Questions about the Delestrogen and Progresterone Shots

Questions about the Delestrogen and Progresterone Shots

March 12th, 2012, 7:48 pm #1

Hi, again.

So our nurse got mixed up and thought that we already knew how to do the intramuscular shots. We don't; never got to the IVF stage with OE. So now we need to start delestrogen shots over the weekend, and we have not been trained. My DH is unwilling to administer the shots to me without being trained in person by a professional. He's terrified and refuses to rely on a video to show him what to do.

The problem is that our clinic is an hour away, and only class they could "squeeze" us into at this late date is in late morning, and he is in a very bad place with work stress this week. I can't even bring myself to call him to tell him that he's going to have to take a half-day off to get this training.

So my question is: based on your experience and the experience of whoever administered the shots to you, what is your take on training for it? Did you take a training? Do you think it was necessary? Is it useless? Somewhere in between?

Stress and overwhelm are a huge, ongoing struggle for him in general, and he's in a very dark place this week. If you all come back and say it's a lot easier than it looks, I may try to convince him to forego the training. ...But be honest, don't just tell me what I want to hear!

Thanks, as always!

March 12th, 2012, 8:04 pm #2

I practiced on an orange and watched 2 you tube videos SEVERAL times.I was not "trained" by anyone.

I always did my own shots. My advice: PLACEMENT-divide each butt cheeck into a clockface, looking straight on and give yourself the shot ONLY between 12 and 3 positions and not the other quadrants. It may seem high and outside but it really is the correct place.

Alternate sides each day so you don't get sore.

Use a hot washcloth each time to press on the injection site to help move the oil along.

REMEMBER- you only feel the first 1/4 inch of the needle. Look at 1/4 inch on a ruler. Nerve-wise that is all you feel so don't get psyched out by the size of a 1 1/2 inch needle and think, oh wow that will hurt.

Watch the videos and if you feel unsure YOU go get trained and then you can do it yourself or walk you DH through it step by step.You can do it, really.
Good Luck

March 12th, 2012, 9:17 pm #3

Hi, again.

So our nurse got mixed up and thought that we already knew how to do the intramuscular shots. We don't; never got to the IVF stage with OE. So now we need to start delestrogen shots over the weekend, and we have not been trained. My DH is unwilling to administer the shots to me without being trained in person by a professional. He's terrified and refuses to rely on a video to show him what to do.

The problem is that our clinic is an hour away, and only class they could "squeeze" us into at this late date is in late morning, and he is in a very bad place with work stress this week. I can't even bring myself to call him to tell him that he's going to have to take a half-day off to get this training.

So my question is: based on your experience and the experience of whoever administered the shots to you, what is your take on training for it? Did you take a training? Do you think it was necessary? Is it useless? Somewhere in between?

Stress and overwhelm are a huge, ongoing struggle for him in general, and he's in a very dark place this week. If you all come back and say it's a lot easier than it looks, I may try to convince him to forego the training. ...But be honest, don't just tell me what I want to hear!

Thanks, as always!
But you know the special "training" is such a nothing...it didn't help me as much as youtube!

My dh hates it, but he does it (and the man runs a company and works 60 hours a week), so kill him with kindness and get him to do it. I would encourage you to simply do the ims yourself, but estrogen is thick and I find it a little more awkward to inject than progesterone. It will really help to have him do it.

Prep the needles yourself: use the big 18 gauge to draw up (don;t let it intimidate you, that needle is not the one going in) and then replace it with your 25 gauge -- give it to him.

It really is easy! Straight in, slowly, slowly pull in a teensy bit, make sure you see no blood, and then slowly inject. When he's done, pull it out slowly, and you press on the spot with a cotton pad.

Now, you massage the area.

And remember, the scary thing is the length of the needle, but oddly, once it goes in, you really just do not feel it, and when it's in there, and the meds are going in, it is surprisingly no big deal (except how challenging it can be to inject that slow moving estrogen oil).

Hardly any clinics even have workshops for this - most have a nurse give you a little demo which you forget about because the needles freak you out if you have never done it.

But you can do it and so can he!

March 12th, 2012, 9:22 pm #4

Hi, again.

Thanks, as always!
Really, it is easy! Check out youtube - you can do this!!

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

March 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm #5

Hi, again.

Thanks, as always!
Google it and you will find videos. No need to reaarange schedule foe class. Village fertility Pharmacy has good videos. Good luck.

March 12th, 2012, 10:34 pm #6

Hi, again.

Thanks, as always!
Thanks for all your reassuring posts! It feels much less daunting now. I didn't even know it was possible to administer the shots yourself. I looked at the video on my clinic's web site and the angle looked impossible for self-administering, but I guess it's not!

