The purple crayon....

The purple crayon....

July 25th, 2012, 7:27 pm #1

Just had to share my LO's latest cuteness and wonder if anyone else has similar experience.

DS has been scribbling with crayons (washable of course!), on a big pad of paper quite a bit. Initially he used all the different colors, but over the months he used the purple crayon more and more when I'd give him a choice. Last week he accidently broke the purple crayon in half. He cried and cried like someone had died. He sat there trying to stick it back together just crying his eyes out. My DS has NEVER cried for more than a few seconds over losing ANY toy or object. I tried to give him another crayon, no go, then tried to tape it together - he pulled the tape off and cried more -- tried everything. He finally cried himself to sleep. After a week I pulled out the pad and box of crayons for the first time and put all the remaining crayons (no purple) out for him to pick. He looked at each one carefully then grabbed the box. Sure enough the broken purple crayon was in the bottom of the box and he began crying again! He wouldn't touch another crayon.

Then he got up and began trying to reach up to a shelf for something, looking at me, pointing and crying. I hadn't realized it but several days earlier my DH had bought a new box of crayons and put them up there, above even where I could see them, unopened for later use. I guess DS saw him do that and wanted THAT box. I got it down, opened it up and after looking at ALL the crayons he happily grabbed the purple one and spent the next two hours before bed drawing with it and, otherwise, just holding it like a prized possession -- keeping it carefully away from anyone's grasp. Finally had to let it drop out of his hand when he went to sleep!

For months before this he had a little purple, plastic turtle that he took with him EVERYWHERE, including to bed, until he suddenly got bored of it one day and hasn't touched it again.

Safe to say purple is his favorite color? Wish I could buy a whole box of purple crayons -- I think we're going to need them!

I just adore every second with this little guy! Always something new & cute!

sas

July 25th, 2012, 7:37 pm #2

And I actually think it IS possible to buy a whole box of single-color crayons, but maybe not the washable kind.

Your DS sounds like a sweetie-pie who knows how to love with his entire heart's capacity.

July 26th, 2012, 2:01 am #3

Just had to share my LO's latest cuteness and wonder if anyone else has similar experience.

DS has been scribbling with crayons (washable of course!), on a big pad of paper quite a bit. Initially he used all the different colors, but over the months he used the purple crayon more and more when I'd give him a choice. Last week he accidently broke the purple crayon in half. He cried and cried like someone had died. He sat there trying to stick it back together just crying his eyes out. My DS has NEVER cried for more than a few seconds over losing ANY toy or object. I tried to give him another crayon, no go, then tried to tape it together - he pulled the tape off and cried more -- tried everything. He finally cried himself to sleep. After a week I pulled out the pad and box of crayons for the first time and put all the remaining crayons (no purple) out for him to pick. He looked at each one carefully then grabbed the box. Sure enough the broken purple crayon was in the bottom of the box and he began crying again! He wouldn't touch another crayon.

Then he got up and began trying to reach up to a shelf for something, looking at me, pointing and crying. I hadn't realized it but several days earlier my DH had bought a new box of crayons and put them up there, above even where I could see them, unopened for later use. I guess DS saw him do that and wanted THAT box. I got it down, opened it up and after looking at ALL the crayons he happily grabbed the purple one and spent the next two hours before bed drawing with it and, otherwise, just holding it like a prized possession -- keeping it carefully away from anyone's grasp. Finally had to let it drop out of his hand when he went to sleep!

For months before this he had a little purple, plastic turtle that he took with him EVERYWHERE, including to bed, until he suddenly got bored of it one day and hasn't touched it again.

Safe to say purple is his favorite color? Wish I could buy a whole box of purple crayons -- I think we're going to need them!

sas
You will have to hold on to that one for his future fiancé.

July 26th, 2012, 3:00 am #4

sas
And I am so glad that it has a happy ending and that he went to bed with a happy heart!

Give him kisses for us. He sounds so incredibly sweet!

July 26th, 2012, 3:51 am #5

sas
So sweet. Thanks for sharing.

July 26th, 2012, 5:03 am #6

sas
That's an adorable story! Bless his heart.

Now tell me, where do I find washable crayons? I didn't know there was such a thing, and my DD is a coloring maniac these days...

Maya

July 26th, 2012, 11:07 am #7

sas
I love this story. I have been trying to get DS to color and all he wants to do is put the crayons in the box and take them back out, repeat, repeat, repeat. He broke the blue crayon and had no reaction. I always loved coloring. Maybe you have an artist in the making.

It kind of like having the same stuffed animal to spare in case something happens to the original. May want to get more purple crayons.

July 26th, 2012, 2:17 pm #8

sas
What a sweet story!

July 26th, 2012, 2:18 pm #9

That's an adorable story! Bless his heart.

Now tell me, where do I find washable crayons? I didn't know there was such a thing, and my DD is a coloring maniac these days...

Maya

Crayola makes them -- they have them @ our grocery store and at Target. Unfortunately no boxes that have only purple in them!

sas

July 26th, 2012, 2:26 pm #10

sas
There's a book called Harold and the Purple Crayon that was one of my favorites as a child. It's still in print.