Question about P4 level (BFP mentioned)

Question about P4 level (BFP mentioned)

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

August 7th, 2012, 5:44 pm #1

So, the very good news is that I had my beta yesterday, and it was positive! I'm cautiously celebrating, as I know I have a long way to go, but my HCG was at 238 on 9dp5dt.

The question I have is about my progesterone level, which was at 7.5. By accident, the lab sent my results to Dr. Check's office (even though I haven't worked with them since October), and the nurse there told me I should insist to be put on PIO shots (in addition to the Endometrin inserts I'm using 3x a day). My RE, however, told me everything was fine and I didn't need to take anything else. I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

I go back for follow-up b/w tomorrow.

Anon
Anon

August 7th, 2012, 6:17 pm #2

First...such great news and an excellent beta. Do not worry. You can increase the progesterone level very quickly.

I just had my levels checked yesterday on the day of transfer and my P4 was 10.8. My RE said fine.
I knew that Dr. Check liked Progesterone above 20 and then I did some more reading and the reading confirmed that many REs prefer over 20 or 30.
After reading, I also realized I was on a low dose of PIO (50 mg) so I self-medicated yet again and doubled the dose to increase the P4 level.

I asked to have my estrogen and progesterone checked during the 9 day wait but my RE does not require this.

So, in my opinion get on some progesterone in oil as soon as you can.

August 7th, 2012, 6:49 pm #3

So, the very good news is that I had my beta yesterday, and it was positive! I'm cautiously celebrating, as I know I have a long way to go, but my HCG was at 238 on 9dp5dt.

The question I have is about my progesterone level, which was at 7.5. By accident, the lab sent my results to Dr. Check's office (even though I haven't worked with them since October), and the nurse there told me I should insist to be put on PIO shots (in addition to the Endometrin inserts I'm using 3x a day). My RE, however, told me everything was fine and I didn't need to take anything else. I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

Congrats on your BFP! If you were getting your progesterone from PIO, I'd think your level is low. But my RE told me when you are using suppositories, the actual P4 level in your uterus is higher than what is showing up in your bloodwork, so I think you are fine.

August 7th, 2012, 7:54 pm #4

I used suppositories only in my last cycle and my levels were similarly low. I was told that levels in your bloodstream will be artificially low when you are not using PIO shots and are only using suppositories -- the bloodwork is just not an accurate representation.

If your REs office is concerned or cautious they might ask you to add another form of suppository daily (like adding Crinone of you are using prometrium or vice versa) but there probably isn't a need to add PIO shots.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 7th, 2012, 9:03 pm #5

Congrats!! Like has been said, vaginal supps do not necessarily show up in the blood work. Just the same,I would ask for additional P4. Good luck!!

August 7th, 2012, 9:21 pm #6

I hope you are the first of at least 3 more of us who are waiting for our beta tests this week or next. Yay for good news!

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

August 8th, 2012, 1:16 am #7

You have a nice, strong beta number. Good for you!!! One hurdle down and ????? to go. Wonderful news!!!

FB

Zoya2
Zoya2

August 8th, 2012, 12:56 pm #8

I love that beta - that's a great number. I'm so happy for you! Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

August 8th, 2012, 2:09 pm #9

First...such great news and an excellent beta. Do not worry. You can increase the progesterone level very quickly.

I just had my levels checked yesterday on the day of transfer and my P4 was 10.8. My RE said fine.
I knew that Dr. Check liked Progesterone above 20 and then I did some more reading and the reading confirmed that many REs prefer over 20 or 30.
After reading, I also realized I was on a low dose of PIO (50 mg) so I self-medicated yet again and doubled the dose to increase the P4 level.

I asked to have my estrogen and progesterone checked during the 9 day wait but my RE does not require this.

So, in my opinion get on some progesterone in oil as soon as you can.
I really appreciate your congrats and suggestions. Got my b/w done this morning, so we'll see what it looks like this afternoon, but I think I am just going to insist on the PIO shots. No sense taking chances!

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

August 8th, 2012, 2:10 pm #10

Congrats on your BFP! If you were getting your progesterone from PIO, I'd think your level is low. But my RE told me when you are using suppositories, the actual P4 level in your uterus is higher than what is showing up in your bloodwork, so I think you are fine.
Yes, I'm just using the suppositories - three times a day. We'll see what my numbers look like today. Fingers still crossed!