prozac/fluoxetine

prozac/fluoxetine

Anon
Anon

February 4th, 2011, 12:20 am #1

Any one have any experience taking low dose antidepressant during ivf cycle? Trying to decide what to do. Definitely feel better emotionally on it but worried if it might impact outcome. RE says if I need it I should take it.

February 4th, 2011, 1:13 am #2

hi, i took fluxotine for three days to improve lining blood flow a few years back. it gave me suicidal tendencies to the point where i could have jumped out a 30 storey hotel window. I had to literally force myself not to do so.
I stopped taking it immediatly and these 'feelings' went away.

if you need to feel more calm then swim freestyle for half an hour each day at a reasonable pace without fail as you will be calm and also fit!
cheers and good luck, TH
Last edited by perthkitty on February 4th, 2011, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 4th, 2011, 1:29 am #3

Any one have any experience taking low dose antidepressant during ivf cycle? Trying to decide what to do. Definitely feel better emotionally on it but worried if it might impact outcome. RE says if I need it I should take it.
to continue taking fluoxetine throughout ttc and ivf and pregnancy. Discuss with your own drs and look at the data, prozac is one of the most studied antidepressant drugs in pregnancy now since it has been around for so long. I asked all my docs to review it too. I really didn't want to be without it and glad I didn't have to. There is some thought that good serotonin levels actually help implantation and pregnancy (an immunologist recommends an SSRI antidepressant if levels are low). I had a wonderful pregnancy and have a beautiful big smart strong happy kid, never stopped taking fluoxetine, been on it for almost 20 years. I did have to give up my occasional "as needed" anxiety drug (xanax) during pregnancy.

PS where SSRIs are very bad for ttc is for men, they are linked with high rates of sperm fragmentation.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 4th, 2011, 1:32 am #4

hi, i took fluxotine for three days to improve lining blood flow a few years back. it gave me suicidal tendencies to the point where i could have jumped out a 30 storey hotel window. I had to literally force myself not to do so.

if you need to feel more calm then swim freestyle for half an hour each day at a reasonable pace without fail as you will be calm and also fit!
cheers and good luck, TH
I hesitate to say that if you experienced such severe side effects after 3 days of meds, it may have been something else going on.

demomone
demomone

February 4th, 2011, 2:15 am #5

cheers and good luck, TH
during the entire pregnancy and still taking it while BF'ing.
It's important to feel good and not be depressed during a pregnancy..can do more damage to the fetus if you are depressed.
And ditto..unfortunatley, it can take anywhere from 2-5 weeks to get a response to an anti-depressant. Some people feel great right away but that is most probably because they are relieved to be getting some help.

Anon
Anon

February 4th, 2011, 3:09 am #6

I was on 10 mg for nearly a year. I halfed ( one every other day) the dose in early Dec. and stopped taking it completely in early Jan. After reading the posts, definitely think I will go back on it. This is also what gyn, RE and therapist I'm seeing recommended but of course this IF has made me so crazy I second guess myself and the professionals that are working so hard to help me. It only took about three weeks for me to feel effects when I first started it so hopefully will be that time or when I restart it. Thanks again for all your responses. I don't know what I would do without this board.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 4th, 2011, 3:50 am #7

10 mg is a very small dose, glad it helps you.

February 4th, 2011, 7:09 am #8

I hesitate to say that if you experienced such severe side effects after 3 days of meds, it may have been something else going on.
I was on a family holiday on the Gold Coast and couldnt have been happier. I was just one of the very small percentage that reaction happens to. I later read it on the side effects list. cheers, TH

February 4th, 2011, 4:02 pm #9

Strong personal and family history of depression so went on it in my 20's. Stayed on it for 2 pregnancies. Totally healthy kids, no PPD. Good luck!

February 4th, 2011, 9:42 pm #10

after our 2nd or 3rd mc while we were ttc a sib, and took it until I got a +++ on an HPT with my last cycle, then quit. I am still torn over that decision as this pg (currently 33w) has been filled with depression most of the time, and I've not been able to enjoy myself much or be the mom I was to the younger two during this pg, that I was while on medication in between. I didn't realize how much worse I am until a few weeks ago, when I was looking through photos and a journal I was keeping for the kids over the last couple of years (gave up the journal with funnies in it about the kids, shortly after stopping meds, not coincidentally I believe), noticing how much more effort I put into planning fun stuff for them when I was feeling better (and I realize some of that is normal pg tiredness but still... I can tell the difference, even in little things like desire to decorate the house for holidays, ability to get out xmas invitations - mine were ordered in plenty of time but still sit under my coffee table in a box... etc etc etc). So getting pg is also not the cure all to depression I guess I am trying to say... don't make that the end goal, as you will likely succeed and you want to enjoy what you have worked so hard to achieve. Baby will be better off with a happy mommy, too.

If your doctors tell you that you can/should stay on the meds, I really would. I always thought if I could "tough it out" for the good of the baby(ies) on board I should, but I'm not sure it's doing anyone any good, honestly. I read up on anti-d's and bf'ing recently and I've pretty much decided to go back on meds right away post-partum. I forget now again which one is supposed to be the safest, have to double-check that and be sure to ask Ob. GL to you . BTW, I had also read that low-dose SSRIs were good for lining/implantation and that was ONE reason I was willing to take them while cycling - won't do it to make myself better but after several DE losses, I would try anything to get pg LOL. GL! Best,
Kenny