Poll for those who have found success after failed cycle(s)

Poll for those who have found success after failed cycle(s)

June 7th, 2012, 3:33 am #1

I know some of the pink board folks have added to their family via adoption and some via gestational surrogate. But for those of us who used DE without surrogacy to add our families...what changes do you think were significant in your successful cycle? Maybe you'd also made the change in a prior cycle but still feel it helped tweak the odds to the cycle that was successful. Or maybe you made several changes but believe they worked synergistically toward your ultimate success. Or was there one big change between prior unsuccessful cycles and the successful one? Or if your first DE cycle was successful but you think some of your choices were key to its success, please share!

Thanks! Hopefully this will provide some useful information for those currently cycling or planning to.

June 7th, 2012, 5:08 am #2

Hi ya,
I utilised a very proven donor. I think that is why I had success. My immune system had also changed. I went from a person who never every got ill to someone who caught everything going. I put this change down to me having H1N1 twice. Before that I hadn't been ill for 5 years (while I was ttcing BTW), thk
Edited to add my drugs,
Lovenox, hrt, baby aspirin, progesterone pessaries, fish oil, folic acid, multivitamin with iron, pio, prolutin.
Last edited by perthkitty on June 8th, 2012, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

demomone
demomone

June 7th, 2012, 9:59 am #3

I know some of the pink board folks have added to their family via adoption and some via gestational surrogate. But for those of us who used DE without surrogacy to add our families...what changes do you think were significant in your successful cycle? Maybe you'd also made the change in a prior cycle but still feel it helped tweak the odds to the cycle that was successful. Or maybe you made several changes but believe they worked synergistically toward your ultimate success. Or was there one big change between prior unsuccessful cycles and the successful one? Or if your first DE cycle was successful but you think some of your choices were key to its success, please share!

Thanks! Hopefully this will provide some useful information for those currently cycling or planning to.
First of all...this is a great post and I hope some of the ideas can help some of the women achieve their goals of motherhood.

I had success on a FET.

what I did after two fresh cycle failures was to get my endo and hematologist to get my body ready one month prior to the cycle. We increased the thyroid meds by one dose and got my TSH down to 0.7(it was always kept between 1 and 2 before that) before the estrogen attacked my body..she increased the dose again immediately after confirming the positive beta (I have Hashi's) and the hematologist gave me prednisone (three clotting factors here) as well as Lovenonx for one month prior to the cycle..I was only on 10mgs of prednisone until 10 weeks, when we tapered down slowly. Also, a great doc helped my RE get my lining up more than it had ever been. This part was a major fete, as my RE had to take orders from an outside doc and there was a huge fight. She (RE) relented after 10 years of not getting me pregnant with multiple OE IVF's.
The most important thing I believe I did was to exercise...I had been working out for a few months before the cycle...I went back to exercise two days after the transfer...I think it helped me relax and helped the blood flow as well. For ten years of trying, it was the first cycle I had ever done where I was most active.

Good luck to all.

P.S. DD is two!!!!!

thesameboat
thesameboat

June 7th, 2012, 12:14 pm #4

Found out that although I had always tested negative for chlamydia, I had antibodies in my blood, which led my RI to suspect I had it living in the uterus, too high for the vaginal swabs to catch. She said I should always take antibiotics the week of transfers. Also that I should take otc bovine colostrum. She had me on 15 mg prednisone and on fragmin shots (heparin), plus she had me take granocyte injections the day of and the day after transfer.

Without her treatments, I never got pregnant in 6 transfers, despite having proven multiple donors. With her treatment, I got pregmant all 3 of the following cycles. (1 m/c)

Now we did also use donor sperm on half of the eggs and transferred from both batches, but we are certain that DD resulted from DH's sperm because neither donor had brown eyes, but DD is the spitting image of her dad, down to the dark brown eyes.

Ariadne
Ariadne

June 7th, 2012, 2:28 pm #5

I had 3 DE failures, 2 with some immune treatment, before finally going to the Beer Center. Unfortunately, aggressive use of IVIG was needed for me. My 1st success came on FET #2, so it came after 2 failures with the same donor.

