Questions about Cooper DE program

Questions about Cooper DE program

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 5th, 2012, 1:03 am #1

Hi Ladies,
I have been posting on High FSH for a while and was ready to stop all treatment after failing my 4th IVF with OE. I had a call back with Check yesterday and he mentioned the DE program and that I could share a cycle with a donor who needs IVF herself with my insurance pretty much paying the bill(I am in a mandate state who will cover DE under age 40. I will be 39 next month). DH and I cannot afford DE using an DE agency due to the OOP costs that my insurance would not cover. It sounds like this may be a good option for us but I have lots of questions/concerns/reservations:
1) what is the average age of the donors who are keeping 1/2 the eggs? I don't think I'd be comfortable with an older donor due to the increased chance that it wouldn't work due to age-related egg quality issues or chromosomal issues. Are there 20 somethings who are donating half their eggs or is that not very realistic to hope for with this program?
2) what are the odds of me getting matched with a donor that resembles me? I am an Irish/English red-head! I know I'd have to compromise and probably won't find the perfect physical match but I still want someone who is somewhat similar. I don't think I could stand waiting around for 6 months plus to do this. I need to get on with my life if I am going to be childless- I can't take being in limbo anymore. Should I just get on the list and see who is there?

Thanks in advance.

Denise
Denise

July 5th, 2012, 4:28 am #2

I am unsure of Cooper, but sounds great. Also check out CNY in Syracuse NY they have several redhead and Auburn donors and a fresh cycle is $6,000 and they did "wonders" with my insurance:)

SMRC
SMRC

July 5th, 2012, 11:50 am #3

Hi Ladies,
I have been posting on High FSH for a while and was ready to stop all treatment after failing my 4th IVF with OE. I had a call back with Check yesterday and he mentioned the DE program and that I could share a cycle with a donor who needs IVF herself with my insurance pretty much paying the bill(I am in a mandate state who will cover DE under age 40. I will be 39 next month). DH and I cannot afford DE using an DE agency due to the OOP costs that my insurance would not cover. It sounds like this may be a good option for us but I have lots of questions/concerns/reservations:
1) what is the average age of the donors who are keeping 1/2 the eggs? I don't think I'd be comfortable with an older donor due to the increased chance that it wouldn't work due to age-related egg quality issues or chromosomal issues. Are there 20 somethings who are donating half their eggs or is that not very realistic to hope for with this program?
2) what are the odds of me getting matched with a donor that resembles me? I am an Irish/English red-head! I know I'd have to compromise and probably won't find the perfect physical match but I still want someone who is somewhat similar. I don't think I could stand waiting around for 6 months plus to do this. I need to get on with my life if I am going to be childless- I can't take being in limbo anymore. Should I just get on the list and see who is there?

Thanks in advance.
This sounds like potentially a good option. Can you start by speaking to the DE coordinator at C.ooper? Unfortunately I forget her name, although I believe it was someone new as of Jan. If you call the front desk, they should be able to put you through. It does not seem like you have too much to lose by getting yourself on the list (my guess is you have already satisfied any prerequisites such as infectious disease panels, etc. based on your recent IVF) and continuing to explore things - you can always decline any options they present to you and you just never know... there may be an Irish redhead getting ready to cycle right now... Let us know what you find out.

sugar
sugar

July 5th, 2012, 12:35 pm #4

Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance.
If you would like to know more about the shared donor program contact Carrie Wilson the DE coordinator at Cooper. I do not have her number with me now but it is on the website. I am currently in a DE cycle with them now and I have been very pleased thus far. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the shared program but what you will want to do ASAP is get on the DE recipient list as recipients are matched by priority. I was on it for a year while I continued to cycle with my OE's. When I was finally ready to make a selection I was matched right away. Carrie is great - just know that she is practically running the show there by herself. It may take a couple of days or so but she will always get back to you. If I am able I will be glad to answer any more questions that you might have.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

July 5th, 2012, 1:35 pm #5

Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance.
Hi Mrs. McIrish,

I am not a Cooper patient but wanted to add a few thoughts. Since you have mandated coverage for DE IVF, why not either do one of two things

1) Consider doing the regular Cooper DE program and get the fresh eggs of a regular donor with no known fertility issues. I just worry about cycling with someone that too has their own fertility issues. Of course, there is a difference between infertility that arises from bad tubes or sperm issues and other types of infertility, but who knows for sure sometimes why some have difficulty conceiving. With a regular DE program you have more choice as to their looks and genetic make-up of the donor as well as the ability to pick a proven donor if you so desire. Cooper also has a donor embryo program too that is a great price and I think you can get on the list to receive the information if you are already a Cooper patient.

