The brown eyes, blue eyes question again (jogged by Mrs. A's post)

The brown eyes, blue eyes question again (jogged by Mrs. A's post)

March 18th, 2012, 2:49 pm #1

As I understand it, two brown eyed parents have a 25% chance of having a blue eyed child if both of them carry a blue allele (half of a gene, which each parent contributes). But we were quite surprised when HG appeared with bright blue eyes and blonde hair. Not only do DH and the donor both have brown eyes/brown hair, but NO ONE in DH's family has anything other than brown eyes and brown hair, and from what I can see of the donor's profile and the pics of her family that were shown, there are no blue eyes or blonde hair there either. This is kind of perplexing.

Is there some latest scientific info on how eye color is inherited that debunks Mendelian genetics? Otherwise yes, we are very curious where these blue eyes come from.

I have green eyes (blonde hair as a child) which many people seem to think are blue. Even my sister insists I have blue eyes which is absurd because they are clearly green but maybe some people think they are blue-green. Whatever. Anyway I have had a few people comment about how BA, who is brown/brown looks like DH and how HG has my coloring (which is true as he is fair skinned as well). But the other day in a group of women friends who don't know about DE, they were exclaiming how BA looks like DH but HG . . . and then they trailed off and one person said "I don't know . . ." as in "I don't know who he looks like but certainly not you!"

Does this sort of thing continue on throughout childhood? I'm kinda sick of it already and we are only at 20 months!

Last edited by biogal on March 18th, 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2012, 3:06 pm #2

Since HG is only 20 months old his hair could turn to brown or even dark brown as he gets older. So maybe someone in DH's family or the donor's family had blonde hair as children and it later turned brown and you are only looking at the pictures of when they are older. My DH had light colored hair as a child but has almost black colored hair now.

As far as the blue eyes go, well there were some recessive genes hiding on both DH and the donor's side. HG just happened to fall into the smaller side of the statistics to get those blue eyes from two sets of brown eyed genetics.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing eventually as your kids are older people will stop commenting on who they look like. I think that is mostly an infant, toddler, little kid thing that moms chit chat about. Although since you have twins it kinda stands out more as people will compare the two boys. But I do think it will kinda go away as a big topic of discussion the older they get. And by then you will just be used to the comments.

March 18th, 2012, 4:26 pm #3

As I understand it, two brown eyed parents have a 25% chance of having a blue eyed child if both of them carry a blue allele (half of a gene, which each parent contributes). But we were quite surprised when HG appeared with bright blue eyes and blonde hair. Not only do DH and the donor both have brown eyes/brown hair, but NO ONE in DH's family has anything other than brown eyes and brown hair, and from what I can see of the donor's profile and the pics of her family that were shown, there are no blue eyes or blonde hair there either. This is kind of perplexing.

Is there some latest scientific info on how eye color is inherited that debunks Mendelian genetics? Otherwise yes, we are very curious where these blue eyes come from.

I have green eyes (blonde hair as a child) which many people seem to think are blue. Even my sister insists I have blue eyes which is absurd because they are clearly green but maybe some people think they are blue-green. Whatever. Anyway I have had a few people comment about how BA, who is brown/brown looks like DH and how HG has my coloring (which is true as he is fair skinned as well). But the other day in a group of women friends who don't know about DE, they were exclaiming how BA looks like DH but HG . . . and then they trailed off and one person said "I don't know . . ." as in "I don't know who he looks like but certainly not you!"

Does this sort of thing continue on throughout childhood? I'm kinda sick of it already and we are only at 20 months!

where his blues eyes come from say God. Then you could say so so great grandma/pa had blue eyes if you would like.

The other day, I was eating lunch w/ my family and a couple friend. The husband said how did you get twins who are so far apart (DD is 7 and DS is 4 as they look so much alike) and the first thing I blurted out without thinking was God. This answer stunned everyone including me at the table and we moved on to something else.

HTH,

FB

March 18th, 2012, 4:41 pm #4

OMG, I am most definitely going to use that! A lot of the people in my social circle are from my religious days so that would be sure to stop them cold. They couldn't argue with that answer!

