troubling sonogram report (x-post)

troubling sonogram report (x-post)

July 4th, 2011, 7:25 pm #1

We stopped by the rediology department at the hospital to pick up a copy of the Emergency Room sonogram report so that we can take it to our REs office tomorrow when we go in for this hopefully not ill-fated ultrasound.

This is what the report says:

"Findings: There is an intrauterine gestational sac with irregular contour and abnormal trophoblastic ring....Impression: An embryonic sonographically abnormal intrauterine gestational sac five weeks."

WTH??? They made no mention of any abnormal anything when we were there. They told me everything looked exactly as it should. I have no idea what this means, Google notwithsatanding. Lord, I wish I didn't have any of this information.

All I'm seeing are the words "irregular" and "abnormal". I've been here before.
Last edited by elseeG on July 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 4th, 2011, 7:51 pm #2

& it turned out OK.

Anon7
Anon7

July 4th, 2011, 8:21 pm #3

We stopped by the rediology department at the hospital to pick up a copy of the Emergency Room sonogram report so that we can take it to our REs office tomorrow when we go in for this hopefully not ill-fated ultrasound.

"Findings: There is an intrauterine gestational sac with irregular contour and abnormal trophoblastic ring....Impression: An embryonic sonographically abnormal intrauterine gestational sac five weeks."

WTH??? They made no mention of any abnormal anything when we were there. They told me everything looked exactly as it should. I have no idea what this means, Google notwithsatanding. Lord, I wish I didn't have any of this information.

I would be googling the report as well. I'm glad you've got the u/s tomorrow. I won't even try to guess why the words 'abnormal' were in the report. Sometimes ER docs and technicians jump the gun on things. I could relay a story about a health scare that happened to me this past year, that turned out fine, but it's not to do with pg and it's long-winded. Bottom line: the ER had me terrified, and jumped to all of these conclusions that proved to be untrue. I ended up being fine.

I'm hoping for this outcome for you. Why on earth they'd put something in the report and not mention it to you is beyond me. I'll be looking for your update tomorrow.

minniet
minniet

July 4th, 2011, 9:19 pm #4

I know you will be troubled and frightened, but try to remember that they know nothing about this. It's July. New residents are arriving to start their training at the hospital. Old ER docs don't know anything about pregnancy (especially early pregnancy) other than the very worst. They certainly know nothing about a pregnancy at this stage --

Try to be easy on yourself and know that only your RE can read an US, and even then, they often have to wait to see what your little bean does.

Sending you huge hugs. I wish you could have a glass of wine, but you have your little bean to take care of. Just remember, an ER has no idea how to interpret data on a pregnancy of a few weeks time.

July 4th, 2011, 9:40 pm #5

I was off the boards for a few days so only just catching up. It is only natural to feel worried I know and I really hope your RE will be able to put your mind at rest tomorrow. The brown blood and measuring a little behind at this stage is very common so I would not worry about this.
However, I think it is so very off that the report does not reflect the information they gave you verbally and I can totally understand your worry. Of course I am hoping it all turns out to be ok in this too.
Thinking of you and hoping for the best Lady Magoo.

Aoife

Bharani
Bharani

July 4th, 2011, 10:37 pm #6

I know you will be troubled and frightened, but try to remember that they know nothing about this. It's July. New residents are arriving to start their training at the hospital. Old ER docs don't know anything about pregnancy (especially early pregnancy) other than the very worst. They certainly know nothing about a pregnancy at this stage --

Try to be easy on yourself and know that only your RE can read an US, and even then, they often have to wait to see what your little bean does.

Sending you huge hugs. I wish you could have a glass of wine, but you have your little bean to take care of. Just remember, an ER has no idea how to interpret data on a pregnancy of a few weeks time.
They aren't re and I think they might not know well like the fertility doctors. And one doctor and one reading is not sufficient to think it is the end. I wish you good luck and my prayers are with you.
xoxo
Bharani

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

July 4th, 2011, 10:39 pm #7

He noticed that the report was written by the radiologist, whereas the initial report was provided by the ER doctor, based on the sono tech's findings. Well, truth be told, the sono tech told us what she saw directly, even though she wasn't supposed to. She was an IVF sono tech for a while, and she was pretty confident that everything looked as it should for a 5 week old pregnancy (even though I was about 5.5 weeks along).

The repoert, on the other hand, was written by a radiologist, based exclusively on the less than optimal images generated by a not terribly sensitive machine. DH also pointed out that not only did the radiologist not conduct the exam herself, but unless the films are perfect, they are bound to find an abnormality. They are in the business of detecting potential problems. And as all of you have said - they are not trained to interpret early PG films.

I'm still a nervous wreck. As is DH. But we're trying to hang on to hope. I've been reading your messages to DH as well - and we both thank you.

If you ladies are any indication of the kindness that can exist in this world that we are bringing our children into, then there's hope for us yet.

Bharani
Bharani

July 4th, 2011, 11:16 pm #8

5 weeks and 5.5 weeks is the same. i wouldn't panic. Think about the sono lady told you "perfect 5 weeks.." that is good.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 4th, 2011, 11:59 pm #9

He noticed that the report was written by the radiologist, whereas the initial report was provided by the ER doctor, based on the sono tech's findings. Well, truth be told, the sono tech told us what she saw directly, even though she wasn't supposed to. She was an IVF sono tech for a while, and she was pretty confident that everything looked as it should for a 5 week old pregnancy (even though I was about 5.5 weeks along).

The repoert, on the other hand, was written by a radiologist, based exclusively on the less than optimal images generated by a not terribly sensitive machine. DH also pointed out that not only did the radiologist not conduct the exam herself, but unless the films are perfect, they are bound to find an abnormality. They are in the business of detecting potential problems. And as all of you have said - they are not trained to interpret early PG films.

I'm still a nervous wreck. As is DH. But we're trying to hang on to hope. I've been reading your messages to DH as well - and we both thank you.

If you ladies are any indication of the kindness that can exist in this world that we are bringing our children into, then there's hope for us yet.
What the others have said it true...so many of my patients come in on Mondays hysterical after a weekend ER visit where they were told they wer miscarrying or had an "abnml" pregnancy when they were just early and having implantation bleeding. Try not to think about the report and remember what the sonographer told yu- that is who you can trust...hang in there!

July 5th, 2011, 12:07 am #10

Thank you.