Question about SCSA DNA fragmentation test - bad result

Question about SCSA DNA fragmentation test - bad result

SMRC
SMRC

May 27th, 2011, 4:15 pm #1

Hi to all - I am new to this board and am transitioning over from the over 40 board as my DH and I slowly inch towards trying DE at Cornell. I am currently a patient of Dr. Check. My DH recently got the results back of the SCSA/ DNA Fragmentation test, which results were TERRIBLE. 34.9%. My question to you all is whether any of you would move forward with DE with fragmentation at this level. I am now considering OE and DS, as a possible alternative/side-by-side option. DS/DE is not something I want to consider.

Thanks in advance!

zaytune
zaytune

May 27th, 2011, 4:34 pm #2

Welcome to the board . Have you had previous cycles ? What have been your issues besides this test result .

Ariadne
Ariadne

May 27th, 2011, 4:37 pm #3

Hi to all - I am new to this board and am transitioning over from the over 40 board as my DH and I slowly inch towards trying DE at Cornell. I am currently a patient of Dr. Check. My DH recently got the results back of the SCSA/ DNA Fragmentation test, which results were TERRIBLE. 34.9%. My question to you all is whether any of you would move forward with DE with fragmentation at this level. I am now considering OE and DS, as a possible alternative/side-by-side option. DS/DE is not something I want to consider.

Thanks in advance!
I would have your dh try the antioxidant protocol for 3 months & re-test. I wouldn't cycle or make any decision until then, as that protocol has helped some of the men. I know 3 months seems like a long time, but if it works, you've eliminated the need to make what is a major decision re. donor sperm, cycle costs, etc.

The are several variations, but here is the one Kacee's dh used, which I saved, & it did work for him.

500mg of Vitamin C 2x/day

400mg of Vitamin E 2x/day

Pycnogenol 100mg 2x/day

Proxeed 2x/day

You can get Proxeed from Freedom Drug, & Pycnogenal from a health food or supplement store.

SMRC
SMRC

May 27th, 2011, 4:38 pm #4

Welcome to the board . Have you had previous cycles ? What have been your issues besides this test result .
thanks for responding. I have had no previous DE cycles. We have had 4 OE IVF cycles- we made it to transfer once; the other 3 times we had no fertilization, or the fertilized eggs arrested. I have DOR so we only had 1 or 2 eggs retrieved each time. Based on our poor history, I'm of course very concerned. SMRC

SMRC
SMRC

May 27th, 2011, 4:41 pm #5

I would have your dh try the antioxidant protocol for 3 months & re-test. I wouldn't cycle or make any decision until then, as that protocol has helped some of the men. I know 3 months seems like a long time, but if it works, you've eliminated the need to make what is a major decision re. donor sperm, cycle costs, etc.

The are several variations, but here is the one Kacee's dh used, which I saved, & it did work for him.

500mg of Vitamin C 2x/day

400mg of Vitamin E 2x/day

Pycnogenol 100mg 2x/day

Proxeed 2x/day

You can get Proxeed from Freedom Drug, & Pycnogenal from a health food or supplement store.
My DH is currently on FertilAid (1 month in) but I don't believe it has all of these vitamins/supplements. I will check further into this and the 3 month regimen seems like a good idea (and could coincide with when we come up on the DE list in any case). I have also been reading that GSH (Glutathione) can help, so would be interested what anyone has to say about GSH as well. Thanks so much.

Ariadne
Ariadne

May 27th, 2011, 4:46 pm #6

Here is a recent thread with more info. on it. TESE is an option. There are some great threads with a lot of info. in them. I'm not a huge fan of network 54's limited search function, but in this case, it works well b/c of the unique terminology. Try a date search for fragmentation or TESE & you will find a lot of threads.

I can't comment more on vitamins & antioxidants issue b/c we ultimately didn't have a fragmentation problem. I started searching for answers with our 1st failed cycle & had dh start on Kacee's suggested protocol, though, before getting our results back.

JMHO, but I think sperm dna fragmentation is an important issue to deal with, but it's definitely NOT hopeless in terms of fixes.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/me ... ragmented-

zaytune
zaytune

May 27th, 2011, 4:47 pm #7

thanks for responding. I have had no previous DE cycles. We have had 4 OE IVF cycles- we made it to transfer once; the other 3 times we had no fertilization, or the fertilized eggs arrested. I have DOR so we only had 1 or 2 eggs retrieved each time. Based on our poor history, I'm of course very concerned. SMRC
SMRC , we have never had male factor issues . So I do not think I am in anyway qualified to an opinion in this matter . Yet I have been on this other boards for a long time ( 6 OE cycles) . My feeling is that poor sperm quality is much more manageable with ICSI/IMSI vs poor egg quality . Like the other poster I have also seen success stories with improvement in sperm quality with supplements . In your position I would probably go to a lab with excellent ICSI/IMSI and do the supplements and use donor egg . Good luck .

Adrah
Adrah

May 27th, 2011, 5:49 pm #8

Thanks in advance!
Hi, my DH had the same results on the DNA frag results. Horrible numbers. Our RE had him take fertility blend for 3 months prior to our DE cycle. Our donor produced 14 eggs and all 14 of them fertilized. 6 of them went to blast and we ended up with twins. I really believe the supplements made a huge difference, plus young eggs.
We didn't have the DNA frag test for my OE cycle. I guess the RE assumed the problem was mine with old eggs boo. I have no regrets though in the long run.

I would ask the RE what he/she recommends.

http://www.fertilityblend.com/e

GL!!!

LizLA
LizLA

May 27th, 2011, 7:20 pm #9

Proxeed was the key for us.

GL

May 27th, 2011, 9:45 pm #10

Thanks in advance!
You should know that ICSI will not overcome sperm DNA fragmentation problems, as the sperm with bad DNA chains cannot be seen under a microscope! I dont know why REs suggest this as a "fix". TESE is an option, as it gathers sperm before they are thought to be damaged, and do try the supplement regime as it may help and cant hurt!

Its a shame they dont push the DNA Frag test more when IF problems arise!

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges