speaking of fish oil

speaking of fish oil

March 6th, 2011, 8:08 pm #1

I am curious what people took before cycling and whether they had Dr's approval.

Also, what are the amounts?

E.g., folgard...I'm really dithering over that because I can't get a prescription and can't figure out what the ratio is of B6, B12 and folic acid. And the folgard is 2.5 mg--so how many mcgs would that be? And then how much B12 and B6 do you add?

And would you have to do ALL of it? All 2.5 mgs?

We're all taking 1 mg right? At least that's what I think my prenatal says.

I'm not good at math!

And I am really reluctant to take it if it is not recommended. But then I am so torn because of course I'm feeling kind of desperate at this point.

March 6th, 2011, 8:39 pm #2

I couldn't get the brand Folgard in my country so I googled it and read the ingredients and 'built' it myself. I got an RX for folic acid. (I had to take a LOT of that-- 5 mg -- because of MTHFR, but my RI never mentioned B6 or B12 and I wanted to add it.)

What I found googling right now was that a folgard pill has 10 mg vitamin B6, 800 mcg folic acid, and 115 mcg B12.

A mg is 1000 mcg.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 6th, 2011, 8:42 pm #3

I am curious what people took before cycling and whether they had Dr's approval.

E.g., folgard...I'm really dithering over that because I can't get a prescription and can't figure out what the ratio is of B6, B12 and folic acid. And the folgard is 2.5 mg--so how many mcgs would that be? And then how much B12 and B6 do you add?

I'm not good at math!

And I am really reluctant to take it if it is not recommended. But then I am so torn because of course I'm feeling kind of desperate at this point.
Folgard® Rx 2.2 (this was what was prescribed to me by the Beer Center)contains:

2.5 mg folic acid
25 mg Vitamin B6
1000 mcg Vitamin B12

(yes I took this in addition to a prenatal)

here is a link that has charts at the bottom saying how to make your own equivalent Folgard Rx 2.2 using OTC supplements

http://www.fvleiden.org/ask/77.html

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 6th, 2011, 8:46 pm #4

I couldn't get the brand Folgard in my country so I googled it and read the ingredients and 'built' it myself. I got an RX for folic acid. (I had to take a LOT of that-- 5 mg -- because of MTHFR, but my RI never mentioned B6 or B12 and I wanted to add it.)

What I found googling right now was that a folgard pill has 10 mg vitamin B6, 800 mcg folic acid, and 115 mcg B12.

A mg is 1000 mcg.

Hope this helps.
those doses are low in the Folgard you googled - I believe there is an OTC version of folgard that is much weaker than the Folgard Rx 2.2 that RI docs prescribe.

March 6th, 2011, 10:20 pm #5

Folgard® Rx 2.2 (this was what was prescribed to me by the Beer Center)contains:

2.5 mg folic acid
25 mg Vitamin B6
1000 mcg Vitamin B12

(yes I took this in addition to a prenatal)

here is a link that has charts at the bottom saying how to make your own equivalent Folgard Rx 2.2 using OTC supplements

from OTC vits. to match folgard 2.2 which is the recommended strength (because Folgard 2.2 is unavailable in the UK).

1mg B12
5mg Folic Acid
50mg B6

Daily for starting at least 2 months before cycling.

Daisy
xx
Last edited by loochieuk on March 6th, 2011, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesameboat
thesameboat

March 6th, 2011, 10:31 pm #6

those doses are low in the Folgard you googled - I believe there is an OTC version of folgard that is much weaker than the Folgard Rx 2.2 that RI docs prescribe.
Thanks! I was kind of surprised, because 8oo mcg is low for anyone who really needs it!

thesameboat
thesameboat

March 6th, 2011, 10:33 pm #7

from OTC vits. to match folgard 2.2 which is the recommended strength (because Folgard 2.2 is unavailable in the UK).

1mg B12
5mg Folic Acid
50mg B6

Daisy
xx
Sorry for the mix-up. I am going to have to go downstairs and actually READ the old notes before I post about these things. The only one I had in my head was the 5 mg of folic acid. Sorry, again!

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 6th, 2011, 10:37 pm #8

1mg B12
5mg Folic Acid
50mg B6

Daisy
xx
1mg B12
5mg Folic Acid
50mg B6

That's twice the folic acid in Folgard 2.2, were you on a double dose?

It is also twice the B6 as in Folgard 2.2, but that could be because it is hard to find B6 OTC pills smaller than 50s.

The B12 amount you were taking is the same.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 6th, 2011, 10:45 pm #9

Thanks! I was kind of surprised, because 8oo mcg is low for anyone who really needs it!
yeah the second chart on this link below shows the OTC folgard listed with the low doses, the author says it is too low a dose to help with thrombophilias, it is not the prescription strength:

I remember running across it after Beer Ctr had prescribed Folgard, I found it online, it was so much cheaper than the pharmacy and I didn't need a prescription to buy it, YAY! But after looking into it I realized there is a huge difference between the prescription Folgard 2.2. I don't know WHY they can't sell Folgard 2.2 over the counter, it sure is easier taking one pill.

I want to make sure anyone here who wants to self-medicate for Folgard 2.2 is getting the right dosages.

March 7th, 2011, 1:00 am #10

I'm not good at math!

hi, hope this helps. i took Ethical Nutrients High Strength Fish Oil. you only need a teaspoon and it is equivilent to 8 capsules.
i have arthritis plus have antiphopsphilipid syndrome. with that in mind i took the fish oil.
i used to live next to a nurse who also has antulupus coagulant like me. she takes 8000 mgs a day and is totally functional 90% of the time so i took that amount when ttcing.
I also took folic acid 5mgs a day which is a high dosage.
I took baby asprin (cartia) one a day. And of course the hormones etc.
hope this helps,
, best TH