And thanks for the reassurance about the discomfort. I admit my face paled a little when I saw those long, thick needles! My pain threshold for this kind of thing is OK, so I'm not too worried, but it definitely doesn't look fun!

I will bring up the topic with my DH; maybe he'll be OK without the training.

Thanks so much, everyone!

March 12th, 2012, 11:29 pm #7

Hi, again.

Thanks, as always!
We were never trained and now my husband can do them and I do them myself as I travel a ton. The first thing I will say, for me this is no big deal. I was terrified of IM injections mostly because of the stuff I read in user groups online. Once I got over the fear -- it has been easy. Whether he does them, I train a random friend or I do them, we've never had a problem. My first cycle we iced the area for just a minute and then used heat afterwards. Then I honestly got tired of doing that, so, now no ice and heat only when I am home and it is convenient -- no worries if I am not but I will massage the area a couple minutes until I get bored if I don't have heat.

The biggest thing I recommend is have someone draw you circle targets so there is no guess work where to put the needles. Then giving the shots is easy and the procedure gets easier the more you do it. Honestly, minute clinics can help show you how, as can any nurse at your GP's office etc. I'd call and explain the situation and if you are concerned about getting trained, have them help.

My secret combination: I prep all the shots myself (I'm a control freak and want to know the right amount of med is getting into me). Then, if hubby does the shot I lay down and turn in the toe of the leg he's going to inject the buttock of... that helps to ensure you relax the muscle rather than tensing it. If you prefer to stand transfer the weight to the non-shot leg. If you give the shots yourself, I prefer sitting on the edge of the bed and being able to contort to see my rump. When I told my nurses I was going to do them myself they all acted like I was really brave or maybe crazy -- it was really easy to do. I take a few deep breaths and my signal with hubby is he can do the shot as I exhale -- usually on my second or third breath. I have little pain from the shots. Sometimes none sometimes some pinching. Its worst when they are nervous and move slow or move it around. Just suck it up and say he's doing great... it gets easier and better. The only pain I have is the general soreness -- similar to after a flu shot but not as pronounced -- but it is your rump so you'll feel it as you get a couple weeks into the shots.

Sometimes I pull out the needle and nothing happens... sometimes it is a blood gushing mess. Just have a tissue/bandaid/handy to catch it and don't be scared if you bleed.

I'm sure many of us would be happy to give you more support if you need it... just ping. You might even live through someone on the board who could help the first time.

Good luck!

March 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm #8

Hi, again.

Thanks, as always!
the shady grove website has a full video from site selection through injection. they are accessible whether you are their patient or not. if you have trouble finding them... let me know. but also, if you go to youtube -- don't get freaked by some of the drama on there. you have a bunch of women on here saying it isn't that bad... trust us!

March 13th, 2012, 11:31 am #9

Thanks for all your reassuring posts! It feels much less daunting now. I didn't even know it was possible to administer the shots yourself. I looked at the video on my clinic's web site and the angle looked impossible for self-administering, but I guess it's not!

And thanks for the reassurance about the discomfort. I admit my face paled a little when I saw those long, thick needles! My pain threshold for this kind of thing is OK, so I'm not too worried, but it definitely doesn't look fun!

I will bring up the topic with my DH; maybe he'll be OK without the training.

Thanks so much, everyone!
I was TERRIFIED of my first shot. It was an IM HCG shot way back when I was first TTC with clomid and IUI. I was so scared. I iced and iced my backside and rubbed EMLA cream on it and, knees shaking, finally pushed the needle in...and felt absolutely nothing. Next HCG shot, I was in a public restroom when it was time for the shot and I had no ice and no EMLA...and it was STILL pretty much painless. Now granted those PIO shots can hurt a bit (the estrogen is too long ago for me to remember - over 4 yrs since I did the injectable) but it still is very easy. I am a massive weenie and still managed so bet you guys won't have a problem either.

Katie Robins
Katie Robins

March 13th, 2012, 2:20 pm #10

Hi, again.

Thanks, as always!
My husband is a big tough river guide, rock climbing guide, etc..and he is terrified of needles. Through 2 rounds of IVF, the last one being a DE transfer, he couldn't do any of the shots. I had to respect his fear, and so I enlisted the help of my girlfriends. My next door neighbor happens to be an ER nurse, so she did it whenever she could, but literally, I had probably 10 girlfriends that were available to do the shots throughout the 10 week period post-transfer. If you DH is going to be terrified, think about other options. I feel like everyone played a part in my getting pregnant!