prednisone question (MC ment)

prednisone question (MC ment)

Dee
Dee

November 9th, 2011, 3:11 pm #1

Has anyone else had an RE prescribe prednisone after an embryo transfer?

They told me to take it every day for 5 weeks. I have been reading online that prednisone is believed to cause m/c in animal studies. I don't want to take this after all.

November 9th, 2011, 3:44 pm #2

I have several immune disorders and my hematologist thought it may be a good idea to try. I had several miscarriages prior the pg that brought me DD. I used it until week 10, when she took me off. I would not take it if I did not have immune disorders. Some may disagree with me..Also, a study was done using it on women that have high NK cells..no evidence that it worked any better than not using it.
BTW, my RE would not prescribe it for me and had to speak with my other doctor before I cycled.
Last edited by demomone on November 9th, 2011, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K
K

November 9th, 2011, 5:35 pm #3

Do you remember what dosage of prednisone that you took?

November 9th, 2011, 8:17 pm #4

They told me to take it every day for 5 weeks. I have been reading online that prednisone is believed to cause m/c in animal studies. I don't want to take this after all.
My RE had me take 5mg/day for, hmmmm, think it was 8 weeks. This was help for me as I have asthma and my mainstay medication is Category C. I have heard that my RE did express frustration to another patient over U.S. doctors prescribing higher doses to his patients for the very reason you cite. Maggie (in VA)

demomone
demomone

November 9th, 2011, 8:42 pm #5

Do you remember what dosage of prednisone that you took?
But please remember I have four auto-immune disorders and would NEVER take it if I did not have good reason (and multiple m/c's without good reason is not enough). There are risks to using it.

November 9th, 2011, 8:52 pm #6

5 mg is very common, I think.

Because we had tried so many times and failed, we consulted a reproductive immunologist. One of the things she had us do on our next cycle was up the dosage to 15 mg. On the 2nd try after that, I had a successful pregnancy. (5th donor, 16 DE embryos transferred)

I know that for some illnesses, people have to take much higher doses of prednisone and that it can be bad then, but I believe there are indications that it can be helpful in low doses when ttc.

If you take it, do take extra calcium and vitamin D when you take it as it sucks the calcium off your bones, and wean yourself off of it slowly, cutting the dose in half for a few days, etc. before going off completely. Oh, and my RI was very strict about making patients take the whole amount IN THE MORNING and not later in the day.

Good luck to you.

November 9th, 2011, 10:06 pm #7

I wasn't on it for my first failed cycle. The my next (also failed) cycle they introduced prednisone 5mg every morning.
This cycle they have doubled the dose and I have to take 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening.

I know one person from my ttc naturally days who took it. She had no problem conceiving but couldn't maintain her pregnancies and she had 6 m/c's. On her seventh pregnancy they introduced steroids and she gave birth to her lovely daughter who is now 5yrs. She subsequently had another child also taking steriods in pregnancy. So it certainly has its benefits for some and I can only hope it makes a difference to me this time

November 10th, 2011, 2:10 pm #8

On our two successful cycles,(after four transfers bfn) I was on 15mg of prednisone a day starting when I started estrogen. Then began weaning off at 10 wks. As Sameboat said, cutting the dose in half for a few days, then in half again, etc until weaned.

Our son was born at 39wks via c-section, 7lbs 9oz. Then on the FET we followed same protocol and our daughter was delivered at 38wks at 9lbs even.

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges