So what's a transfer like?

So what's a transfer like?

May 28th, 2012, 1:34 pm #1

I'll be having my transfer this week, either tomorrow (Tuesday) or Thursday. (We got 5 eggs on Saturday, 4 of which fertilized. We're waiting to see how they develop.)

It just occurred to me that I don't know what to expect. I never made it to IVF with my OE. I've had IUIs, hysteroscopy, HSG, endometrial biopsy, mock transfer, and more. None of these caused much discomfort for me. Surely the real transfer can't be anymore uncomfortable than any of these. Or can it? Is it exactly like the mock transfer? (That sounds like a really stupid question as I write it, but I'll leave it there, just in case it's not.) I'm picturing a pretty simple procedure. Am I underestimating it? Thanks for any intel.

Thanks!

May 28th, 2012, 1:46 pm #2

I've never been able to even get to the point of OE IVF or IUI. My transfer reminded me of a yearly pap. Speculum and then insert the catheter and that was it for me.

May 28th, 2012, 1:48 pm #3

I'll be having my transfer this week, either tomorrow (Tuesday) or Thursday. (We got 5 eggs on Saturday, 4 of which fertilized. We're waiting to see how they develop.)

It just occurred to me that I don't know what to expect. I never made it to IVF with my OE. I've had IUIs, hysteroscopy, HSG, endometrial biopsy, mock transfer, and more. None of these caused much discomfort for me. Surely the real transfer can't be anymore uncomfortable than any of these. Or can it? Is it exactly like the mock transfer? (That sounds like a really stupid question as I write it, but I'll leave it there, just in case it's not.) I'm picturing a pretty simple procedure. Am I underestimating it? Thanks for any intel.

Thanks!
I've heard lots of transfer stories on this board (mostly good and a few bad), but I have to tell you that my transfer was a truly beautiful experience. Part of that MAY have been that I took a valium 30 minutes prior to the procedure (not to relax me, they said, but to relax my uterus), so I was feeling pretty happy and calm. The embryologist let us look at our embies under the microscope before starting, which, for a molecular biologist like myself, was awesome, and she also gave us a few pictures of the two blasts to keep. The procedure itself was simple - I felt no discomfort at all and as we watched on the monitor, we imagined that we could see our embies moving down the catheter line. We couldn't, of course, all we could really see was the fluid and the air bubbles, but it was neat to imagine it. The actual transfer didn't take more than a couple minutes, but they had me remain lying down on the table for 30 additional minutes. It was a really special time for me and DH to talk and laugh and be more hopeful than we'd been in many years...

Even though we've hit a lot of bumps in the road since then, I'll always have very fond memories of my first transfer. If we ever have to do it again, I hope to experience the same thing!

Good luck!

May 28th, 2012, 2:20 pm #4

Thanks!
If you haven't had discomfort with the HSG or the mock transfer, you'll probably be fine. In my case, each of those preliminary procedures were quite uncomfortable, including some of my IUIs. (This may be because I have endometriosis.) I took 2 Valium before the transfer, which helped some, but I won't lie, it was fairly painful. I just held my DH's hand and thought of our sweet little embie taking root...which he did! We just celebrated his 6 month birthday.

I don't want to scare you, and I hope yours will be painless, but I want you to know that you have a good chance of a positive outcome either way. Good luck!

May 28th, 2012, 2:42 pm #5

Thanks!
I had my first transfer in March - like you, I never did IVF so I didn't know what to expect. It was the same as my mock transfer except for a few things: full bladder, different waiting area (more sterile), valium to relax my uterus, and the actual transfer was done in a sterile room - tv screen in corner with a pic of my embryo, calming music, dark room - hair net & booties. The transfer was quick and pain free - I thought a lot about my donor who had been there just a few days prior and how much more involved her procedure was. Then they wheeled me back to my waiting area where I hung out with my husband. I had to lay flat for 30 (?) minutes - after 15 they offered me a bedpan - I had every intention to hold it, but oh goodness, they made me drink so much water I was about to burst, and I had to lay there another 30 minutes or so, so I gave in and felt so much better. After my rest period was up they made me get in a wheelchair and took me out to the curb where my husband picked me up - then I went home and laid in bed for 2 days... Hope all the info helps - Good luck - It's very exciting - and you're right, it's a pretty simple procedure!

May 28th, 2012, 3:20 pm #6

Thanks!
My HSG was very painful. But my transfers were all painless. They were just like the mock transfer. They only took a few minutes. The only uncomfortable part is you have a full bladder and you have to wait about 15 minutes after the transfer before you can get up and go to the bathroom. You watch all of it on a monitor so it is really cool. The embryologist will bring pictures of the embryos to you before the transfer and explain the quality. That part is really sweet

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

May 28th, 2012, 5:16 pm #7

Thanks!
As others above have said it is pretty straight forward. If you did not have any issues with the mock you should be fine. If I recall correctly SG only made we stay on the table for 15 minutes after the transfer. RE came in an gave me an update on embryo status and made the decision about how many to transfer. After we did that embryologist came in an confirmed identity. Embryologist then left and put a picture of embryo on screen. Embryologist came back a couple of minutes later with embryo loaded in catheter. You watch the threading of the catheter on the monitor. I couldn't see embryo although RE and embryologist did. Good luck to you! I can't wait to hear your update.

thesameboat
thesameboat

May 28th, 2012, 6:34 pm #8

Thanks!
I've had 10. One was uncomfortable.
Good luck to you!

May 28th, 2012, 7:07 pm #9

I've never been able to even get to the point of OE IVF or IUI. My transfer reminded me of a yearly pap. Speculum and then insert the catheter and that was it for me.
Glad it was an easy procedure for you. Thanks for sharing your experience!

May 28th, 2012, 7:10 pm #10

I've heard lots of transfer stories on this board (mostly good and a few bad), but I have to tell you that my transfer was a truly beautiful experience. Part of that MAY have been that I took a valium 30 minutes prior to the procedure (not to relax me, they said, but to relax my uterus), so I was feeling pretty happy and calm. The embryologist let us look at our embies under the microscope before starting, which, for a molecular biologist like myself, was awesome, and she also gave us a few pictures of the two blasts to keep. The procedure itself was simple - I felt no discomfort at all and as we watched on the monitor, we imagined that we could see our embies moving down the catheter line. We couldn't, of course, all we could really see was the fluid and the air bubbles, but it was neat to imagine it. The actual transfer didn't take more than a couple minutes, but they had me remain lying down on the table for 30 additional minutes. It was a really special time for me and DH to talk and laugh and be more hopeful than we'd been in many years...

Even though we've hit a lot of bumps in the road since then, I'll always have very fond memories of my first transfer. If we ever have to do it again, I hope to experience the same thing!

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like it's so much more than just lying down and having them insert a catheter. i.e., getting to look at the embryos, etc. Plus the valium helps for sure!

Thanks, and I'm continuing to send you good thoughts and wishes as your pregnancy moves forward!