Took my first 1 mile walk tonight

Took my first 1 mile walk tonight

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

March 20th, 2012, 3:43 am #1

I have not exercised in ages. I am a physical therapist so I know how to exercise and lose wt but have not done much w/ all of this IF stuff in the last couple of yrs. I have always been trim and fit but a little curvy and now I am a cow. I am about 40 lbs overweight. I packed on about 15-20 over the last yr. I want to blame it on all the fertility drugs and the fact that I have been pg 3 times in 2 yrs (all m/c) so my hormones are up/down so much. However, I have developed horrible eating habits and I like my wine (of course never during a cycle or pg).

So I am starting a walking program and eventually light weights. I will cut out all wine and cheeses and I will work towards cutting out my diet sodas and replacing it w/ green tea. I love fruits and vegs but will add more to my diet.

My birthday is in May and I would like to be down by 15-20 lbs and then hit my goal by July for the entire 40 lbs.

Any tips from others are welcomed.

FB

March 20th, 2012, 5:04 am #2

Before all of the ttc, some 6 yrs ago, I was in incredible shape. I ran marathons and did 1/2 ironman triathlons. You would never know it if you saw me now. I do not even recognize myself when I look in the mirror. I have put on 60+lbs and over 20 of them after the last loss. It didn't help that right before ttc I hurt my knees so that I can't run anymore. That was my favorite stress reliever. Now, chocolate is. And I wonder how I gained all that weight! :/ I certainly can't blame all of mine on the hormones. More like the depression and stress that ttc brought on, I just really needed all that chocolate to numb myself to the pain of it all. My eating habits got worse, but my exercise habit suffered the most. I finally have just started to take care of myself and just yesterday I went for a walk in my neighborhood. Not the same as a 20mile run, but it was at least nice to get outside and get some fresh air. I am also trying hard to eat better as well.

You are an inspiration and I am here to cheer you on. Hopefully, I will follow your lead!

March 20th, 2012, 6:51 am #3

I have not exercised in ages. I am a physical therapist so I know how to exercise and lose wt but have not done much w/ all of this IF stuff in the last couple of yrs. I have always been trim and fit but a little curvy and now I am a cow. I am about 40 lbs overweight. I packed on about 15-20 over the last yr. I want to blame it on all the fertility drugs and the fact that I have been pg 3 times in 2 yrs (all m/c) so my hormones are up/down so much. However, I have developed horrible eating habits and I like my wine (of course never during a cycle or pg).

So I am starting a walking program and eventually light weights. I will cut out all wine and cheeses and I will work towards cutting out my diet sodas and replacing it w/ green tea. I love fruits and vegs but will add more to my diet.

My birthday is in May and I would like to be down by 15-20 lbs and then hit my goal by July for the entire 40 lbs.

FB
Hi,
Good to hear you are walking. I love walking but is far too hot here a lot of the time.
I too gained with IVf treatments (around 2kgs with each and I did it 8 times).
I was eating well but drank a little. I maintained my weight for a year.

Here is the ultimate definitely will work tip.....
Join Weight Watchers. I did and its coming off. I"ve only had to slightly alter things and be vigilent in counting points. I"ve lost 3kgs so far and I"ve got hypothyroidism AND PCOS and I"m losing.
Its also good to have the support and it something I do just for me.
WWatchers has a new program that is very flexible.
Walking is great. Also try swimming (only do freestyle and swim for at least 25mins).
Keep it up Go out even when you don't feel like
best, THK

LizLA
LizLA

March 20th, 2012, 4:42 pm #4

FB
I have no will power to do it myself:(

My goal 25lbs by May 20th-my DD graduating from law school.

CrazyLady
CrazyLady

March 20th, 2012, 6:16 pm #5

Hi,
Good to hear you are walking. I love walking but is far too hot here a lot of the time.

Join Weight Watchers. I did and its coming off. I"ve only had to slightly alter things and be vigilent in counting points. I"ve lost 3kgs so far and I"ve got hypothyroidism AND PCOS and I"m losing.
Walking is great. Also try swimming (only do freestyle and swim for at least 25mins).
best, THK
it works for me!

CrazyLady
CrazyLady

March 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm #6

FB
I, too, gained 30-40 pounds over the course of my late husband's illness and a couple of failed DE cycles... I'm about halfway down (22 pounds) using a lots of exercise (strength training and cardio) and Weight Watchers.

You can do it! Be kind and patient with yourself. Remember that a healthy rate of loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week.

March 20th, 2012, 10:58 pm #7

FB
The hardest part about weight loss and keeping up with exercise is motivation and sticking with it. Good on you for combining the two as it is the best way to keep it off too. My recommendation is always to make yourself accountable to someone, even if it's just posting your progress each week here.

Pictures on the fridge of you when you feel you were at your best always helps too and of course eradicating all the tempting treats from your pantry and replacing it with lighter snacks that are still just as easy to grab in the evenings.

Keep your water intake up and eat breakfast! A lot of people drop this as a way to drop calories from your day, but this kick starts your metabolism for the day and will help stop snacking.

I've just started back at the gym and I love it. I was never overweight, but I did get into some bad habits and self medicating with sugar and chocolate due to all the IF.

Know your limits and don't push too hard that you end up taking too long a break between exercise. High reps with low weights are best for weight loss if you are using a gym, but you can always walk with hand weights or cans of food to up the anti along with walking up and down hill or chuck some rocks in a backpack!

Allow yourself small pleasures and rewards or you'll end up binging one night and feeling guilty for it in the morning. My favourite was pebbles (4 calories a piece) or popcorn which is very light on the calories too.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

March 21st, 2012, 3:01 am #8

Before all of the ttc, some 6 yrs ago, I was in incredible shape. I ran marathons and did 1/2 ironman triathlons. You would never know it if you saw me now. I do not even recognize myself when I look in the mirror. I have put on 60+lbs and over 20 of them after the last loss. It didn't help that right before ttc I hurt my knees so that I can't run anymore. That was my favorite stress reliever. Now, chocolate is. And I wonder how I gained all that weight! :/ I certainly can't blame all of mine on the hormones. More like the depression and stress that ttc brought on, I just really needed all that chocolate to numb myself to the pain of it all. My eating habits got worse, but my exercise habit suffered the most. I finally have just started to take care of myself and just yesterday I went for a walk in my neighborhood. Not the same as a 20mile run, but it was at least nice to get outside and get some fresh air. I am also trying hard to eat better as well.

You are an inspiration and I am here to cheer you on. Hopefully, I will follow your lead!
You can start walking now and then when your DS arrives it will give you more of an excuse to take walks w/ DS in his stroller. People who don't know you will just assume you are losing your baby weight. It is amazing how much better I felt today even w/ some bad news (see above post) that I got today from a little exercise.

I will walk again tomorrow night as I am going everyother day for 1-2 wk before I ramp up to daily walks.

And Margolis, you are the inspiration for perserverance and picking yourself up from a horrible situation. If I could be so brave......

I can not wait for you baby to arrive!!!!

FB

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

March 21st, 2012, 3:05 am #9

Hi,

best, THK
I may join WW in the future but I am trying to conserve money right now. I do like the support system that WW provides. Sigh.

My neighborhood does not cost me a dime to walk up and down it and it is hilly for interval training.

FB

FB
FB

March 21st, 2012, 3:08 am #10

I have no will power to do it myself:(

My goal 25lbs by May 20th-my DD graduating from law school.
A private trainer is awesome for ideas and accountability. I think you can definitely shape up and lose wt before DD's graduation.

You will love the pictures more if you are proud of yourself. I think this is part of my motivation as I don't like myself in pictures anymore.

FB