success with one embryo?

success with one embryo?

Nona
Nona

November 12th, 2010, 11:59 pm #1

Has anyone done a one-embryo transfer, had success? Overall, what would you think about a one-embryo, rather than two-embryo transfer?

November 13th, 2010, 5:56 am #2

Since it worked I was very happy with the decision. We waited until the transfer day to decide to see what the quality of the embryos were. Also we had a twice proven donor so I felt pretty good about it all. Personally, I wanted to avoid twins.

November 13th, 2010, 12:26 pm #3

Has anyone done a one-embryo transfer, had success? Overall, what would you think about a one-embryo, rather than two-embryo transfer?
We transferred one perfect blast and it stuck. It does work but I also think it's fairly risky. I'd make sure you know what your clinic's stats are before you agree to just one. My clinic stats were actually higher with single transfers than with two. Good luck!

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 13th, 2010, 3:05 pm #4

Check your clinic's success rates.
For mine, the difference between 1 and 2 fresh embryos was neglijable.
Yet the risk of triplets, or even complications with twins, if transferring 2, sounded scary.

November 13th, 2010, 5:14 pm #5

Since it worked I was very happy with the decision. We waited until the transfer day to decide to see what the quality of the embryos were. Also we had a twice proven donor so I felt pretty good about it all. Personally, I wanted to avoid twins.
on the day of transfer, I asked the RE "based on the quality of the embryos what do you think the chances are of us having twins if the cycle is a success and we put in 2" he said 85%. Meaning, if one sticks, what are the chances of both sticking? I think often one embryo transfers have a higher success rate (same was also true at my clinic) because people only do them when the embies look really good.

Gigi
Gigi

November 13th, 2010, 6:47 pm #6

I agonized over the decision but in the end decided that we really couldn't handle twins. (We already have a three year old.) We transferred on Day 6 with a hatching blast and another very high quality blast in the running so chances of twins seemed even greater. (RE said 80%, if transfer was successful. Not sure how they come up with that stat.) If it was a day 3 transfer with so, so embryos I might have made a different decision or if I did not already have one child. I didn't decide until I was literally lying on the table and phoned my DH one last time. (He reeeally didn't want twins but left the final say up to me.) We ended transferring the hatching blast and are pregnant with a singleton due Dec. 26. Such a hard decision. Hope that helps.

November 13th, 2010, 7:25 pm #7

I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant from an SET (our first DE attempt). For a variety of reasons we really didn't want twins, so transfering only one seemed like the right decision. It helped that we had some very high quality blasts to choose from (and we've got 13 more on ice in case it didn't work). I think you need to really be honest with yourselves about how you'd feel if you ended up with twins, knowing that it is a very real possibility if you transfer two. I'm pretty sure that most of the women on these boards who have twins only transfered two! It is a hard decision. Good luck whatever you decide. I hope to see you back on here with success soon!

Anon
Anon

November 13th, 2010, 8:57 pm #8

I did a SET and got a BFP. GL with your cycle, whatever you decide.

Non
Non

November 14th, 2010, 12:32 am #9

We transferred one perfect blast and it stuck. It does work but I also think it's fairly risky. I'd make sure you know what your clinic's stats are before you agree to just one. My clinic stats were actually higher with single transfers than with two. Good luck!
Now I have to wonder, is it possible a single transfer actually works better than a double one?

November 14th, 2010, 2:48 am #10

We did an SET as we already had twins and as wonderful as they are, didn't want to do it again if possible . The first time we did an SET (single frozen AAA blast) we had a blighted ovum. Then we transferred two frozen (A-B quality) we had a chemical and were out of embies. When we did another fresh, we transferred only one again - but did PGS/CGH (genetic testing) and knew the embie was normal. That cycle worked and we're 21w.

I'm a big fan both of twins AND single embryo transfers . My twin pg was fraught with complications and I nearly lost them any number of times by 21w where I am now in this singleton pg. I was totally miserable, and they were born early and spent nearly a month in NICU. I wouldn't change a thing of course, as I can't imagine life without either of them, but this is a fundamentally different experience carrying a singleton and being able to have a LIFE while pg -and anticipated not only this baby's making it to viability, but maybe even something close to full-term. (KNOCK WOOD)

If you have an excellent quality embie - I would really lean toward an SET, if your clinic has good stats. GL! Best,
Kenny