question about saline sonogram

question about saline sonogram

Dee
Dee

September 7th, 2011, 4:58 pm #1

I plan to have a saline sonogram in September. In November, I am doing a FET cycle.

I am paranoid that some of the saline might remain in my uterus and affect implantation, could that happen? Perhaps its a dumb question, but it is a concern of mine.

September 7th, 2011, 5:13 pm #2

I am sure the answer is that no, there is no concern but hysteroscopies are way cooler anyway since you can actually see the inside of your uterus. (like we do any of this for the cool factor, but still, I enjoyed that aspect of mine). I hope someone can give you an actual answer to your question though.

cotton
cotton

September 7th, 2011, 5:43 pm #3

I plan to have a saline sonogram in September. In November, I am doing a FET cycle.

I am paranoid that some of the saline might remain in my uterus and affect implantation, could that happen? Perhaps its a dumb question, but it is a concern of mine.
and fairly quickly too. it's water so it comes out easier than blood or other fluids. you'll be leaking a bit for a half a day or so. i'm fairly certain a saline sonogram can detect things that a hysteroscopy can't. i had saline sonograms before my successful cycles.

September 7th, 2011, 5:48 pm #4

and confirmed with hysteroscopy. When I had my cycle at SIRM, they used sonohysterogram only. In NM, hysteroscopy only. What does one show that the other does not?

bethphx
bethphx

September 7th, 2011, 7:01 pm #5

and was coming to post about it! I asked the same thing because I had a hysteroscopy last November before we started this whole process and all was clear. But since I had the loss last month at 5 wks he wanted just to double check before we do the FET next month. He said (in his opinion) a sonohyst has about 90-95% accuracy to detect abnormalities because you are relying on an ultrasound pic vs a hysteroscopy in which you are visualizing the actual tissue from the inside so clearer image. The sonohyst was less painful- just mild cramping vs the hysteroscopy which for me was severe cramping but only for 60second while the camera was in- but honestly they were both quick and easy. I made the mistake of going grocery shopping right after todays appt and was leaking water the whole time- kept getting these gushes and was hoping it wouldn't start running down my leg. Cramping stopped 20 minutes later and so did the water so I am sure your uterus just cramps to get it all out....

minniet
minniet

September 7th, 2011, 7:20 pm #6

Hi there:

I don't have any advice per se, but I can share what happened with me. I have had numerous OE cycles which resulted in chemicals and miscarriage before moving to DE. When we did DE, we had no implantation whatsoever.

At that time, I had had three hysterosalpingrams (saline sono), which showed a "small" fibroid.

I went to a new doctor, and he did a saline sono, and he was really torn, as he saw the fibroid, but thought it looked so small, it took him a long time to determine whether or not he wanted me to remove it. Finally, he said he wanted me to have it removed, which I did, this past Feb/March. Well -- when they went in with the hysteroscope while I was under anaesthesia, they found that the fibroid was much bigger than they thought (it was hidden), and they also found and removed a small septum.

I think this was a big part of my OE chemicals and miscarriage.

Anyway, I am thankful to have it removed before our next cycle, and hope it all works out.

This is not to scare you, as there is definitely no clear path for what to do about fibroids per se, but I do think it helps to have as many diagnostic tools at your disposal as possible.

September 7th, 2011, 7:38 pm #7

You were asking about interfering with implantation and I just totally did not address that. I think you will be fine regarding implantation.

cotton
cotton

September 7th, 2011, 7:51 pm #8

and confirmed with hysteroscopy. When I had my cycle at SIRM, they used sonohysterogram only. In NM, hysteroscopy only. What does one show that the other does not?
i could have it wrong. i just know that i did a DE cycle that ended in an early m/c. before the next cycle my RE ordered a saline sono. it showed that i had 2 polyps. he took them out and one of them was half polyp / half product of conception. which means one of my poor little embies tried to implant on the polyp. from then on i always had a saline sono before a cycle. not only does it detect issues, but it cleans you out which is never a bad thing. i got preg after the polyps were removed.

September 7th, 2011, 7:51 pm #9

But I agree with others, I don't think it could stay inside. Certainly it didn't for me. In any case, it is just saline solution. Your body would probably absorb it. I have sclerotherapy to get rid of spider veins, and they inject saline solution, and the body just absorbs it. Take care, Maggie (in VA)