requesting input on agencies

requesting input on agencies

nycmomma
nycmomma

March 12th, 2012, 1:16 am #1

I am feeling so overwhelmed. There are SO many agencies, and it seems if you google any of them, you'll find either very unhappy donors or IPs who've had bad experiences with any of them. And their agency fee seems so outrageously high. I have a friend who has been through this. She paid $5K for her agency and felt that once the donor was turned over to the clinic, did nothing. She said she felt the earned maybe half of that in terms of the amount of work they actually did. She had success, but felt very annoyed by the agency the whole time.

HOW does one find a good agency? I just read a horror story of a couple who gave their agency $5K, the donor backed out at the last minute, and they never got their money back. The agency disappeared when the donor did.

Many of these places seem to want money BEFORE the donor has even been accepted by the clinic. That doesn't seem right to me at all. I could possibly understand putting down a deposit, but not the entire fee before she's been screened.

It's really nerve-wracking. We've found our clinic, but finding the donor/agency seems even more daunting.

Oh, and if you're wondering, I doubt I'll find a donor in-house. I already spoke to our clinic's donor coordinator and she agreed that we'll find what we want much faster with a bigger donor pool to choose from, hence go with an agency.

Any pointers on how to go about this without losing any more sleep than I already have???

March 12th, 2012, 1:43 am #2

Hi there:

I know exactly how you feel. I have pretty strong opinions, first of all, I don't believe you should send any money until your dr. Has approved your donor.

You might find it helpful to read my past posts here about agencies. No one is perfect, but there are two I would actually trust.

nycmomma
nycmomma

March 12th, 2012, 1:57 am #3

thanks, I'll search your prior posts as well

March 12th, 2012, 2:43 am #4

I am feeling so overwhelmed. There are SO many agencies, and it seems if you google any of them, you'll find either very unhappy donors or IPs who've had bad experiences with any of them. And their agency fee seems so outrageously high. I have a friend who has been through this. She paid $5K for her agency and felt that once the donor was turned over to the clinic, did nothing. She said she felt the earned maybe half of that in terms of the amount of work they actually did. She had success, but felt very annoyed by the agency the whole time.

HOW does one find a good agency? I just read a horror story of a couple who gave their agency $5K, the donor backed out at the last minute, and they never got their money back. The agency disappeared when the donor did.

Many of these places seem to want money BEFORE the donor has even been accepted by the clinic. That doesn't seem right to me at all. I could possibly understand putting down a deposit, but not the entire fee before she's been screened.

It's really nerve-wracking. We've found our clinic, but finding the donor/agency seems even more daunting.

Oh, and if you're wondering, I doubt I'll find a donor in-house. I already spoke to our clinic's donor coordinator and she agreed that we'll find what we want much faster with a bigger donor pool to choose from, hence go with an agency.

Any pointers on how to go about this without losing any more sleep than I already have???
I had a tough time nailing down a donor in my clinic's in-house pool, so I finally had some agencies recommended by my clinic and another local clinic - All of those seemed very reputable, so I'd start by asking your clinic which agencies they have had good working relationships with.

I am on my first (and hopefully only!) DE cycle and I found our donor through Creating New Generations - the owner, Andrea, has been in constant contact with me and has been really great. She is a parent via egg donation. My clinic said she is super - really cares about her donors and recipients. Andrea has better communication with me than my clinic. I did have to pay an agency fee prior to the donor being screened by my clinic, but I did not have to pay the donor compensation etc., until much further along in the process - not until screening was 100% done and donor had traveled to my clinic - just gave over the last check shortly before she started her meds to cycle.

I was apprehensive about using an agency at first, but so far it has been much easier than working with my clinic. If you check out the PVED website I'm pretty sure there is info about things to consider when selecting an agency. For the agency list that I started with, I went to each website, got passwords set up, and then emailed 3 agencies with donors I was interested in - CNG had the quickest response, the most up to date info, and of course my top choice of donor was available, so it was an easy decision for us.

Hope that helps - Good luck!

minniet
minniet

March 12th, 2012, 5:23 am #5

thanks, I'll search your prior posts as well
Were Peas in a Pod and NE Assisted Fertility. Peas can be slow, but are honest, and NE is super fast responsive and actually does verification (Peas will do it if you request it).

You will find the posts below on agencies helpful, I think.

Definitely get key items (that which can be verified) verified. For me, simply doing that told me who was honest. And neither demands money before your RE reviews a donor's records.

Piper
Piper

March 12th, 2012, 10:54 am #6

Hi there:

I know exactly how you feel. I have pretty strong opinions, first of all, I don't believe you should send any money until your dr. Has approved your donor.

