typical dosages of estrogen & progesterone during 2ww?

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 31st, 2014, 4:17 am #1

How much estrogen and progesterone do people take during 2ww? And if all goes well, how much afterwards and for how long?

My first ever transfer is scheduled for this weekend . I am daily on 1ml/50mg POI + 3 times per day Endometrin, and 6mg Estrace. Isn't this a lot of progesterone? I had the impression that it's usually one of POI or suppositories, not both.

Al
Al

January 31st, 2014, 5:42 am #2

Good luck for a successful transfer and outcome My transfer was really icky but (so far) the outcome has been good.

I cycled at SD.fC (they have a really good outcome rate) and my post transfer schedule was endometrin a.m and p.m and estrace 2 x a.m and 3 x p.m for a total of 10mg estrogen a day.

I didn't have to use the PIO (although I travelled from overseas into the U.S to cycle and there was an issue with giving me that many needles onboard a plane.....I suspect there'd have been some PIO if I was local or even in-U.S) and my nurse said they had just as good outcomes without it. Outside the U.S I know PIO is seldom if ever used (I'm Australian and cycled there and in Asia and endometrin or crinone - or similar - are used exclusively).

OTOH, I've been told many times you can never have too much progesterone.

If you can handle the PIO then I guess you're stuck with it but the one (OE) cycle I used PIO it was vile (really bad gastro reactions for me) so I'd be asking to stop that as a first line. The oral estrace and pessary endometrin worked fine for me...

good luck - hoping to read a BFP post in 10 days or so !

Al

January 31st, 2014, 11:48 am #3

How much estrogen and progesterone do people take during 2ww? And if all goes well, how much afterwards and for how long?

My first ever transfer is scheduled for this weekend . I am daily on 1ml/50mg POI + 3 times per day Endometrin, and 6mg Estrace. Isn't this a lot of progesterone? I had the impression that it's usually one of POI or suppositories, not both.
IM injection 3x/day? Pretty brutal. Not sure I've heard of any clinic asking that. I cycled overseas, and they only prescribe PIO if the patient requests it or has a demonstrated history of low P4 on cycles. My protocol was 2 mg. estradiol 4x/day (upped from their standard 3x due to some issues timing AF on my first cycle), 200 mg Prometrium/Utrogestan 3x/day, and 1 applicator of Crinone at bedtime.

You're the second woman I've heard saying here that her protocol did not include any oral P4, and I'm wondering if there has been some new research about its efficacy.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)

Anne
Anne

January 31st, 2014, 2:29 pm #4

I think the OP is saying PIO once a day and the suppositories are 3x a day?

I did a combination dose, it was 2cc PIO and 2 prometrium vaginally daily. When you use two ways you don't have to worry about any possible dips or big variations in P4 level, you're always covered if (G*d forbid) you accidentally miss a dose or if you are a poor or inconsistent absorber, there will be no ebb and flow of P4 levels. Hopefully you will be successful, they weaned the PIO fairly quickly and dropped the vaginal pills later.

The clinic did give me the option of no PIO if shots were a problem, but I don't mind shots and I don't know what the alternative plan would have been.

January 31st, 2014, 2:53 pm #5

But I found the Crinone at least somewhat irritating, and I know others have with suppositories, so I would still not like to have to be doing vaginal P4 24/7. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

January 31st, 2014, 3:21 pm #6

This current cycle I was told just 2 crinone a day. My levels were only at 5 with that which made me too anxious. I added a 3rd and it went to 7. Then I,switched to 1cc PIO and 1 crinone..unfortunately I didn't get past that next beta. My level was a 12 at that stage. I was previously told by another doctor that you couldn't overdo,p4 and that has always stuck with me. The only thing I will say is that too much in the vagina seems to cause irritation to the cervix. I am now a PIO convert but will still use 1 crinone a day just to get it at the source.

Mimi
Mimi

January 31st, 2014, 4:28 pm #7

I'm on both, same dose as you. I also do 1 Estrace daily, and four Vivelle patches every other day. Seems like a lot to me but my clinic thinks it's normal, and I'm pregnant, so yay!

Mimi
Mimi

January 31st, 2014, 4:29 pm #8

IM injection 3x/day? Pretty brutal. Not sure I've heard of any clinic asking that. I cycled overseas, and they only prescribe PIO if the patient requests it or has a demonstrated history of low P4 on cycles. My protocol was 2 mg. estradiol 4x/day (upped from their standard 3x due to some issues timing AF on my first cycle), 200 mg Prometrium/Utrogestan 3x/day, and 1 applicator of Crinone at bedtime.

You're the second woman I've heard saying here that her protocol did not include any oral P4, and I'm wondering if there has been some new research about its efficacy.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)
If I read her post correctly, she has one PIO shot daily and 3 Endometrins daily.

Mimi
Mimi

January 31st, 2014, 4:34 pm #9

I'm on both, same dose as you. I also do 1 Estrace daily, and four Vivelle patches every other day. Seems like a lot to me but my clinic thinks it's normal, and I'm pregnant, so yay!
My PIO shots are every OTHER day, not every day.

My husband seems to be a genius with them. I have a friend who misread the instructions for her PIO and her husband was injecting them at the wrong angle, which hurt a LOT... she would lean against a counter and he would basically point the needle at the floor and inject. The angle you want is 90 degrees from the body, like perpendicular with your body.

Here's what we do (or rather what my husband does):
- Heats up one of those microwave pillows that's full of seeds or grains or whatever, then pulls it out when it's quite warm (not hot but nice and warm) and wraps it around the progesterone bottle. Lets it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Does all the stuff with the alcohol, needles, etc.
- Meanwhile I lie down on the bed or a couch. I lay face down before I was pregnant; now I lay at a tilt, with pillows in front of me. Lying down means your butt muscles are not engaged at all; they're more relaxed so it's easier.
- He brings the needle over, along with an alcohol wipe and some gauze or paper towel in case there's bleeding, as well as a bandaid and the microwave pillow (still warm, for me to hold against my bottom when the shot is done).
- He finds the spot, alcohols it, does the shot, and puts gauze on. I hold the gauze down tight while he gets rid of the needle.
- He puts a bandaid on me and then I hold the microwave pillow there for a little while. Sometimes I rub it.

And I swear, it's usually PAINLESS and at most is just minimal pain!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 3rd, 2014, 1:44 am #10

Feeling much more relaxed about those dosages after what you've all said. Lets see how it goes...

Yes, thank God the PIO is one time per day only . Only the Endometrin is 3 times. The PIO shots so far have not been too bad, I hope it stays this way.