Quick question. I'm B+, dh is O-, will a B- donor work? We're no tell.

Quick question. I'm B+, dh is O-, will a B- donor work? We're no tell.

K
K

May 1st, 2011, 3:29 pm #1

I know after reading here yesterday that we need a b or o, but does neg or pos matter???sorry to bombard with all these questions! Thanks for all your help!

May 1st, 2011, 4:03 pm #2

Good luck

eta Go here to compare results of your blood type with DH vs donor.http://www.etoolsage.com/Calculator/Blo ... 2B&Rh2=Rh-
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on May 1st, 2011, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Kim

May 1st, 2011, 4:25 pm #3

Oh thank you!!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 1st, 2011, 4:39 pm #4

I know after reading here yesterday that we need a b or o, but does neg or pos matter???sorry to bombard with all these questions! Thanks for all your help!
The problem is when an Rh - mother is carrying an Rh + child. If your Rh is positive than it's not a problem, however, if you're DH is negative and/or the donor is negative, you're child can be negative. If you have a daughter with Rh- and she marries a man with Rh+ and conceives an Rh+ baby, she'll have the following issues arise when she has a child---

The babies Rh + can cross the placenta during certain times like birth, during aminos, etc. The mother's body sees the Rh+ as being a foreign body (like bacteria) so it sends out the troops (white blood cells) to fight off the invader which causes an antigen-antibody reaction. When this happens, they also reach the baby. It's the baby that is at risk. It causes Erythroblastosis Fetalis which is destruction of the red blood cells in the fetus/infant. It's treated by giving Rh- blood transfusion to the baby to stop the destruction then gradually replacing the babies blood back into the baby.

This isn't so much a problem during a 1st pregnancy. Treatment is giving RHOGAM (a shot)within 72 hrs from birth or after an amino, etc.

During a 2nd pregnancy or other following pregnancies, RHOGAM is giving at 28 wks of pregnancy and again within 72 hrs from birth or at the time of an amino, etc.

K
K

May 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm #5

So, I had a previous pregnancy many years ago w dh. I'm RH+ and we didn't have to get shots so he must be RH + too, right? ( can't remember what he was). Thanks so very much again for this info. Not sure what donor is though... But 2 RH+ probably cannot make a RH- right? Hoping she's RH+....

May 1st, 2011, 6:53 pm #6

and two RH+ people can produce an RH- child (but not the converse).

k
k

May 1st, 2011, 7:19 pm #7

THANK YOU again! nt