You might find it helpful to read my past posts here about agencies. No one is perfect, but there are two I would actually trust.
I noticed on the last thread where you asked about this topic someone posted that the list of agencies posted on ASRM's website means that they are "approved" by ASRM.

This is not the case.

All that list means is that the listed agencies have agreed to keep their compensation within ASRM guidelines and not to exceed 10K. And even that is not verified. We all know many agencies and REs that routinely compensate donors more than 10K and simply look the other way.

Donor agencies are truly a "buyer beware" business. Throughout the years on this board, I have seen abhorrent behavior again and again. We were all dismayed when minniet asked for simple verification of the information on donor applications and was offered excuses as to why this could not be provided or the information provided did not match what was on the application (really, really did not match)

Remember also that you are out a great deal of money of the donor you choose does not pass medical screening.

I am not a fan of agencies, as you can tell. I think it is a much better option to go with the donor pool at a top-tier clinic. Even better, go with frozen eggs at a top-tier frozen egg program (take all the guess work out and get your guarantees)

March 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm #7

I've also been following the recent posts on refund programs etc and trying to find out more about where I might head for DE (local in Asia/Australia, the U.K or the U.S). Thank you to everyone who's already posted about agencies.....I've been keeping notes . (although hints on how you search for prior posts most welcome...I've not been able to work that out).

Do any clinics have known-donor in-house pools ? The impression I'm getting is that if I use a clinic with a refund (like RBA who sound lovely online) I need to go separately through an agency to get a known donor. Is that correct ? It matters a great deal to me that the donor is someone I can hopefully have a discussion with but who is also prepared to be open identity. I haven't seen any clinics referenced that have in-house pools that aren't anon donors.....

Thanks !

Al

nycmomma
nycmomma

March 12th, 2012, 2:55 pm #8

Were Peas in a Pod and NE Assisted Fertility. Peas can be slow, but are honest, and NE is super fast responsive and actually does verification (Peas will do it if you request it).

You will find the posts below on agencies helpful, I think.

Definitely get key items (that which can be verified) verified. For me, simply doing that told me who was honest. And neither demands money before your RE reviews a donor's records.
what is easily verified? age? school?

What about previous cycle results? Can those be verified?

nycmomma
nycmomma

March 12th, 2012, 2:57 pm #9

I noticed on the last thread where you asked about this topic someone posted that the list of agencies posted on ASRM's website means that they are "approved" by ASRM.

This is not the case.

All that list means is that the listed agencies have agreed to keep their compensation within ASRM guidelines and not to exceed 10K. And even that is not verified. We all know many agencies and REs that routinely compensate donors more than 10K and simply look the other way.

Donor agencies are truly a "buyer beware" business. Throughout the years on this board, I have seen abhorrent behavior again and again. We were all dismayed when minniet asked for simple verification of the information on donor applications and was offered excuses as to why this could not be provided or the information provided did not match what was on the application (really, really did not match)

Remember also that you are out a great deal of money of the donor you choose does not pass medical screening.

I am not a fan of agencies, as you can tell. I think it is a much better option to go with the donor pool at a top-tier clinic. Even better, go with frozen eggs at a top-tier frozen egg program (take all the guess work out and get your guarantees)
I am considering looking for frozen eggs. I found a clinic, CT Fertility, that is not too far from me and I believe will let you work with their frozen eggs and your clinic.

Thanks for the pointer on ASRM.

nycmomma
nycmomma

March 12th, 2012, 3:00 pm #10

I had a tough time nailing down a donor in my clinic's in-house pool, so I finally had some agencies recommended by my clinic and another local clinic - All of those seemed very reputable, so I'd start by asking your clinic which agencies they have had good working relationships with.

I am on my first (and hopefully only!) DE cycle and I found our donor through Creating New Generations - the owner, Andrea, has been in constant contact with me and has been really great. She is a parent via egg donation. My clinic said she is super - really cares about her donors and recipients. Andrea has better communication with me than my clinic. I did have to pay an agency fee prior to the donor being screened by my clinic, but I did not have to pay the donor compensation etc., until much further along in the process - not until screening was 100% done and donor had traveled to my clinic - just gave over the last check shortly before she started her meds to cycle.

I was apprehensive about using an agency at first, but so far it has been much easier than working with my clinic. If you check out the PVED website I'm pretty sure there is info about things to consider when selecting an agency. For the agency list that I started with, I went to each website, got passwords set up, and then emailed 3 agencies with donors I was interested in - CNG had the quickest response, the most up to date info, and of course my top choice of donor was available, so it was an easy decision for us.

Hope that helps - Good luck!
I was thinking of CNG and then found these reviews, several of which are pretty bad:

http://www.greateggs.com/creating-new-generations.html

One of the reviews said that CNG does not allow you to see receipts?? Was that your experience? Because I don't see how they could demand that...