'dangerous' topic for people, as in the UK we have culture of having the state pay for healthcare, and people get outraged at having to think up alternatives. The talk received mixed feedback, some raved, some scathing, and most good to excellent. I'm not sure whether they will ask me back, but I hope they do because I want to do it better next time.

The next stage for me is to publish an ebook along the same theme and offer this for free to the audience who expressed an interest and to a wider population, and I'm working on that now. If anyone wants to comment on a draft, please let me know, would really appreciate your thoughts, as always.
What a great thing you are doing! The following resources are all US-based but you may find them helpful:

The first is RESOLVe: the National Infertility Association. You can find a wealth of information on affording treatment on the website...resolve.org

Secondly, check out Creating a Family at creatingafamily.org. She has hit this topic many, many times and is also a wealth of information. (and the best adoption information anywhere! Period!)

Thirdly (and may be a bit dated, a friend of mine worte a book several years ago that was published by Randon House. It is called "Budgeting for Infertility." The author, Dr. Evelina Sterling is the same author who wrote the fist comprehensive book on donor gametes.

This should give you a good idea of the US market!

November 19th, 2014, 7:38 pm #4

Piper, do you know whether RESOLVE has people going to this?

http://newamerica.org/future-tense/will ... echnology/

I went crazy and decided to burn a few hours of precious leave to attend it (which I'll regret during the first snow storm), and it looks as though they've invited the bioconservative Center for Genetics and Society. They also have an ASRM rep, but I don't see RESOLVE representation, which I find fairly disturbing.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

ETA: OK, I see that the Cade Foundation will be there, though, and they seem like allies. I wasn't familiar with them.

Last edited by maggie1961 on November 19th, 2014, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 20th, 2014, 2:34 am #5

Good luck with your book. You are doing a great thing. I just found out that a friend's son and DIL just lost $20,000 on a failed adoption with no recourse. They did a few failed ivf cycles and had miscarriages. They told her it was her eggs. They decided to go to adoption thinking it was a more sure thing. Now they are devastated and out of money. They're are looking into donor embryo though. But first they need to grieve the loss of the adoption.

I know I put myself in a bad financial position in order to have ds. And there is no way I could afford more. But oh so worth it.

November 20th, 2014, 2:58 pm #6

Piper, do you know whether RESOLVE has people going to this?

http://newamerica.org/future-tense/will ... echnology/

I went crazy and decided to burn a few hours of precious leave to attend it (which I'll regret during the first snow storm), and it looks as though they've invited the bioconservative Center for Genetics and Society. They also have an ASRM rep, but I don't see RESOLVE representation, which I find fairly disturbing.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

ETA: OK, I see that the Cade Foundation will be there, though, and they seem like allies. I wasn't familiar with them.
And yes!