Short cervix at 20 weeks

Short cervix at 20 weeks

July 14th, 2015, 2:31 am #1

Despite all the problems I had with DS's pregnancy, a short cervix was never one of them! I had my anatomy scan today and the little man is doing well and measuring right on track at 20 weeks. However, my cervix measured only 2.7cm, much less than average, but slightly above the clinical definition of "short cervix". Anyone have experience with this? For the time being, I will be monitored weekly, but the MFM does not think a cerclage or any progesterone therapy is necessary unless it continues to shorten next week.

Any experience or advice appreciated!
TIA,
Leigh

July 16th, 2015, 6:12 pm #2

I'm a bit surprised your OB didn't put you on bed rest, although current thinking is that it doesn't do that much good anyway. Let us know the results of next week's visit! It's nerve-racking when members put serious stuff out there and don't follow up. {{{Hugs}}} Maggie (in VA)

July 17th, 2015, 1:37 pm #3

The latest evidence from two very large international studies shows that bedrest, at best, results in the same outcome as "pelvic rest". One study actually showed a negative correlation; in other words, those placed on bedrest had a higher percentage of preterm birth. I think doctors just want to do something and there's not a whole lot they can do, so patients are still placed on bedrest... but the evidence against it is gaining steam. Thank goodness!