Transfer One or Two Embies When Using Frozen Eggs?

Transfer One or Two Embies When Using Frozen Eggs?

HappyBean
HappyBean

August 14th, 2012, 9:44 pm #1

Ladies, I rely on your wise counsel. I plan to use frozen (aka vitrified) eggs from RBA's Egg Bank in Atlanta, with DH's fresh sperm for an upcoming cycle. All good.

Question dogging me is whether or not to transfer one or two? I appear to be pretty standard-issue in the overall health department--uterus/cervix look healthy and I have no known immune issues.

How'd you all box with this question, during your cycle, be it frozen or fresh eggs? Not sure the frozen factor affects things, really, in the final analysis.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 14th, 2012, 9:54 pm #2

TWO!!

August 14th, 2012, 10:20 pm #3

Ladies, I rely on your wise counsel. I plan to use frozen (aka vitrified) eggs from RBA's Egg Bank in Atlanta, with DH's fresh sperm for an upcoming cycle. All good.

Question dogging me is whether or not to transfer one or two? I appear to be pretty standard-issue in the overall health department--uterus/cervix look healthy and I have no known immune issues.

How'd you all box with this question, during your cycle, be it frozen or fresh eggs? Not sure the frozen factor affects things, really, in the final analysis.

Thanks!

This topic has been discussed a lot. You'll find many opinions on the topic if you search. I personally xfered 2, but my situation is unique. I'm using a proven surrogate and have had multiple failures and cycles. I'm not trying for twins, but I wanted to increase my odds for one because of the expense and complications that come with a surrogate. My surrogate is young, proven, and has an excellent chance of having a very healthy twin pregnancy. If I was able to carry my own baby, I would transfer only one.

Many clinics are advocating only one and are openly discussing the risks associated with even a twin pregnancy. Of course there have been many healthy full-term twin births, even here on this board, but it is a high risk pregnancy. Also, if one's infertility is due to her uterine environment, rather than embryo quality, then it's possible that no embryos will develop, no matter how many are transferred.

If you are looking for advice, I would suggest that you do lots of research and understand all the risks involved. Then make your decision.

Here's a good article from Shady Grove Fertility.

http://www.shadygrovefertility.com/podc ... treatments

Editing to add this one as well:

http://www.shadygrovefertility.com/site ... sponse.pdf
Last edited by RaineyCat on August 14th, 2012, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBean
HappyBean

August 14th, 2012, 10:36 pm #4

I appreciate the leads. For ethical, religious (husband's, not mine) and omg, please not twins reasons, I'm leaning toward one. But since I've never done a DE cycle or been pregnant otherwise, and funds are limited, part of me toys with transferring two.

(Then again, if you transfer two to "save money" and end up with twins, you aren't really saving any money at all in the long run. Quite the opposite.).

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 14th, 2012, 10:44 pm #5

Thanks!

Hi,

I just did a frozen egg cycle at RBA last month. They STRONGLY encourgaed the transfer of one embryo in most cases. I think the only time they don't is when the embryos don't look so good or you have a day 3 transfer. Not only did I get the speech about transferring only one when I went in for my mock the embryologist was VERY insistent that I put in one. I stood my ground however and put back two . Bottom line, RBA's success rates are high enough-60% putting one embryo back that they feel that by transferring two you only up your chances to about 70% but increase your chances of having twins to 35-40%. I think you have to ask yourself if you are willing and physically able to carry twins. To be honest, I've read some scary stories about having twins. Just realize what you may be getting yourself into if you put back two. Good luck.

August 14th, 2012, 11:05 pm #6

Thanks!

I used frozen eggs from RBA. First cycle I transferred two. It was a chemical/BO cycle. Next I transferred my one remaining embryo as an FET. That SET was a success but my lousy uterus gave out at 18w and I lost my perfect baby. After that I became a big fan of the eSET. So my next cycle with a GC I was adamant on doing an eSET and I know Dr Toledo was thrilled with that decision. I am bf'ing my ds as we speak. Even though my GC was young and healthy, after what happened to me, I wasn't comfortable putting her at additional risk. But this was based on my personal experience because of my lousy uterus that I don't even have anymore. what happened to me was rare but it affected me.

Oh, and I have 4 frozen excellent embies.

HappyBean
HappyBean

August 14th, 2012, 11:23 pm #7

Hi,

I just did a frozen egg cycle at RBA last month. They STRONGLY encourgaed the transfer of one embryo in most cases. I think the only time they don't is when the embryos don't look so good or you have a day 3 transfer. Not only did I get the speech about transferring only one when I went in for my mock the embryologist was VERY insistent that I put in one. I stood my ground however and put back two . Bottom line, RBA's success rates are high enough-60% putting one embryo back that they feel that by transferring two you only up your chances to about 70% but increase your chances of having twins to 35-40%. I think you have to ask yourself if you are willing and physically able to carry twins. To be honest, I've read some scary stories about having twins. Just realize what you may be getting yourself into if you put back two. Good luck.
I'd rather have to pay for and endure two frozen SET cycles than face a twin pg and raising two kids when I can--at our age and station--really only swing a singleton.

There's just so much research saying that if it all didn't cost so ******* much, most couples would really rather only do SETs during any kind of IVF. But we all want to get pg as economically as possible, so, in go the eggs. To whatever end.

Good luck to you, too!

HappyBean
HappyBean

August 14th, 2012, 11:27 pm #8

I used frozen eggs from RBA. First cycle I transferred two. It was a chemical/BO cycle. Next I transferred my one remaining embryo as an FET. That SET was a success but my lousy uterus gave out at 18w and I lost my perfect baby. After that I became a big fan of the eSET. So my next cycle with a GC I was adamant on doing an eSET and I know Dr Toledo was thrilled with that decision. I am bf'ing my ds as we speak. Even though my GC was young and healthy, after what happened to me, I wasn't comfortable putting her at additional risk. But this was based on my personal experience because of my lousy uterus that I don't even have anymore. what happened to me was rare but it affected me.

Oh, and I have 4 frozen excellent embies.
M--I was lurking when you had your loss. I'm so very sorry for you and your angel-son. I'm thrilled that you now have a babe in arms. Thank you for the vote of confidence in RBA. We'd be coming in from out of town to do the thaw/fert/transfer, so it's helpful to hear feedback from other clients.

Thanks again!

August 14th, 2012, 11:49 pm #9

Let me know when you are coming to Atlanta. If you are comfortable meeting and giving up anonymity, I'd love to meet you. I love meeting my cyber sisters.

Who is your RE?

HappyBean
HappyBean

August 14th, 2012, 11:51 pm #10

Oh jeez, I haven't even booked our phone consult yet. Do you have an RE there whom you love? They have so many, I'd be happy to narrow the field.

If dates line up (we are going to aim for later this early/early 2013), I'd be happy to meet! I don't yet know what out of town cycling means, but I imagine there has to be at least a little free time built in there.