Update on me (preg ment--not me)

Update on me (preg ment--not me)

February 11th, 2011, 1:52 pm #1

I know several of you had asked about my cycle. I had POAS and thought it was a BFN, but it turned out to be a very early chemical pregnancy. Beta was barely over 5.

I spoke to the RE yesterday. He seemed confident that the reason for the failure was the eggs. He was disappointed in both the number and quality of embryos we ended up with. I asked if it could be a sperm issue, but he said that would be very unusual & unlikely. Also, we were in the 3:1 program at SG and only one of the recipients ended up with good embryos and is pregnant. Other recipient also had bad embryos and a BFN.

So, I do feel better after speaking with the RE. I guess we will try again. Feels so overwhelming right now.

Thanks for all your support. I had been more of a lurker here, but I will start posting more and be more supportive to everyone else.

wt
wt

February 11th, 2011, 2:09 pm #2

It must be so frustrating to hear that. I know it happens a lot but each time we get our hopes up. Take care of yourself, rest, pamper and get ready for the next go round. One of these times it WILL work! Big hugs.

Rachel

February 11th, 2011, 3:33 pm #3

I know several of you had asked about my cycle. I had POAS and thought it was a BFN, but it turned out to be a very early chemical pregnancy. Beta was barely over 5.

I spoke to the RE yesterday. He seemed confident that the reason for the failure was the eggs. He was disappointed in both the number and quality of embryos we ended up with. I asked if it could be a sperm issue, but he said that would be very unusual & unlikely. Also, we were in the 3:1 program at SG and only one of the recipients ended up with good embryos and is pregnant. Other recipient also had bad embryos and a BFN.

So, I do feel better after speaking with the RE. I guess we will try again. Feels so overwhelming right now.

Thanks for all your support. I had been more of a lurker here, but I will start posting more and be more supportive to everyone else.
Oh I'm so sorry!! At least the RE thinks it's the donor and not you. It still sucks and is heartache!! HUGS!!
Last edited by lenebene on February 12th, 2011, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 11th, 2011, 7:05 pm #4

is such an emotional bumpy ride, even in the best of circumstances. You get pregnant, then you worry about whether you'll be able to maintain the pregnancy. You don't get pregnant, you wonder what you might have done differently that would have brought a different conclusion.

It's unfortunate about the donor's egg quality. That is one of those areas that is no way in our control, but it doesn't make it any easier when we enter a cycle and do all those things that we've been instructed to do, and we still end up with a bfn.

I also find it interesting when I hear that some women get donors who produce 15 + eggs for a single recipient, while at some places where there's a 3:1 split, the number of eggs produced is much more conservative. Is there anyone on the board who has gotten more than 5 eggs in a 3:1 split at SG or any other clinic that offers that kind of service?

February 11th, 2011, 7:33 pm #5

Your cycle is so similar to my first cycle at SG. My RE said the same thing, it was the donor, and in hindsight, I believe this was the case. The other 2 recips in my cycle had BFN. I was thinking sperm issue as well, but the next cycle was successful. I know that it is a pain to have to go through this process again, but it really does give you peace of mind to have a guarantee.

Just wanted to add, that I asked RE about adding assisted hatching for the next cycle and she was for this. However, I never actually found out if they did AH for my second cycle. I never asked, since the embies were doing so well and graded the highest quality.

Take care and look forward to reading about a positive in the near future.
Last edited by dnj01 on February 11th, 2011, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 11th, 2011, 8:08 pm #6

is such an emotional bumpy ride, even in the best of circumstances. You get pregnant, then you worry about whether you'll be able to maintain the pregnancy. You don't get pregnant, you wonder what you might have done differently that would have brought a different conclusion.

It's unfortunate about the donor's egg quality. That is one of those areas that is no way in our control, but it doesn't make it any easier when we enter a cycle and do all those things that we've been instructed to do, and we still end up with a bfn.

I also find it interesting when I hear that some women get donors who produce 15 + eggs for a single recipient, while at some places where there's a 3:1 split, the number of eggs produced is much more conservative. Is there anyone on the board who has gotten more than 5 eggs in a 3:1 split at SG or any other clinic that offers that kind of service?
For my second cycle, they retreived 32 eggs. I received 11 and 9 were mature.

Did you find out your placement for your cycle?

Leigh888
Leigh888

February 11th, 2011, 8:09 pm #7

If you look on the SG website at the DE stats, it looks like the average eggs received/recipient in the 3:1 program is just under 7. So, I do think this donor had a below average response rate. I know someone else who is in the 2:1 program there and received 14 eggs, so her donor produced 28 mature eggs.

Leigh888
Leigh888

February 11th, 2011, 8:12 pm #8

Your cycle is so similar to my first cycle at SG. My RE said the same thing, it was the donor, and in hindsight, I believe this was the case. The other 2 recips in my cycle had BFN. I was thinking sperm issue as well, but the next cycle was successful. I know that it is a pain to have to go through this process again, but it really does give you peace of mind to have a guarantee.

Just wanted to add, that I asked RE about adding assisted hatching for the next cycle and she was for this. However, I never actually found out if they did AH for my second cycle. I never asked, since the embies were doing so well and graded the highest quality.

Your story gives me hope!

February 11th, 2011, 8:16 pm #9

After that first failed cycle, I requested for my RE to authorize thrombophilia panel and she did. I had lining issues, but also wanted to make sure that I did not have any clotting issues. I did discover that I was homozygous for 2 copies C for MTHFR. So, we did add Lovenox for second cycle. Not sure if it contributed to the success of my cycle, but I did not want to leave any stones unturned. Have you had these tests done? I do recommend them, if you can get RE to authorize it.

February 11th, 2011, 8:22 pm #10

I have had them tested. I am also positive for MTHFR, but the a type. My homocystine levels were normal, so we added folgard, but not lovenox. I also tested borderline positive for a protein S deficiency and borderline positive for APAs. When retested, they were normal. I discussed with the RE and a hematologist and we decided not to use lovenox next time. I am a little nervous about using lovenox so I am comfortable with this decision. If we transfer perfect blasts and still no success, we will likely add it. I am also going to ask to have the protein S & APAs retested before we cycle again, just to make sure they are still normal.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Leigh888 on February 11th, 2011, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.