Pulmonary Embolism???

Pulmonary Embolism???

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 10th, 2010, 3:59 pm #1

Has anyone suffered a pulmonary embolism while on the BCP's preparing for a cycle. I have, it was a very small clot, no damage to my heart, small amount of damage to my lung. Was suppose to do a donor egg cycle in January. We are still going to move forward with the cycle and freeze the embryos until I am cleared.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with recovery from this?

Thanks.

Vianna
Vianna

December 10th, 2010, 4:41 pm #2

I had a transient ischemic attack and was hospitalized while on Yazmin. It is apparently a problem with Yazmin particularly, though all of those drugs can cause these types of problems. I am, very fortunately, perfectly fine. Others, who have had full-blown strokes, were not as lucky.

Good luck. I am so sorry you are going through this.

December 10th, 2010, 9:23 pm #3

Has anyone suffered a pulmonary embolism while on the BCP's preparing for a cycle. I have, it was a very small clot, no damage to my heart, small amount of damage to my lung. Was suppose to do a donor egg cycle in January. We are still going to move forward with the cycle and freeze the embryos until I am cleared.

Thanks.
There is some controversy over whether baby aspirin helps make the endometrium receptive to implantation (the main reason is used to be prescribed), but regardless of that, clot prevention is the number one reason I think women on estrogens should be taking baby aspirin daily. Did your doctor discuss this with you for next time?

nnj
nnj

December 11th, 2010, 12:56 am #4

why should most women who are on estrogen be taking baby aspirin? Does the estrogen cause more clotting? Also does BCPs cause these kind of issues? I have to be on BCPs before I cycle and now getting worried reading this post.

December 11th, 2010, 4:52 am #5

Thanks.
Wow, that sounds pretty scary. I'm glad you are OK.

I have never had any experience with this.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 11th, 2010, 4:54 am #6

There is some controversy over whether baby aspirin helps make the endometrium receptive to implantation (the main reason is used to be prescribed), but regardless of that, clot prevention is the number one reason I think women on estrogens should be taking baby aspirin daily. Did your doctor discuss this with you for next time?
First thanks for responding. Yes I've been on baby aspirin for years, my mother's cardilogist strongly suggested it when I was in my 20's to take it and I listened.

The Dr. has said they believe the clot was from the BCP (Ortho Novum). But it was never recommeded or discussed with me to take baby aspirin, when it was prescribed.

I've previously been tested for clotting disorders and came back with one for MTHFR, but am told this would not have contributed.

I'm told when I proceed with my cycle I will need to be on Lovenox possible the entire pregnancy if I am successful.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 11th, 2010, 5:29 am #7

Wow, that sounds pretty scary. I'm glad you are OK.

I have never had any experience with this.
Thanks!!

It was scary - I thought I had a bad pulled muscle in my shoulder, it hurt when I took a deep breath. It was when I went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't breath and the pain was so bad.
I got really scared, but my husband was a rock and told me not to panic I would be okay.

December 12th, 2010, 2:38 am #8

why should most women who are on estrogen be taking baby aspirin? Does the estrogen cause more clotting? Also does BCPs cause these kind of issues? I have to be on BCPs before I cycle and now getting worried reading this post.
Estrogens taken orally are metabolized by the liver and cause the release of enzymes that create clots. Apparently the risk is much less for estrogens taken via creams or as vaginal suppositories.

I don't know why doctors don't recommend baby aspirin for young women on bcps, but for anyone over 35, or who smokes, or who is obese, or who has a history of clots, the oral contraceptive is not recommended because of the clot risk.