To transfer 1 or 2 is the topic of the month on this board and the pink one.

To transfer 1 or 2 is the topic of the month on this board and the pink one.

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

June 5th, 2012, 12:11 am #1

I have gone back and forth multiple times and right now I am thinking of eSET. Now this may change in the 6 wks until my transfer. I really don't think I can handle twins and after last time, I don't want to lose them both. I think I am really a single baby momma. Oh lord, I will change my mind 10 times before I actually go thru w/ the transfer.

Thanks for reading and comments are welcomed.

FB

June 5th, 2012, 1:52 am #2

gone through, as I've lurked for a while and only recently jumped in. I'm so sorry for your losses

I'm cycling right now, and this question comes up a bit for me too. One thing that plays into our decision is the fact that we have a child already. I'm sure if we didn't, our views on what works for us would be different.

I'm a researcher, and I've seen NICU data. I know I'm not saying anything that folks here don't know when I say that NICUs are full of multiples. I also know a lot of twins - from younger kids to teenagers. I see an awful lot of mild issues even in healthy twins. Are these a result of the kids' twin status? I have no idea. It does give me pause, though.

We've decided that transferring one is right for us. The risks (however small) just aren't worth it for us. However, this is my first DE cycle. If we don't succeed, I can't swear that I wouldn't transfer 2 next time. It's a tough decision. And twins are ridiculously cute! I can be impulsive, so right now I just have to make a cold decision and not deviate

Are you leaning towards transferring two?

June 5th, 2012, 2:32 am #3

but from what I have read, it seems the prematurity plays into the lost IQ points (on average) more than the fact of being twins. Also, too many twin pregnancies have ended tragically on the pink board. AngMc and I have 25 weekers but we are very much the lucky ones.

Like I said recently, take a good hard look at the avg number of embryos transferred per FET at your clinic, the success rates, and the twin rate. There is a fair bit to be extrapolated from those numbers in relation to one another.

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

June 5th, 2012, 2:42 am #4

on the sart board. I don't understand the numbers like you do. The clinic is in Houston and it is called Houston Fertility Institute.

In 2009, they had 57% success rate w/ DE FET but in 2008 and 2010 their success rate was 43%. I don't understand all the other numbers that have been mentioned in past posts.

Let me know what you think if you have the time.

Thanks,

FB

June 5th, 2012, 4:18 pm #5

I have gone back and forth multiple times and right now I am thinking of eSET. Now this may change in the 6 wks until my transfer. I really don't think I can handle twins and after last time, I don't want to lose them both. I think I am really a single baby momma. Oh lord, I will change my mind 10 times before I actually go thru w/ the transfer.

FB
I can definitely relate to your struggle. It is such a tough decision! We decided to do an eSET and were happily successful on the first try. But we were fully prepared to do more transfers if need be rather than transfer multiple embryos because we really didn't want to have twins. In retrospect, I'm so glad. I know many of the moms here have twins and are doing great, but I know that I would not have handled being a mom of two very well. I often feel overwhelmed with just one! So my advice would be to really, really think hard about what the reality of your life will be like if you have twins. If you don't think it sounds right for you, then I would recommend only transfering one at a time. Whatever you decide, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for your success!!

June 5th, 2012, 7:35 pm #6

on the sart board. I don't understand the numbers like you do. The clinic is in Houston and it is called Houston Fertility Institute.

In 2009, they had 57% success rate w/ DE FET but in 2008 and 2010 their success rate was 43%. I don't understand all the other numbers that have been mentioned in past posts.

Let me know what you think if you have the time.

Thanks,

FB
the frozen cycles had multiples stats too - I think my clinic must have provided me with all the numbers I wanted. Maybe yours can too?

June 6th, 2012, 9:41 pm #7

I can definitely relate to your struggle. It is such a tough decision! We decided to do an eSET and were happily successful on the first try. But we were fully prepared to do more transfers if need be rather than transfer multiple embryos because we really didn't want to have twins. In retrospect, I'm so glad. I know many of the moms here have twins and are doing great, but I know that I would not have handled being a mom of two very well. I often feel overwhelmed with just one! So my advice would be to really, really think hard about what the reality of your life will be like if you have twins. If you don't think it sounds right for you, then I would recommend only transfering one at a time. Whatever you decide, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for your success!!
I cycled at Cooper only does 3 day transfers. I had never had any success with 3 days so we went for broke and put in 3. We are now 10 weeks along with one baby.

Hope2009
Hope2009

June 6th, 2012, 10:20 pm #8

FB
and also to what the embryologist says about the embryo quality. We were totally okay with twins...even though we had 5 kids at home already (all singletons) so on our fresh cycle we transferred two perfect blasts. My lining was excellent, my previous history of carrying children was proven and our two blasts were top quality...one was hatching, one was about to hatch. I'm so glad that we transferred two though b/c I have no regrets.

That first cycle ended in a chem m/c despite it being perfect in all ways. I know had I transferred only one (for me) that I would have always doubted myself. Now keep in mind that we have to travel to our clinic and it's quite an ordeal so I also wanted to give ourselves the best chance with that cycle.

When we moved forward with our FET...I went back and forth over how many we wanted to transfer. Our clinic likes to know ahead of time what we are thinking so they know how many to thaw. We finally decided again that we would transfer two. The morning of our transfer though we got a call from our clinic that said that one of the two was not blossoming like they would like and so they suggested that we thaw out another. We ended transferring three...two very good quality 5 day blasts and one not so great quality...more of a hail mary type. We got pg with our singleton son on that cycle.

So when we went forward with our 2nd FET for number two DE baby again we agonized over what to do...well actually I was trusting my gut by that time as I believed that things just work out...and again we told them we wanted to transfer three b/c of our last experience...I didn't want to go all that way and not get pg at all...so they thawed out all three...all made the thaw and our embryologist said they looked as good as the day she froze them two years before...the grade for all three was excellent. From that cycle our twins were conceived. I was thrilled as I always wanted twins...thankfully I had a great pgcy and gave birth to 36 weekers and they are not doing great...but I think ALL the time of the babies who didn't make it to earth and you are so right there is a risk...and then there is a risk of them making it and it is a challenge to raise two babies at once....you really have to be good at balancing everything as some days...even for an old experience mom like me it's crazy around here...nutsville is what my DH says when he gets home and they are all clamouring to get in his lap...but it's a good crazy too.

So each of us has to find our own path to walk...but in the end FB...just trust that the UNIVERSE will guide you and if you listen to your heart you will know what is right for you and your family. I wish you joy as you move forward..it is an exciting time contemplating our soulbabies coming.

Blessings from Hope

FB
FB

June 7th, 2012, 3:00 am #9

I am more at peace today and I want to get my NK cells testing out of the way and make sure I am doing everything to help my frosties make it to life.

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

FB

FB
FB

June 7th, 2012, 3:02 am #10

FB
It really helps to read all of ya'lls posts and experiences. It is a good problem to have and I am so grateful that we have 2 frosties left. I hope they both survive the thawing process. We shall see next month.

FB