2) Look into other programs such as RBA which is where I am cycling now. Reasonable DE costs of $16,500 plus travel expenses to Atlanta for 1 cycle and a guarantee of the transfer of two high quality embryos or a free cycle. Their success rates for a live birth are between 67-70%. I don't have insurance coverage but when I was reading their materials I think that I read that out of the costs associated with a single cycle, about $13,000 was specifically attributed to the donor cycle as far as insurance but you can call them and check. There are some recent threads about them wherein many of us explain how things work there...the pros and cons. They use frozen donor eggs and as such, no real wait time on a donor or synching up your schedule with a donor. Stats not reported on SART because SART does not report frozen donor egg cycles. It doesn't have to be RBA but take a look at the SART reports and look at some of the top clinics and see how much your insurance would cover. I can't help but think that you can do better than a shared cycle with someone going through IVF herself since you have coverage. As always, JMHO and good luck!!

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 5th, 2012, 2:14 pm #6

Thanks for your comments. We have a financial issue in that I am losing my job at the end of the year and am the primary breadwinner. We can't spend $13K etc right now with this situation. That is why I was looking at this program. I am 99% sure that my insurance won't pay for a RBA/frozen egg bank cycle.

July 5th, 2012, 2:14 pm #7

Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance.
A board bud and I used to hash out our thoughts on shared cycles and sort of came to the conclusion that the circumstances under which we would consider one were so narrow it would be very unlikely to ever happen. Added to that the improbability of getting a donor who resembled you, and I can't imagine not wanting to explore other options.

Other ladies have mentioned the same ones I would have; great that you live in a mandate state! You have several options other than using an agency, as pp's detail. You may not have the selection that you would with an agency, but certainly more than a random fertility patient who is willing to share her eggs. Was the thought on doing shared just to stay with Cooper? Anyway, yeah, if you have coverage to age 40 and you just turned 39, I would chop-chop. I wish you well; you have a ways to go before you decide you will live childless.

{{Hugs}}

Maggie (in VA)

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

July 5th, 2012, 2:20 pm #8

Thanks for your comments. We have a financial issue in that I am losing my job at the end of the year and am the primary breadwinner. We can't spend $13K etc right now with this situation. That is why I was looking at this program. I am 99% sure that my insurance won't pay for a RBA/frozen egg bank cycle.
Take a look at the SART stats for some clinics..or stay with Cooper which has a good DE program, I just would look at a regular DE program there if you can swing it. I know that some carriers will not pay for a frozen egg cycle. I know that when I had insurance for my OE cycles, I did not have to pay out of pocket first. I only had to pay for my co-pay. Hopefully this is the case with you and you can find a clinic that you do not have to put the money up front first.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 5th, 2012, 2:42 pm #9

Maybe I can talk DH into a shared cycle with a paid donor at Cooper. It looks like the donor fee is about $5K(per these boards but maybe higher now. But half is doable for us.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

July 5th, 2012, 3:21 pm #10

A board bud and I used to hash out our thoughts on shared cycles and sort of came to the conclusion that the circumstances under which we would consider one were so narrow it would be very unlikely to ever happen. Added to that the improbability of getting a donor who resembled you, and I can't imagine not wanting to explore other options.

Other ladies have mentioned the same ones I would have; great that you live in a mandate state! You have several options other than using an agency, as pp's detail. You may not have the selection that you would with an agency, but certainly more than a random fertility patient who is willing to share her eggs. Was the thought on doing shared just to stay with Cooper? Anyway, yeah, if you have coverage to age 40 and you just turned 39, I would chop-chop. I wish you well; you have a ways to go before you decide you will live childless.

{{Hugs}}

Maggie (in VA)
Unfortunately I am limited by financial resources and just trying to come up with a possible solution within those parameters. I know I can't get everything I may want with these limitations. But perhaps "less than ideal" it is better than no baby at all?