recommendations on DE agencies? esp when education is on top of criteria list?

recommendations on DE agencies? esp when education is on top of criteria list?

maybe1
maybe1

April 7th, 2011, 1:22 am #1

I'm starting on this journey, and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole process of "looking for the egg" .

I would be very grateful for any recommendations of DE agencies to start with looking into. I'd especially love to know if there are ones that focus on donors with great school performance / education, since this seems to be among the top things we care about so far. We live in north CA, but we are fine with flying the donor from out of state too.

Thank you!

minniet
minniet

April 7th, 2011, 1:35 am #2

Hi there:

I am in the process of reviewing donors, and we also highly value academics. It has been difficult. I have found that agencies seem to think that certain SATs are ok when they are below average. Also, I see low SATs and absurdly high IQs listed on gals going to cosmetology school. I have not proceeded with those agencies...I simply do not believe the information on the profile, which makes the whole thing suspect.

And I also have heard about those who charge super high fees, but I have not even seen those places, and heck, we can't afford it anyway...

Does anyone know where to find a complete list of donor agencies in the US?

demomone
demomone

April 7th, 2011, 2:28 am #3

I'm starting on this journey, and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole process of "looking for the egg" .

I would be very grateful for any recommendations of DE agencies to start with looking into. I'd especially love to know if there are ones that focus on donors with great school performance / education, since this seems to be among the top things we care about so far. We live in north CA, but we are fine with flying the donor from out of state too.

Thank you!
Why go with an agency? Why can't you just go to a good clinic and use the in house donor pool? Most hospital clinics verify the information they receive.
WE actually started with an agency ..when they gaveus her educational profile, I was able to check the validity of her enrollment in the school they said she went to..she was not registered at that college..We discussed it with the owners of the agency and they got very defensive..that was the end of the agency thing for us.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 7th, 2011, 2:29 am #4

Hi there:

I am in the process of reviewing donors, and we also highly value academics. It has been difficult. I have found that agencies seem to think that certain SATs are ok when they are below average. Also, I see low SATs and absurdly high IQs listed on gals going to cosmetology school. I have not proceeded with those agencies...I simply do not believe the information on the profile, which makes the whole thing suspect.

And I also have heard about those who charge super high fees, but I have not even seen those places, and heck, we can't afford it anyway...

Does anyone know where to find a complete list of donor agencies in the US?
One agency back when I was looking was promoting anyone with an SAT score over 1050 (on the old test scale) as a "high academic achiever". To me that is not high. There ARE some brilliant beautiful donors out there but you have to be very specific. It doesn't hurt to have a phone conversation or meeting with the agency owner, sometimes they don't list all their donors on their database, or they know of donors who may suit but the donors do not want to be listed and gawked at (understandably).

April 7th, 2011, 2:46 am #5

Why go with an agency? Why can't you just go to a good clinic and use the in house donor pool? Most hospital clinics verify the information they receive.
WE actually started with an agency ..when they gaveus her educational profile, I was able to check the validity of her enrollment in the school they said she went to..she was not registered at that college..We discussed it with the owners of the agency and they got very defensive..that was the end of the agency thing for us.
It was great that you were on top of things and knew how to verify her information. Just curious, did your agency give you the names of their donors? I was wondering how you were able to check on her enrollment at college.

Ariadne
Ariadne

April 7th, 2011, 2:26 pm #6

Thank you!
I used Fertility Connections in Mill Valley twice & was very happy with them.

I also looked into Family Fertility Center. While I ended up not needing to use them, I was pleased with my initial interaction.

Please be aware that most donor info. is self-reported. Also, I would use a clinic donor if you are able to find one. Easier & usually less expensive. My RE didn't have in-house donors, so that's why I went with an agency. FC works only with clinics within 2 hrs. of the Bay Area. I don't know if that works for you, but I wanted local, as I didn't want the expense or headache of long distance donation.

macphee
macphee

April 7th, 2011, 3:57 pm #7

Thank you!
this one doesn't give you the hard sell and they seem to have a well educated donors

http://www.assistedfertility.com/index.shtml

The LICSW who I've met with and respect, in my opnion, brings a lot of credibility to the organization.

wished I could have used them - but they didn't have a donor who was local and who's timing would work for me.

April 7th, 2011, 6:13 pm #8

Thank you!
Although our first donor didn't attend college (she had her own business), she sounded "educated" over the phone. Sometimes you can tell if someone is smart by the way they speak. This donation was unsuccessful.

If grades are of paramount concern, you could request a transcript with the donor's name blackened out. That's what we did when we searched for our second donor. One gal who was supposed to be in med school hadn't taken any med school courses (she was actually in a related field). Another donor really had the high grades and SATs that she claimed, but we didn't use her because she had crummy labs.

I investigated our second donor as much as possible before the transfer, and also spoke to her by phone. She spoke like someone who had a good educational background. This donation produced twins.
Last edited by Obie9 on April 7th, 2011, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 7th, 2011, 6:34 pm #9

Thank you!
I really like Mary - easy to talk to and a straight shooter. I was looking for excellent education, health, emotional stabilty, age under 24 and - oh - she had to be a proven donor. Mary had the perfect donor for me. I would definitely give her a call.

Malibugirl

demomone
demomone

April 7th, 2011, 7:02 pm #10

It was great that you were on top of things and knew how to verify her information. Just curious, did your agency give you the names of their donors? I was wondering how you were able to check on her enrollment at college.
It was a small school with a small class in the year they said she graduated. When I had my lawyer call, they did say that they do not ask donors for school ID or letter stating admission.
In that case, I can say I went to Harvard also!!!