?? regarding intralipids and lovenox

?? regarding intralipids and lovenox

jmassage
jmassage

September 6th, 2012, 5:50 pm #1

I am doing my mock cycle this month for DE. I have been checked for some immune issues, but not all. My clinic offers intralipids which I am going to do in addition to lovenox. I am not sure if I even have NKC, but would like to play it safe. My question is, this won't hurt me in any sort of way since Im not sure if I even have any, correct? As far as lovenox, I was under the assumption that this was an oral steroid. Is that correct?? Thanks

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 6th, 2012, 7:23 pm #2

no, lovenox is a blood thinner that you inject subcutaneously. i wouldn't think that intralipids could hurt you at all, but i'd check on the lovenox. i'm on it and my re was kinda of concerned about it.

Dee
Dee

September 6th, 2012, 7:57 pm #3

I am doing my mock cycle this month for DE. I have been checked for some immune issues, but not all. My clinic offers intralipids which I am going to do in addition to lovenox. I am not sure if I even have NKC, but would like to play it safe. My question is, this won't hurt me in any sort of way since Im not sure if I even have any, correct? As far as lovenox, I was under the assumption that this was an oral steroid. Is that correct?? Thanks
Lovenox and heparin do not cross the placenta, so they are safe for the embryo/fetus. I am not sure about whether they are safe for you personally, though.... I think you would need to ask your doctor.

demomone
demomone

September 7th, 2012, 2:52 am #4

is a blood thinner and needs to be monitored closely by blood work, especially during a pregnancy...It can cause complications if not used properly. It should really not be used unless there is an indication for it.

September 7th, 2012, 3:43 am #5

product, mostly. It's a fatty substance. There are no side effects at all from Intralipids. I have high cholesterol so I actually asked if it was going to raise my cholesterol level having all that egg and oil pumped into me. The nurse didn't seem to think it would, and since I didn't get pg, I only did it once and didn't have to address that issue. (I also googled to find out how many calories it was to see if I had to cut back on food that day. It wasn't as much as I thought it would be.) (I should also add that I am not convinced of the efficacy of Intralipids at all and wouldn't do them again - but this is a different topic.) As far as lovenox or heparin - I echo what the others have said. Blood thinners are serious medicine - even though quite a lot of us have used them for fertility purposes. I had bruising at the injection site (belly) and no other side effects - but I didn't get pg and so wasn't on it long. More serious side effects can depend on your individual health - it can cause stroke, for example, in some people. But I don't want to throw around serious complications and scare you. Just discuss it with your doctor so you know what the risks are. I didn't think there was enough of a risk to use it (I used heparin.) And I will use it again during my next cycle.

September 7th, 2012, 4:05 am #6

oops - I meant "not' use it in my sentence above!

September 7th, 2012, 8:44 am #7

product, mostly. It's a fatty substance. There are no side effects at all from Intralipids. I have high cholesterol so I actually asked if it was going to raise my cholesterol level having all that egg and oil pumped into me. The nurse didn't seem to think it would, and since I didn't get pg, I only did it once and didn't have to address that issue. (I also googled to find out how many calories it was to see if I had to cut back on food that day. It wasn't as much as I thought it would be.) (I should also add that I am not convinced of the efficacy of Intralipids at all and wouldn't do them again - but this is a different topic.) As far as lovenox or heparin - I echo what the others have said. Blood thinners are serious medicine - even though quite a lot of us have used them for fertility purposes. I had bruising at the injection site (belly) and no other side effects - but I didn't get pg and so wasn't on it long. More serious side effects can depend on your individual health - it can cause stroke, for example, in some people. But I don't want to throw around serious complications and scare you. Just discuss it with your doctor so you know what the risks are. I didn't think there was enough of a risk to use it (I used heparin.) And I will use it again during my next cycle.
HI, don't do ivig if you do not have elevated nk cells. Its a tricky and time consuming procedure and has to be carefully monitored by a doctor as it is being given to you. Also must be done in a hospital.
I injected Clexane which is like lovenox/heparin everyday of my cycle and subsequent pregnancy. I have antiphophilipid syndrome. I also took baby aspirin as well. I still take the aspirin everyday. These thin your blood and are not a steroid.
Common steroids for use during ivf are dexamethasone and prednisalone. Both have wicked side effects.
I had no side effects with the clexane or the aspirin. You just have to vary the injection site daily.
best, THK

September 13th, 2012, 12:37 am #8

Lovenox is a subcutaneous shot that you adminster in your lower abdomen. It can cause bruising at the injection site, much more so than other fertlity shots because it is a blood thinner. It can also make you prone to bruise easily elsewhere (I definately experienced this, a tiny bump against a table and I got a bruise.) It is made from pig intestinal mucuous (I like to read all the medication packaging inserts when I'm bored). As a vegetarian who hasn't eaten pig products in probably 5 years I tried to ignore this fact.

Most people who take Lovenox do so through their entire pregnancy up until a week or so before delivery at which point they might be switched to another form of blood thinner that stays in the blood stream for a shorter period of time, to prevent any bleeding issues during delivery. The theory is that if the pregnancy needed that level of blood flow, there may be some risk in stopping it too early.

My OB refered me to a perinatologist who convinced me to stop taking Lovenox during my current pregancy because there wasn't evidence of a true diagnosed need for it, that it was simply prescribed to me prophylacticly because I had failure after failure. I am still taking baby aspirin which the perinatologist was comfortable with as there are more published studies of women taking baby aspirin during pregnancy than Lovenox. Baby aspirin was shown to be associated with lower risk of high blood pressure and preeclampsia. As I am over 40 and carrying twins and thus at a higher risk for preeclampsia, so it seemed to make sense to keep taking the baby aspirin.

Good luck to you whatever you and your RE decide for your next cycle!