Random thought... why isn't it called egg adoption

Random thought... why isn't it called egg adoption

Lauren
Lauren

February 22nd, 2011, 10:43 pm #1

Just a thought.. if its a baby, its adoption, embryo it's adoption. So why isn't it egg adoption?

February 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm #2

Emotionally for me NOW there are undertones of adoption but logically, I know it was a donation.

Also, can you imagine adopting 30,000,0000 sperm at one time?
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on February 22nd, 2011, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 22nd, 2011, 10:51 pm #3

Just a thought.. if its a baby, its adoption, embryo it's adoption. So why isn't it egg adoption?
because it is unfertilized, so it is just a cell. That would be my guess.

Lauren
Lauren

February 22nd, 2011, 10:53 pm #4

Emotionally for me NOW there are undertones of adoption but logically, I know it was a donation.

Anyone know why its different or the discrepancy of wording? We dont donate babies ya know?

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 22nd, 2011, 10:54 pm #5

because it is unfertilized, so it is just a cell. That would be my guess.
Just seems like such a tiny difference, fertilized or not, still essence of life and is from another human

February 22nd, 2011, 11:02 pm #6

Anyone know why its different or the discrepancy of wording? We dont donate babies ya know?
Most embryos are destined to NOT become babies. Of the five I was donated, two are with their nanny now. The other three did not become babies. What if I had "adopted" only the three that did not become babies? The result of an adoption is a child, not the hope that maybe you will have one (and knowledge that again, maybe you won't).

H40+
H40+

February 22nd, 2011, 11:11 pm #7

Just seems like such a tiny difference, fertilized or not, still essence of life and is from another human
It may be the "essence of life" and is from another human, but the cell would never become a human being if the intended parents did not provide the male factor and the mother (or surrogate) to carry it to term.
Blood, a heart, a liver, or other organ is essential for life, but they don't call organ or blood donation, organ or blood adoption.

Piper
Piper

February 22nd, 2011, 11:32 pm #8

The legislation that was passed in GA is called embryo "adoption" but the term is not recognized by ASRM (American Society of Reproductive Medicine) or used by any infertility clinics or professionals in the state.

The legislation began it's life as a "personhood" bill- one that would give the same rights to a microscopic fertilized egg as it would give top an already born child. Essentially this would redefine how we categorize life (as well as death) This is an extreme viewpoint put forth by pro-life activists in the hopes of overturning Roe v. Wade. These same people also want to make IVF illegal.

So in GA this was one of many, many chances to pass a pro-life personhood law. BUT, the legislation was rewritten by the infertility community to take out anything that might grant rights to embryo- what was left was an amendment to adoption statute that would allow someone who was carrying a pregnancy from donated embryos to file a petition for a legal adoption by the courts.

Keep in mind--THIS IS COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY! And thus far not one single person has done so.

Unfortunately this was one of six pieces of anti- ART legislation in GA that year and the community could not get the "adoption" term removed. Finally, late that year ASRM released their official position paper on the use of the term "embryo adoption" and the official position was that the governing body and none of the roughly 500 reproductive endocrinologists or any of the attorneys or therapists recognize the term.

The patient organizations follow the same rule.

So it is called embryo donation in GA as well.

The reason why someone might want to file for an official adoption for a child born through the use of donated embryos is to protect your family. Keep in mind the laws are changing rapidly in this area and you should never, ever rely on a clinic contract. Always use an ART attorney.

February 23rd, 2011, 12:00 am #9

If you don't "adopt" sperm, you don't "adopt" eggs! And I don't believe in "embryo adoption" either... some pro-lifers would like to call it that, but I know from experience that very few embryos ever make it to implantation and pregnancy, let alone a live baby... unless there's a baby involved, I wouldn't call anything an "adoption."

Maya

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 23rd, 2011, 12:23 am #10

but an egg transplant. If my eggs aren't working then I need someone else's egg transplanted in me.