RBA Frozen Egg Bank - How many tries does it take? Guarantee vs standard program?

RBA Frozen Egg Bank - How many tries does it take? Guarantee vs standard program?

June 24th, 2011, 6:35 pm #1

Hi.

I'm a newbie to DE.

After lurking on this site for many months, DH (Caucasian) and I (Asian/Vietnamese) have finally decided to take the plunge into DE and are strongly considering the egg bank at RBA due to their donor pool and high success rates.

Anyone know how many cycles/donors most people typically take, before they are successful? After 3 years of TTC and 2 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, we really want peace of mind and are weighing the newly offered guarantee program ($36,500 for 5 donor cycles) versus the standard program ($16,500 for 1 donor cycle) at RBA.

Is the guaranteed program a big mistake? What would you do? HELP!!!

June 24th, 2011, 7:21 pm #2

Who thinks a guarantee program is a mistake, if you qualify, and that can be a big if. These are all frozen egg cycles? Have you been able to find out how many SE Asian donor eggs they have banked? Depending on what's covered, $7300 a shot is about what you would pay for a fresh cycle overseas, and my understanding is that RBA's frozen egg cycles have success rates comparable to fresh. So, yeah, I've always thought $16,500 for a frozen egg cycle was not reasonable when you can get a fresh whole cycle at CNY for $11K+meds, but that sounds a little more thrifty, especially if you get money back with no success. What happens if you get pg on the first cycle? I looked into my original clinic's guarantee program, but aged out due to needing surgery before cycling. Take care and welcome, Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on June 25th, 2011, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 24th, 2011, 7:34 pm #3

Dear Maggie:

Thanks for the quick response. DH and I are also from VA.

As of last week, the RBA egg bank has about 5-7 asian donors, so this is one of the top reasons that we're considering RBA over SG.

We don't know much about CNY nor have we even thought of doing a fresh cycle overseas. What do you know about CNY? And, what agencies/fertility clinics would you recommend overseas?

Sorry, I've got LOTS of questions

Piper
Piper

June 24th, 2011, 7:39 pm #4

Who thinks a guarantee program is a mistake, if you qualify, and that can be a big if. These are all frozen egg cycles? Have you been able to find out how many SE Asian donor eggs they have banked? Depending on what's covered, $7300 a shot is about what you would pay for a fresh cycle overseas, and my understanding is that RBA's frozen egg cycles have success rates comparable to fresh. So, yeah, I've always thought $16,500 for a frozen egg cycle was not reasonable when you can get a fresh whole cycle at CNY for $11K+meds, but that sounds a little more thrifty, especially if you get money back with no success. What happens if you get pg on the first cycle? I looked into my original clinic's guarantee program, but aged out due to needing surgery before cycling. Take care and welcome, Maggie (in VA)
RBA's frozen egg success rate (for their donor pool) is higher than most clinics' fresh rate.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 24th, 2011, 8:48 pm #5

Dear Maggie:

Thanks for the quick response. DH and I are also from VA.

As of last week, the RBA egg bank has about 5-7 asian donors, so this is one of the top reasons that we're considering RBA over SG.

We don't know much about CNY nor have we even thought of doing a fresh cycle overseas. What do you know about CNY? And, what agencies/fertility clinics would you recommend overseas?

Sorry, I've got LOTS of questions
No asian donors at CNY right now.

June 24th, 2011, 9:02 pm #6

Hi.

I'm a newbie to DE.

After lurking on this site for many months, DH (Caucasian) and I (Asian/Vietnamese) have finally decided to take the plunge into DE and are strongly considering the egg bank at RBA due to their donor pool and high success rates.

Anyone know how many cycles/donors most people typically take, before they are successful? After 3 years of TTC and 2 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, we really want peace of mind and are weighing the newly offered guarantee program ($36,500 for 5 donor cycles) versus the standard program ($16,500 for 1 donor cycle) at RBA.

I was hoping to consider RBA since we have had such a difficult time finding a suitable donor, and I thought that the combo of the quality of their program, cost, and verified donors was worth considering. I just talked to them this morning.

They only have 60 donors now, and the coordinator said, due to confidentiality, they do not allow you to see anything about their donors until you are a patient. I am not sure what you need to do to become a patient, but I am sure there is some cost.

For 60 donors, I didn't think it was worth bothering, since we have probably looked at 35+ agencies and hundreds of donors and have had a real hard time finding a match - although, granted, timing is part of the problem and that is not a factor with RBA.

I am not sure about the guarantee program, but it does not sound too bad for RBA. To me, for fresh de programs, the guarantee does not make as much sense since we are spending as much on the donor as the clinic...if they could reimburse for the donor, then it might make sense!

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 24th, 2011, 9:21 pm #7

Maybe this has changed, but that was a non-starter for us.

June 24th, 2011, 9:30 pm #8

RBA's frozen egg success rate (for their donor pool) is higher than most clinics' fresh rate.
Have you used the egg bank at RBA? If so, any idea how many donors/cycles the average person takes, before they are successful?

Thanks!

Leigh888
Leigh888

June 24th, 2011, 10:14 pm #9

Hi.

I'm a newbie to DE.

I chose to travel out of state for an all inclusive guarantee program. Had I cycled at my clinic in Chicago, insurance would have paid for all the medical costs. Non medical costs were going to be about $12K with no guarantee. I chose to pay $29,000 for an all inclusive guarantee instead. So to me, the guarantee was worth quite a bit of extra money. My first cycle did not work so I am happy I went with the guarantee.

June 24th, 2011, 10:30 pm #10

I'm so glad things worked out for you. Do you mind if I ask how many donors/cycles it took you, and were you at RBA or SG or somewhere else?