similar problem - just 2 vs. 1

similar problem - just 2 vs. 1

wt
wt

February 17th, 2011, 7:59 pm #1

All my embies seem to be doing well, six 8-cell, one 7-cell and one 6-cell on day 3 so we'll be doing a day 5 transfer and I just assumed that with a day 5 transfer, they would only transfer one. Now, the doctor says he usually does 2. I'm a single mother with a 4 year old but I have a full-time live-in nanny and my parents are super, super helpful(but live a long way away). I'm just worried about having two on my own plus my 4 year old. Selective reduction of any kind is illegal here and I had heard that there are also clinics in the US that don't like to do 2 to 1 even though it's legal there. Anyway, it seems like such a HUGE risk either way (put in two few and get a BFN or put in two many and have more babies that you can handle). Anyway, still working it out and would love any insights.

Rachel

LizLA
LizLA

February 17th, 2011, 8:16 pm #2

I would look at fragmentation and such... But eventually if twins is not an option I would do only 1.

GL

wt
wt

February 17th, 2011, 8:30 pm #3

All my embies seem to be doing well, six 8-cell, one 7-cell and one 6-cell on day 3 so we'll be doing a day 5 transfer and I just assumed that with a day 5 transfer, they would only transfer one. Now, the doctor says he usually does 2. I'm a single mother with a 4 year old but I have a full-time live-in nanny and my parents are super, super helpful(but live a long way away). I'm just worried about having two on my own plus my 4 year old. Selective reduction of any kind is illegal here and I had heard that there are also clinics in the US that don't like to do 2 to 1 even though it's legal there. Anyway, it seems like such a HUGE risk either way (put in two few and get a BFN or put in two many and have more babies that you can handle). Anyway, still working it out and would love any insights.

Rachel
two few vs two many instead of too few vs. too many

I guess I have the number 2 on my brain! Is this a sign?

Kacee
Kacee

February 17th, 2011, 8:40 pm #4

Rachel
not tell by looking at an embryo, whether it will be successful.

pixl
pixl

February 17th, 2011, 9:33 pm #5

Rachel
But I said no, I only want to transfer 1 because I did not want twins. My clinic has a pretty high twin rate from 2 blasts. I am now 15w along with that 1 blast so no regrets here, although we were mentally prepared to come back for a FET if it didn't work.

It sounds like you may end up with a bunch of blasts, so if you have some left to freeze then I would seriously consider just transferring 1.

February 17th, 2011, 11:41 pm #6

Rachel
So I guess I would advise putting in only what your family can bear. But then, I was lucky.

February 18th, 2011, 12:06 am #7

Rachel
...so we transfered two high quality grade one expanded blasts (I was 29 y/o and donor was 22 y/o). I really only 'wanted' one baby at a time, but we ended up with boy/girl twins on our first DE attempt as it was the only attempt we'd get (due to finances) at a cycle.

We cycled overseas and the embryologist mentioned transfering THREE! I had never had a real chance at a pg due to POF, so I had no idea if I had issues or not, but I would never had transferred three. I had a grade two expanded blast of good quality (plus five more blasts).

If you are totally against the possibility of twins (although SET have a small chance of turning into identical twins), then I would only transfer one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: 32 y/o He had an affair, now divorcing. :

TTC'd 4 yrs - POF'er with 1st DE cycle in April '08. TWINS! Embies frozen on day 6: 4 grade two & 2 grade three blasts.

Healthy BOY and GIRL were born in Nov 2008!

Lu
Lu

February 18th, 2011, 1:05 am #8

Rachel
definetly would take twins over a bfn, but would prefer a singleton. For me, I wouldn't mind raising twins, I would probably just be more of a basket-case during the pregnancy due to the risks involved. At the end of day, you have to go with your gut and do only what you feel comfortable with. No one else can make that decision for you.
Also, wanted to congratulate you on how wonderful your embies are doing! They sound great! Let us know what you decide.
Lu

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

February 18th, 2011, 1:21 am #9

Rachel
Congrats!! I think is a personal decision...hard to balance the desire to get a bfp with the risk of multiples. GL with your decision.

February 18th, 2011, 2:05 am #10

Rachel
Our fresh SET failed so I made them transfer 2 for the FET. The clinic was sure not happy with me, as they now always encourage SETs for donor cycles (assuming the quality is good). Anyway...their stats for FETs are very good and our embryo quality was good. Perfect b/b twins and enough good embies left that we are donating them to another couple. So, if the ivf lab does a good job with freezing and thawing and you can afford it, you can do back to back frozen cycles if the fresh is a bfn. Good luck!