Question re: Attlanta RBA

Question re: Attlanta RBA

June 29th, 2012, 8:19 pm #1

I have been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. In a nutshell, after sevral failed Clomid (6) and HCG (2) cycles, and a crappy Clomid challenge I have been told I have

June 29th, 2012, 8:20 pm #2

I have been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. In a nutshell, after sevral failed Clomid (6) and HCG (2) cycles, and a crappy Clomid challenge I have been told I have

June 29th, 2012, 8:22 pm #3

Anyone knows why only 2 lines of my message post? I can't figure it out...

June 29th, 2012, 8:52 pm #4

It is some silly programming thing that cuts the posts off. Use the words less than instead.

June 30th, 2012, 6:11 am #5

Ah, I've been here for years and didn't know this! Thanks. nt

June 30th, 2012, 4:59 pm #6

Thanks for tip - it solved the problem!
Here is the full post:
I have been reading this board for a while but this is my first post. In a nutshell, after several failed Clomid (6) and HCG (2) cycles, and a crappy Clomid challenge I have been told I have less than % chance to conceive with my own eggs (I am almost 41). So, after much heartache, we are looking at using frozen donor eggs. My RE referred me to RBA and I have an appt in mid July. It seems from the board that many of you have good things to say about the place, which is comforting. I was wondering however, about the timeline I should expect: I was told to wait before having many of the preliminary tests they list, since, they may taylor them to the patient (and because my insurance will pay for almost nothing related to infertility, I want to be careful about money). Because I have to travel to Atlanta, my RE told me she can do most of the preliminary testing and ultrasound, so I would have to be out of town as little as possible. Should I expect the cycle for the DE to be similar to what I have done before with HCG injections twice a day? How much time would I have to stay in Atlanta? Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of being a stay-at-home person, and my work schedule is crazy (including several international trips between now and the end of the year), so I am trying to figure out as much as possible ahead of time.... Thanks to all for any input...

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 30th, 2012, 6:19 pm #7

Hi,

First of all, do not wait to have the tests. They encourage people to get as many done as soon as possible. Certain things like an SHG/SIS, Mammogram and pap as well as the psych consult and your partners's SA are big things that you can get done now. You will not be able to gain access into the donor base until all requirements are completed. I had almost everything done by the time I had my consult and I had many more things that were required because I am 45. I only had to complete a few more blood tests for me and my DH and the Dr. was very happy about that. They might order RPL or a thrombophilia blood clotting panel of tests for you. Your Dr. might also suggest a endometrial scratch biopsy. That being said, additional testing should not prevent you from getting out the way all that you can now.

I am an out of town patient. I had my scratch endometrial biopsy (optional in most cases) done by my Dr here and will be monitored here by my Dr. The monitoring is minimal. They only require one lining check during the cycle if all looks well. Betas and post pregnancy tests and such can all be done here. When you go to RBA for your "Thaw date" they also set you up as an out of town patient to do your mock transfer then and meet with your physician on the same date. How long you will have to be in Atlanta depends upon whether you ship frozen sperm in advance and whether you have a three or five day transfer. We are using my husbands fresh sample so I have to be there for 6-7 days. If you give a sample in advance, you only have to be there the day before a possible day 3 transfer. You will not know whether it will be a 3 or 5 day transfer until Day 3 so you have to plan on staying until at least day 5. Most seem to have Day 5 transfers but some do have a day 3 transfer. So, if you are pressed for time, ship frozen and go down for one day in advance to meet with your Dr and have a mock transfer/sounding. BTW..what is an HSG cycle? Do you mean a cycle with stims?

FYI, you might want to check out this link which has a huge RBA thread. If you study it, you will learn a lot about how things work there. Good luck.

http://www.fertilethoughts.com/forums/d ... egg-sperm/

July 1st, 2012, 1:09 am #8

Thanks, this is all very helpful! I am quite stressed out about it all, and the more I can learn the better I feel.
About the HCG - I did two cycles of daily (the first time) or twice a day (the second time) HMG injections, with HCG trigger shots, the second with IUI; both times I only produced two pitiful follicles.