March 18th, 2012, 4:42 pm #5

Since HG is only 20 months old his hair could turn to brown or even dark brown as he gets older. So maybe someone in DH's family or the donor's family had blonde hair as children and it later turned brown and you are only looking at the pictures of when they are older. My DH had light colored hair as a child but has almost black colored hair now.

As far as the blue eyes go, well there were some recessive genes hiding on both DH and the donor's side. HG just happened to fall into the smaller side of the statistics to get those blue eyes from two sets of brown eyed genetics.

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing eventually as your kids are older people will stop commenting on who they look like. I think that is mostly an infant, toddler, little kid thing that moms chit chat about. Although since you have twins it kinda stands out more as people will compare the two boys. But I do think it will kinda go away as a big topic of discussion the older they get. And by then you will just be used to the comments.

I just wish people would think before they speak but I know that will never happen. Maybe I need to increase my testosterone dose - I'm too sensitive these days!

March 18th, 2012, 4:43 pm #6

Hardly ANYONE has blue eyes in my family, maybe just my grandpa who is long gone.

Our donor had hazel eyes. My DD has brown/hazel eyes like me, yeah, cuz people think we look alike.

1st kids for us!
5th DE attempt

March 18th, 2012, 5:19 pm #7

our sperm donor had dark brown eyes and brown hair and everyone in his family for several generations (parents, gparents, sibs, etc), all have brown eyes and brown hair. ED2 has blue eyes (which we thought would be recessive)... but DD2 has green eyes - and all three kids seem to be blondes! DH and I have dark brown hair and medium brown eyes and we get questions ALL the time on where the kids got blonde hair/ green eyes. Oh well LOL. I wouldn't change a hair on their heads, they're just perfect.

Thanks so much for your note below - loved the idea of just going to the clinic LOL - he's so unobservant, he wouldn't even notice I was cycling. Really!! Unfortunately, I have no tubes, so a spontaneous conception would require some 'splainin, to quote Ricky. But, I would never REALLY do it anyway as that would be such a violation of our trust and marriage vows - definitely funny to fantasize about it though . Best,
Kenny

March 18th, 2012, 5:39 pm #8

I'm thinking there must be oodles of families where the eye/hair color doesn't seem to "match" the parents but I don't recall this being a topic of conversation in all my social observations over the years. It seems to be only us older parents who get grilled.

March 18th, 2012, 6:29 pm #9

where his blues eyes come from say God. Then you could say so so great grandma/pa had blue eyes if you would like.

The other day, I was eating lunch w/ my family and a couple friend. The husband said how did you get twins who are so far apart (DD is 7 and DS is 4 as they look so much alike) and the first thing I blurted out without thinking was God. This answer stunned everyone including me at the table and we moved on to something else.

HTH,

FB
Just say that's how the good Lord made him and leave it at that. It's pretty vague and nobody can really argue with it.

March 18th, 2012, 6:39 pm #10

our sperm donor had dark brown eyes and brown hair and everyone in his family for several generations (parents, gparents, sibs, etc), all have brown eyes and brown hair. ED2 has blue eyes (which we thought would be recessive)... but DD2 has green eyes - and all three kids seem to be blondes! DH and I have dark brown hair and medium brown eyes and we get questions ALL the time on where the kids got blonde hair/ green eyes. Oh well LOL. I wouldn't change a hair on their heads, they're just perfect.

Thanks so much for your note below - loved the idea of just going to the clinic LOL - he's so unobservant, he wouldn't even notice I was cycling. Really!! Unfortunately, I have no tubes, so a spontaneous conception would require some 'splainin, to quote Ricky. But, I would never REALLY do it anyway as that would be such a violation of our trust and marriage vows - definitely funny to fantasize about it though . Best,
Kenny

We did a lot of research on this, since we did not want all the questions if we had a brown-eyed child. Green is part of the brown gene.

Turns out we didn't need to worry as dh's mother has brown eyes and he apparently didn't know it. Men!!