Still in shock- u/s yesterday....Triplets (p/g ment)

Still in shock- u/s yesterday....Triplets (p/g ment)

Lu
Lu

March 15th, 2011, 5:18 pm #1

I can't believe this. I just can't believe this. We put back 2 embies! So obviously one split. So right now we have a set of identical twins and a singleton. My mind is all over the place! I'm of course happy that I'm pregnant, but dh and I really don't know what we are going to do. There are SO many risks involved with carrying twins, and now triplets! I did not imagine this scenario. I was hoping for a day filled only with excitement, but now I have alot more worry:( Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a downer and I am grateful that this worked, please don't get me wrong. It just worked a little to well. Ugh, I just have alot to think about....again. For now, I go back to my RE next week, b/c he said that with 3 it is quite common that one won't make it. Which would be horribly sad, but at the same time, would take a big decision out of my hands. I'm sorry for saying this, I hope I don't offend anyone as to what I am implying, I just have no idea what to do.
My best to all,
Lu

March 15th, 2011, 5:40 pm #2

Just a suggestion, but I'd try to find an online support group for mothers of triplets or high order multiples. It's not a happy thought, but your doctor is quite right that one may not make it (and that's often true for twins, too). I felt a great deal of apprehension when I found out I was having twins -- know that trips are a whole different ball game, but it did cast a shadow, so to speak, on the joy of the moment. Anyway, I guess only time will tell now, but we'll be here for you. {{Hugs}} Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on March 15th, 2011, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2011, 7:35 pm #3

I can't believe this. I just can't believe this. We put back 2 embies! So obviously one split. So right now we have a set of identical twins and a singleton. My mind is all over the place! I'm of course happy that I'm pregnant, but dh and I really don't know what we are going to do. There are SO many risks involved with carrying twins, and now triplets! I did not imagine this scenario. I was hoping for a day filled only with excitement, but now I have alot more worry:( Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a downer and I am grateful that this worked, please don't get me wrong. It just worked a little to well. Ugh, I just have alot to think about....again. For now, I go back to my RE next week, b/c he said that with 3 it is quite common that one won't make it. Which would be horribly sad, but at the same time, would take a big decision out of my hands. I'm sorry for saying this, I hope I don't offend anyone as to what I am implying, I just have no idea what to do.
My best to all,
Lu
I know it's a lot to try to absorb, but no matter what happens, just know that you are equipped to handle it. You have shown your warrior abilities through this entire crazy process. I know you have concerns about safety and the health of both you and all 3 of your little ones, but try to relax and take this step by step. I know that is easier said than done since I am not in your position, but I know that you want your children, no matter how many you ultimately have, to be healthy.

I don't want to make you feel like I don't understand your concerns, because I certainly do. I believe I would be feeling the same way if we ever received that news. Just know that you don't have to have any answers today and that you don't have to feel any particular way other than the way you are feeling. Give yourself time to get used to whatever your reality is at this time, and if it changes then deal with that new reality then (again, this coming from someone who tends to get ahead of herself :^). Always reach out to others who can support you and just listen to you vent and who can give you encouragement or even shed some light based on their experience (to reiterate one more time...that is certainly not me, but I just want you to know that I empathize and I hope that you will not be overwhelmed and I wish only the best with whatever the end result will be).

I agree that it would be great for you to get some support from mothers of multiples or who are currently carrying multiples. I don't believe that there are any mistakes, and I know that all will work out in a way that might be surprisingly wonderful.

Hang in there, enjoy the bounty of your success and know that prayers and good thoughts are heading your way.

thesameboat
thesameboat

March 15th, 2011, 7:36 pm #4

My best to all,
Lu
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I can certainly understand your concerns. Do listen to Maggie and check out some triplet boards for information. I hope for you that they'll see 2 on the next ultrasound but I do understand that that's upsetting, too. (( )) Best of luck.

mira
mira

March 15th, 2011, 7:43 pm #5

My best to all,
Lu
First big Congratulations on seeing the heartbeats.
I totally understand your worries. Please don't feel guilty for feeling worried. I just hope you will have the healthiest pregnancy ever and if God has planned for you to have 3 kids all at once, to give you all the resources to give them the best you can.

