question about whether donor is proven or not

question about whether donor is proven or not

Dee
Dee

June 7th, 2012, 5:55 pm #1

I told my clinic I wanted a proven donor. They said they chose a donor for me that is 29, has 2 children already so they consider that proven.

I am concerned because the IVF process is so different from getting pregnant naturally. This donor has no previous cycles that we can see the results from. We have no idea how many eggs she can produce from stimming.

I wanted to get thoughts on this.

DeeNYC
DeeNYC

June 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm #2

Many do not consider someone that has had children to be a "proven" donor. Having a child naturally and stimming are two different things. You have no idea not only how she will stim, but of the quality of her eggs once stims have been added to the mix. That being said, I think having two kids of her own is a good thing. You just never know though.

Dee
Dee

June 7th, 2012, 6:05 pm #3

I told my clinic I wanted a proven donor. They said they chose a donor for me that is 29, has 2 children already so they consider that proven.

I am concerned because the IVF process is so different from getting pregnant naturally. This donor has no previous cycles that we can see the results from. We have no idea how many eggs she can produce from stimming.

The clinic told me more details about her, but did not give me her FSH levels. I have no idea what her FSH is!

Dee
Dee

June 7th, 2012, 6:09 pm #4

Many do not consider someone that has had children to be a "proven" donor. Having a child naturally and stimming are two different things. You have no idea not only how she will stim, but of the quality of her eggs once stims have been added to the mix. That being said, I think having two kids of her own is a good thing. You just never know though.
I was leaning toward having a donor that had already achieved a live birth from pregnancy (either her own children or when she donated to someone). So that is a good thing, but I need to know what her FSH is. She is 29.

I actually considered donating my own eggs when I was about 31 but figured I was a little too old by then. I started having perimenopause symptoms at 34.

I wonder if anyone else had success with donor age 29 or older.

If this cycle does not work, our next cycle with the clinic will be free.

June 7th, 2012, 6:38 pm #5

so yes, definitely! She was proven only in the sense of having two children also.
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on June 7th, 2012, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LizLA
LizLA

June 7th, 2012, 7:31 pm #6

live birth.

Also, even if the donor has children you never know how she will react to medication.

GL

Dee
Dee

June 7th, 2012, 7:49 pm #7

so yes, definitely! She was proven only in the sense of having two children also.
7 live births from that one cycle? That is amazing.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

June 7th, 2012, 8:27 pm #8

Second family had two. And I had two. I think it is amazing also! They actually thawed all the final five for my cycle but I do not think refroze the ones not used. Kinda sad at that.

June 7th, 2012, 8:36 pm #9

Because there seems to be a different opinion on what "proven" means, then maybe you could tell your agency specifically what you are looking for. If you want someone who has donated previously and that donation led to a live birth, then that is your criteria. I would think they can obtain that info, especially if the donor worked with them previously.

Dee
Dee

June 7th, 2012, 8:40 pm #10

Second family had two. And I had two. I think it is amazing also! They actually thawed all the final five for my cycle but I do not think refroze the ones not used. Kinda sad at that.
I see that it could probably work, but I am baffled as to why they would not do an FSH test. I thought all donors had their FSH levels tested.