Shared donor cycles?

Shared donor cycles?

may2806
may2806

March 2nd, 2011, 5:33 pm #1

Hi ladies: I posted a few days ago about shared risk vs non-shared risk. My current clinic (which I'd like to stay at) doesn't offer shared risk but does offer shared cycles (2 recipient couples) which are significantly less. I am finding out about this but I am wondering if anyone is doing this and how they feel about how it will affect the outcome. The questions I have are:

- How does it affect the success of your cycle (ie are there lower success rates)?
- How logistically is it set up?
- How are the quality and quantity of eggs distributed?

If anyone is doing this can you let me know your experience? thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 2nd, 2011, 5:53 pm #2

I did a split cycle in 2009 and became pregnant (and delivered) twin girls. My donor produced 12 eggs, I got 6, of those 5 fertized. I transferred 3 on day 5. None to freeze. It cost me $6200 plus half the meds. My logic was alot of eggs aren't frozen because they don't meet grade, yet they are capable of producing a healthy baby. ( I know this because my OE DD was produced from a batch of 5 crappy eggs) FETs have a lower success rate. thus i would rather try fresh twice then once and have frozens. Because the average success of DE is 50%, it just made sense. I also didn't think i would want any more children. I was wrong! I am currently getting ready to cycle split again. They basically sync everyone's cycle with BCPs. Then one receipant is primary, the other secondary. At my clinic the primary agrees to pay $3000 more if there are 9 or less eggs, and the secondary gets a refund. The primary gets the extra egg in the event of an odd number. My clinic usually only uses provens for splits, but this time they agreed to use a new 23yo donor because myself and my split partner (who is a friend) were willing to accept the risks involved with an unproven. Alot of other clinics actually split all their donors and they aren't proven. Hope this helps.

wt
wt

March 2nd, 2011, 6:01 pm #3

Hi ladies: I posted a few days ago about shared risk vs non-shared risk. My current clinic (which I'd like to stay at) doesn't offer shared risk but does offer shared cycles (2 recipient couples) which are significantly less. I am finding out about this but I am wondering if anyone is doing this and how they feel about how it will affect the outcome. The questions I have are:

- How does it affect the success of your cycle (ie are there lower success rates)?

Hi there,

I did a split cycle since it was so much cheaper. My donor produced 20 eggs, I got 9 (I think a few weren't good enough to use). Of the 9, 6 fertilized so I transferred one embryo and have 5 frosties and I'm still in my 2ww. I'm overseas already so the total cost was around $6,000 plus a couple hundred for meds. The only downside is that the donor is completely anonymous, no age, height, education, nothing, but they do complete all the AMA recommended physical and psychological screening so we know that they are healthy, with no substance abuse issues.

Rachel

Kacee
Kacee

March 3rd, 2011, 3:34 am #4

that I shared with, were also successful. I was at a clinic that offered shared risk, but the cost was more than four times the cost (even more if you add in meds and monitoring) than the clinic I transferred to.

March 3rd, 2011, 3:38 am #5

The only downfall is that our kids aren't 100% genetic siblings. Our first cycle produced our DD and we had 2 frozen blasts, but those were a BFN. Our next shared cycle produced our DD and DS twins. We have 3 frozen blasts from that cycle. I can honestly tell you we probably spent less for the 2 shared cycles than what others pay for a single cycle. The only thing that I really regret was freezing the first two blasts and paying to transfer them, but that's only because nothing really came of it. Like the other post mentioned, most clinics only use donors who have a higher egg count or real quality embryos. Anyhow, shared cycles do produce babies and from my experience some left over.

Orchid
Orchid

March 3rd, 2011, 2:23 pm #6

I did a split cycle in 2009 and became pregnant (and delivered) twin girls. My donor produced 12 eggs, I got 6, of those 5 fertized. I transferred 3 on day 5. None to freeze. It cost me $6200 plus half the meds. My logic was alot of eggs aren't frozen because they don't meet grade, yet they are capable of producing a healthy baby. ( I know this because my OE DD was produced from a batch of 5 crappy eggs) FETs have a lower success rate. thus i would rather try fresh twice then once and have frozens. Because the average success of DE is 50%, it just made sense. I also didn't think i would want any more children. I was wrong! I am currently getting ready to cycle split again. They basically sync everyone's cycle with BCPs. Then one receipant is primary, the other secondary. At my clinic the primary agrees to pay $3000 more if there are 9 or less eggs, and the secondary gets a refund. The primary gets the extra egg in the event of an odd number. My clinic usually only uses provens for splits, but this time they agreed to use a new 23yo donor because myself and my split partner (who is a friend) were willing to accept the risks involved with an unproven. Alot of other clinics actually split all their donors and they aren't proven. Hope this helps.
How much did it cost? I hope that's not a rude question!

ALM
ALM

March 4th, 2011, 3:44 am #7

and the cost is $14k. I think the outcome depends on the donor. For the donor I chose, her first 2 cycles were great:

22 eggs retrieved, 21 fertilized
11 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized

"All parties involved had a positive pg". Not sure if there were 2, 3 or 4 involved (meaning whether the first two or one of the first two were shared)

She's currently on cycle #3, so not sure what the outcome will be there. I'm in on #4, set for April.

I hope this helps!I think if you only want 1 baby, you can likely get pg with a proven donor on a shared cycle, even if it doesn't happen on 1st try but rather on frozens. Good luck!