Big Huggs.
mira

March 15th, 2011, 7:53 pm #6

My best to all,
Lu
When I was a kid, I had friends who were triplets (and this was before the advent of IVF, so they were natural!), so it can work out. They were perfectly healthy, as was their mother. Personally, I've always thought identical twins would be fun. I have 2 sets of identical twins in my family, but I checked information about it when I was pregnant before, and found out that while fraternal twins can run in families (there is a genetic component to the tendancy to release more than one egg in a cycle), identical are totally random. I had a single.

Anyway, try to think positive. Surely your dr. can give you some guidance as to how safe it is for you to carry triplets, given your build and health. It seems like it would be safe enough at this point; the possible problems would happen later, as they get much bigger.

Also, a friend of mine who also did IVF with donor eggs had triplets at the first u/s (they transferred 3), but only 2 after a month or so. Her twins are the same age as my daughter now (9). So, one does sometimes miscarry on its own. Hopefully, your body knows what's best for it, and will hang on to the children you were meant to have.

good luck!

--Brigid

wt
wt

March 15th, 2011, 8:16 pm #7

My best to all,
Lu
I absolutely can see why you would be concerned! It is wonderful to have a successful pregnancy but, as you say, three would be overwhelming. I just want you to know that whatever you decide to do is okay. We have choices and options so that we can do what we feel is right for us and our families. I know that some of the choices are hard but your health and the health of your babies is the most important thing. Please take care of yourself and know that we are thinking of you.

Rachel

Alli
Alli

March 15th, 2011, 8:32 pm #8

My best to all,
Lu
Hi Lu!
As a new mom of triplets, I can personally tell you that if you get those right doctors on your side (high risk MFM with multiples experience), everything should be fine. I would recommend logging onto www.tripletconnection.com and looking at their forums. There is so much advice and experience there. Also- Dr Barbara Luke's book on expecting multiples is awesome. It has tons of help with the emotional aspects and shock!!

Btw- I gave birth last Sunday after an uneventful 34 week pregnancy. My babies are very healthy. I am so in love and can't imagine my world without any one of them.

Feel free to ask me anything.

March 15th, 2011, 9:35 pm #9

My best to all,
Lu
Identical twins and a singleton! Good luck researching and deciding.

Bear

Hope2009
Hope2009

March 15th, 2011, 9:44 pm #10

My best to all,
Lu
This is a tough situation for you and although it is wonderful to have a successful cycle I understand that you are wanting to be physically at your best to carry your babies to give them the best shot possible without risking your health.

I just wanted to let you know that here I am at 51 pg with twins from our FET last fall. We transferred 3 blasts so i knew the risks of multiples. My RE told me just before they were transferring that the blasts looked really good and there was a high possibility of triplets.

For me, since we travel at a distance to our clinic and igt feels like we have to move heaven and earth to cycle.. hearing I'm sorry and knowing we have to start over was the deciding factor. I just wanted to give ourselves the best chance of hearing, congratulations....that and the other fact that we put in 3 before and out of that came our singleton...you just never know.

so when we found out we were having twins it was still a shock but I trusted my body to know what to do...as it turned out I had a chorionic hematoma detected early which explained my spotting and I had to take it easy for several weeks...that is when I knew that I really wanted both babies to survive.

I've had an easy pgcy with these two babes though so I wanted to tell you that not all multiple pgcies are difficult or fraught with risks. I think if you take care of yourself and listen to your body, follow your Dr.'s advise,this is very doable. Also, your RE is certainly correct...multiples reduce in many cases on their own..so sad but that may help you not having to make that decision on your own...no judgement at all here...each of us has to do what they think is best for their health, the babies health and the future upbringing of the children.

I just wanted to shine a positive light and let you know that I'm having a great twin pgcy...it isn't all doom and gloom....and I'm probably WAY older than you too...I think part of it is a mindset...our minds have great power over our bodies so while I appreciate you have a lot to ponder...some trust that what is meant to be can be a powerful tool right now.

Congratualations 3 times! Hold onto the thought that all shall be well...many blessings to you and your DH, Hope