Question about graco infant car seat base

Question about graco infant car seat base

June 11th, 2012, 3:46 pm #1

Does having the base installed make it safer?
We're traveling this summer and would rather not schlep base unless we have to.

June 11th, 2012, 4:21 pm #2

We found it really useful to have, b/c putting car seat in/out of car (if you want to leave baby in it when you're out and about, e.g., at a restaurant) is a real PITA w/out the base. Really. You can check the base for free on any airline, does not count as a checked bag, and it doesn't have to be in anything - they just put the sticker through one of the holes and send it through. Very easy. Still one more item to schlep, but worth it IMO. Does make it easier to get the car seat angle right, too, which is key w/ babies for their head/neck. I'd take it. Hugs (and I know I owe you a note, coming up for air today as preschool teacher kindly offered to take twinkies all five mornings this week - woot woot! I must REALLY look like "couple #2" - see SB's post above),
Kenny

June 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm #3

I'm not sure I even realized you could use the Graco car seat without the base. Anyway, yeah, lugging the base to install once in a rental would be a small price to pay versus having to secure the seat over and over if it's anything like a toddler seat. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

June 11th, 2012, 5:41 pm #4

We use our Graco infant car seat without the base all the time in NYC taxis. We also went to Florida without the base (airline seat w/o base and then grandparents car for airport transportation and short dinner outings). I would recommend practicing installation w/o the base so you are familiar with it the first time you go without the base.

June 11th, 2012, 8:47 pm #5

They said that it is much safer to use the base and you should use it whenever possible. Also, hospital didn't consider the car seat properly installed without the base. And you can check the base for free plus have the snap in convenience.

PS. Kenny, I already resemble family#2. And I only have one and he's barely a month old! :0

June 12th, 2012, 1:33 am #6

Simple snap and unsnap vs, strapping and unstrapping made a huge difference at home and away from home. I also love how the car seat snaps into the stroller another big big plus.