I did have another failure on a 2nd fresh cycle with the same donor with the Beer Center, but that was again immune-related, I believe (too long to belabor here & I've written about it many time already). I then had success #2 on the 1st FET.

June 7th, 2012, 2:37 pm #6

As I detailed in a recent message on blood type, I didn't know my partner's blood type and just didn't list it, but failed to say that this wasn't important to me. They matched both my SD and ED on my blood type, O-, which is only about 6% of the population. Augh! Next time I was so paranoid, I actually found out the largest blood type pool for central Europe and listed that, plus I asked them to make proven donors my top priority.

Other changes I made which I think may have contributed: no alcohol after start of estrogens, acupuncture for about 3 mos before tx. Focused on relaxing on my second trip, not on doing sightseeing.

Maggie (in VA)

June 7th, 2012, 3:08 pm #7

1) I finally got to use Lovenox.

2) I got my deficient vitamin D level normalized.

3) A couple of weeks before transfer to a couple of months after, I took a high EPA fish oil to modulate my slightly elevated NK cell levels.

I think if I had done all these things when trying earlier on, I would have found success much earlier and missed out on the endless chemical pregnancies. But I would have missed out on my wonderful kids. So have peace with it.

June 7th, 2012, 4:55 pm #8

For me it was important to understand once I had done everything I could do...it was largely a crapsoot as to whether or not I got pregnant.

I had 2 successful pregnancies from 5 cycles. Maybe it was donor egg/sperm issues, lining issues, diabetes or some TBD issues. I don't really know why it did work OR WHY IT DID NOT. None of my Dr.s do either. For me, realizing it was a numbers game and SOMEBODY had to be on the losing side of statistics was comforting. Having said that, I chose a clinic that had an almost 70% success rate, even though that did not ring true for me personally. My own rate was a 40% success rate so I just tried to persevere and not take it personally.

I tried not to get too invested/involved because I just couldn't bear more failure after all the years of my OE IVF's. I was pretty mechanical in following the protocolls, going through the motions. It was self-protective after so much loss.

I also deliberately chose a clinic where I could afford multiple cycles. I did not count on it necessarily working the first time around, just because I had been on the fertility rollercoaster for so long, and I was used to things not working.

June 7th, 2012, 5:11 pm #9

1. THOROUGHLY checked out my insides via lap and hysteroscopy w/ camera; found stuff that several REs had not seen on HSG and multiple saline u/s (including the RE who recommended the "surgical safari" as I dubbed it) and who found them on the lap and hysteroscopy - he had told me it would not be the first time stuff was missed during HSG and saline sono, that was later found, corrected, and led to success. In my case we found kinked/blocked tubes despite seeing them open (dye spilled fine during HSG), and they were possibly creating toxic fluid that killed embies early on. There are lots of studies showing even kinked but OPEN tubes severely decrease success rates during IVF. We also found a ton of scar tissue in my uterus that was not visible on sono.
2. Immune tx - adding steroids through first tri, Intralipids 2x, lovenox whole pg, after finding several clotting/immune issues.
3. ETA - used rock star proven donors (gave up on all other criteria except family health history, and their being bright).

After several DE failues/ losses, these helped me have two live births. Best,
Kenny

Last edited by Kenny2006 on June 7th, 2012, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

June 7th, 2012, 6:48 pm #10

I've been trying to get a hysteroscopy here in Canada but having trouble getting it ordered. Because our medical care is all free (i.e. billed to taxpayers), doctors are reluctant to order tests that are seen as "unnecessary." I've had 2 good sonohystograms, which in their eyes, makes the hysteroscopy unnecessary.

I am planning to do my first DE cycle soon after years of failed treatments due to high fsh - but is high fsh really the only reason for failure?

Your post makes me feel like I should find a way to do the hysteroscopy, even if I have to go to the US and pay for it. I never had any symptoms or problems but did have a D&C about 20 years ago.

Ugh, how do I convince them??