Question about consent / embryo destruction

Question about consent / embryo destruction

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

June 13th, 2012, 1:34 am #1

My DH and I are at the stage of filling in forms, signing consents, etc. We've come a long way...

I wondered if any of you amazing ladies had thoughts on the following question: I'm signing a consent form saying that I agree that they will destroy and NOT cryropreserve eggs that are of insufficient quality. They define insufficient quality as (among other things) "1) embryo stopped developing; 2) embryo has high fragmentation; and 3) blastocysts have low numbers of cells or very little expansion." I'd prefer to strike out 2 and 3 of this definition. Basically, I'd like to get them to freeze anything that is still alive and kicking, if not as perfect looking. I know that Dr. Ch.eck did an experiment of single embryo transfers that showed that fragmented embryos were far more viable than expected. I know beautiful babies come from not-beautiful embryos. I want to freeze as many embryos as possible.

What do you think? Has anybody tried to amend these pre-printed consents before? Am I just asking for trouble?

June 13th, 2012, 3:58 am #2

Hi A,
These will be your embyros so it is your choice what you sign. Strike out what you don't want in the contract. Don't be pressured into agreeing to things you don't want to.
I had them keep two embies and a marola even when advised not to keep the marola by two different lots of people. I was later told by a nurse I made the right decision. I wanted as many options as I could get. It is up to you what you sign and what you want so stand firm.
best, THK

June 13th, 2012, 1:32 pm #3

My DH and I are at the stage of filling in forms, signing consents, etc. We've come a long way...

I wondered if any of you amazing ladies had thoughts on the following question: I'm signing a consent form saying that I agree that they will destroy and NOT cryropreserve eggs that are of insufficient quality. They define insufficient quality as (among other things) "1) embryo stopped developing; 2) embryo has high fragmentation; and 3) blastocysts have low numbers of cells or very little expansion." I'd prefer to strike out 2 and 3 of this definition. Basically, I'd like to get them to freeze anything that is still alive and kicking, if not as perfect looking. I know that Dr. Ch.eck did an experiment of single embryo transfers that showed that fragmented embryos were far more viable than expected. I know beautiful babies come from not-beautiful embryos. I want to freeze as many embryos as possible.

What do you think? Has anybody tried to amend these pre-printed consents before? Am I just asking for trouble?
Both 2 gr 1 blasts and some morulae. Whether she did so or not, I don't know. What I would suggest is you will probably need to remind the clinic of your changes to the consent form. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

June 13th, 2012, 3:26 pm #4

if you've mentioned which clinic you're using. You mentioned Dr. Ch.e.ck but I can't tell if that's your RE.

I'm asking because I have heard grumbling about Shady Grove (not on this forum - elsewhere) that they will discard embryos that don't make it to the blast stage. This is for OE IVF - I haven't heard similar complaints about DE. They are apparently very firm about this.

You may want to make sure, regardless of which clinic you're using, that they will respect your wishes if you strike out the parts that you disagree with. It may be that they have a policy in place that they will not deviate from.

Best of luck with this!

smrc
smrc

June 13th, 2012, 6:04 pm #5

I know C.ornell has "strict" standards (whatever that means) as to what they will freeze and won't, and I wonder if we could have overridden these if we had tried, like you wish to do. I don't have any scientific/medical info to share on the benefits of freezing more, but if this is what you want, ask for it!!

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

June 15th, 2012, 2:14 am #6

I really needed your guidance. Thanks so much for your valuable input. You have empowered me to amend the consent. Yay!

Thanks so much for helping me through this daunting process.

Dee
Dee

June 15th, 2012, 10:45 pm #7

if an embryo stops developing, to me that means its no longer alive. However, fragmented embryos may still be good. I think some clinics discard "iffy" embryos to protect their success rates. I would want to keep everything except embryos that no longer grew, unless someone has known of situations where an embryo stopped growing, then started again ? I have never heard of that happening.

My last FET they put in 2 good frozens, and one slow-growing one. It was a BFN altogether. However, there was one remaining embryo that was growing very slowly, and they probably did not refreeze it. I never asked about it, and now it sort of haunts me.