Thoughts on Alcohol Use during DE cycle

Thoughts on Alcohol Use during DE cycle

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 4th, 2012, 4:12 pm #1

Hi,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on whether it is okay to have alcohol the cycle of your DE transfer or even the cycle before. I know that alcohol use at this point will not affect a fetus. My concern is the concern I had when TTC with my own eggs. I read a few studies that advised against it. I'm not sure if that was because egg quality is affected by alcohol use, the lining, uterus or all of the above. Since eggs are out of the equation here, is there a reason to limit or remove alcohol while doing a DE cycle? I can do so pretty easily, but since I will be OOT for my cycle, it will be a mini-vacay for us and I would definitely have a cocktail or two if allowed. Thanks.

June 4th, 2012, 4:16 pm #2

Many other women didn't and had success. It's a big subject on the support board for the Czech clinic where I cycled, b/c the Czechs are so famous for their fabulous beer. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Julie
Julie

June 4th, 2012, 4:30 pm #3

Hi,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on whether it is okay to have alcohol the cycle of your DE transfer or even the cycle before. I know that alcohol use at this point will not affect a fetus. My concern is the concern I had when TTC with my own eggs. I read a few studies that advised against it. I'm not sure if that was because egg quality is affected by alcohol use, the lining, uterus or all of the above. Since eggs are out of the equation here, is there a reason to limit or remove alcohol while doing a DE cycle? I can do so pretty easily, but since I will be OOT for my cycle, it will be a mini-vacay for us and I would definitely have a cocktail or two if allowed. Thanks.
We traveled for my first few DE cycles and on one of them we went to Savannah for the weekend -- retrieval was on Sat and tx was on Tues. I had drinks on Saturday but nothing after that. I got pregnant but had a mc due to trisomy at 9 weeks. Alcohol played no part. With my successful cycle, I did abstain for most of the cycle but 2 nights before tx we had some of DH's work colleagues over. We did not tell anybody we were cycling and I just could not bear the questions or even knowing looks (people knew we had cycled before though not with DE) so I had a glass of prosecco before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. I would say a glass or 2 of wine is fine. After all, some clinics give valium with transfer! HTH

Dee
Dee

June 4th, 2012, 5:43 pm #4

Many other women didn't and had success. It's a big subject on the support board for the Czech clinic where I cycled, b/c the Czechs are so famous for their fabulous beer. Take care, Maggie (in VA)
yes, it is hard to abstain when you are in Czech Republic. They have really good wine there, as well as beer.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 4th, 2012, 8:02 pm #5

To be honest...I don't know how anyone abstains in CZ!! That must be really hard. Thanks for your help.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 4th, 2012, 8:04 pm #6

We traveled for my first few DE cycles and on one of them we went to Savannah for the weekend -- retrieval was on Sat and tx was on Tues. I had drinks on Saturday but nothing after that. I got pregnant but had a mc due to trisomy at 9 weeks. Alcohol played no part. With my successful cycle, I did abstain for most of the cycle but 2 nights before tx we had some of DH's work colleagues over. We did not tell anybody we were cycling and I just could not bear the questions or even knowing looks (people knew we had cycled before though not with DE) so I had a glass of prosecco before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. I would say a glass or 2 of wine is fine. After all, some clinics give valium with transfer! HTH
I have taken valium with each transfer. It's so hard to knwo what to do. We invest so much time, money and energy in this process that I don't want to do anything to hinder the process. Congrats BTW!!

June 5th, 2012, 5:02 am #7

Hi,

Hi,
I had alcohol until about four days until transfer of a successful DEIVF procedure. But looking back on it I didn't 'need' the drink as I was already on so many drugs and had very good support.
best, THK

thesameboat
thesameboat

June 5th, 2012, 5:11 am #8

Hi,

For the first, I was on a business trip (leading a seminar, something very new and exciting for me) that ended the day before I left for the Czech Republic. I slept so little that week I wouldn't have been able to handle alcohol most of the time, but on the last evening, I drank the most fantastic dry red wine with my colleague to celebrate. Left for Zlin 36 hours later.

This time I abstained. I don't know for how long, but I know I didn't drink for a while before transfer.

But If I had known about that bottle of Bailey's DH had bought that I didn't see until it was too late things might have been different...

June 5th, 2012, 2:49 pm #9

To be honest...I don't know how anyone abstains in CZ!! That must be really hard. Thanks for your help.
I was staying at the spa in Luhacovice my second trip. There were lots of Russian tourists there getting doctored up, and the last thing they needed was more alcohol. Sure, there were plenty of pubs, but I wanted a baby more than a drink. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 5th, 2012, 6:35 pm #10

For the first, I was on a business trip (leading a seminar, something very new and exciting for me) that ended the day before I left for the Czech Republic. I slept so little that week I wouldn't have been able to handle alcohol most of the time, but on the last evening, I drank the most fantastic dry red wine with my colleague to celebrate. Left for Zlin 36 hours later.

This time I abstained. I don't know for how long, but I know I didn't drink for a while before transfer.

But If I had known about that bottle of Bailey's DH had bought that I didn't see until it was too late things might have been different...
I hear you...thank goodness your DH kept that Bailey's under lock and key