Please help if you are a sg grad

Please help if you are a sg grad

seena
seena

June 14th, 2011, 3:46 pm #1

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Anyone use sg and out of town? How many times did you have to go and did you drive, bus, train etc?
Any and all advice is sooooo appreciated. I am going to try there, but I am not local, and have no ins. coverage.
One more question...what would you have done differently knowing what you know now?
Please give me any and all advice it is crunch time Thanks!

June 14th, 2011, 5:33 pm #2

Hi Seena -- I am an SG grad and could not recommend it more. I was in-town but I do know they try to make it as easy as possible for out-of-towners. I think they only have to come for the initial screening (and bring DH to that so he can drop off his sample then -- that way you don't have to worry about the uncertainty of when the retrieval will be -- I was in-town and we had DH go up and drop his sample about a month before retrieval just to make it more convenient). After the initial day at SG I think you would only have to go back for transfer(s). My company's office is only about a mile from SG so it was super convenient for me. There is a metro station close by so you can easily get to the sights in DC if you want.

As far as what I would have done differently is move to SG earlier. I did 2 cycles elsewhere before I switched to SG, spent much money and had no baby. The shared risk option gave me huge peace-of-mind. I found success on an FET from my first cycle at SG. I have a 6 month-old little girl. I am sure other SG grads will chime in.

GL - Julie

June 14th, 2011, 6:23 pm #3

though am perfectly fine with it since it was all part of the path to my children. I did not even get as far as OE IVF there but did injectables. I just wanted to say I liked Dr Saffan there very much. Probably one of my favorite REs ever. OK, maybe my favorite.

Leigh888
Leigh888

June 14th, 2011, 6:33 pm #4

Anyone use sg and out of town? How many times did you have to go and did you drive, bus, train etc?
Any and all advice is sooooo appreciated. I am going to try there, but I am not local, and have no ins. coverage.
One more question...what would you have done differently knowing what you know now?
and live in Chicago. I am pressed for time now, but will reply to you later today or tomorrow with my thoughts. Overall, I had a good experience.

June 14th, 2011, 8:27 pm #5

I currently live in the SE US, however, I am originally from MD and my mom lives about 15 minutes from the main SG offices.

Advantages:

-Affordable guaranteed shared risk program - 6 tries and all money back
-The RE's
-Organized - you can email the nurses and they get back with you right away
-I also could email my RE and she would respond (I still email her pictures of our DS)
-Reimbursed $300/fresh cycle for out of town monitoring
-You don't owe a dime until you reserve a donor.

Disadvantages:

-Being patient for the right donor (although I usually found several donors I liked, I am probably not as picky as some recips are)
-Syncing 3 recipients and 1 donor
-Not knowing until the last minute if your cycle is going to be cancelled, especially if you are the 3rd recip
-Stress of traveling from out of town
-Airline expense

What I would have changed? Like Julie, I wish I would have considered their program sooner. Although, the way we look at it, we have the child we were supposed to have. He is now 6.5 months old.

Our first cycle was cancelled in August of 2009 b/c the donor discovered a serious health issue. Our next fresh cycle in October of 2009, I was the 2nd recip. They only retrieved 8 eggs so the 3rd recip was cancelled. We each received 4 eggs and I transferred 2 (3-day) embies and received a BFN. The next fresh cycle, in March 2010, I was the 1st recip and they retrieved 31 eggs, received 11 (9 mature). Transferred 2 perfect blasts and gave birth to DS in Nov. I have one frozen embie.

Also, RBA in Atlanta just started offering a guaranteed program on their frozen egg bank. So, you may want to check them out as well. If you go on their website, you can request the detailed info be emailed to you.

If I think of anything else, I will post. Good luck.
Last edited by dnj01 on June 14th, 2011, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

June 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm #6

..Shady Grove is my plan B if my last embie doesn't work so all this info is very helpful to me too. Thanks ladies. GL Seena. Keep us posted.

Leigh888
Leigh888

June 15th, 2011, 2:08 am #7

and live in Chicago. I am pressed for time now, but will reply to you later today or tomorrow with my thoughts. Overall, I had a good experience.
I think Dixie was spot on with the pros and cons.

The one other con I would mention is that with the 3:1 shared program, you don't have the best odds for having frozens. If you are hoping for siblings, this could be a problem. I don't think they stim the donors really hard, so you don't end up with tons of embryos. For my first cycle, we received 5 eggs, had 3 fert, 2 transferred, none frozen and BFN. For my second cycle, exact same cycle, expect for a BFP (singleton). I know some people get more eggs, but I think my results are somewhat normal.

I would also check out RBA. They didn't have a guarantee program when I was looking. They are more expensive, but they also have some big positives, i.e. better donor pool, higher stats, frozen eggs (which makes travel much easier).

You asked about travel. Here is what we did:

September: went out for one day work-up. Drove out and stayed with friends while we were there. DH did his part and they froze his sample so he wouldn't have to go out for ER.

January: I flew out for transfer. Flew Southwest so that I could easily change my flights if necessary (it wasn't). I was worried about weather so didn't stay with our friends. Good thing too as there was a blizzard while I was there. Got a super cheap rate on hotwire. Hotel was by metro, so I didn't rent a car. I took a cab back and forth to the clinic. It was about 15 minutes away.

April: I flew out for transfer. This time donor was ready way early. I had to move flights around, cut short a girls' weekend, etc. It was definitely more stressful. Flew SW again. Rented a car and stayed with our friends this time. Drove myself to and from clinic for transfer. It wasn't a problem. If you fly, check the Baltimore airport too. Flights were cheaper for me in and out of Baltimore.

Hope that helps. I had a very good experience at SG.

seena
seena

June 15th, 2011, 6:29 pm #8

How sweet of you to take the time to add more I appreciate this info. No flying here. Car and/or bus/metro. I think I have it figured out. Hopefully will not need to be monitored that much?
xoxo

seena
seena

June 15th, 2011, 6:32 pm #9

Hi Seena -- I am an SG grad and could not recommend it more. I was in-town but I do know they try to make it as easy as possible for out-of-towners. I think they only have to come for the initial screening (and bring DH to that so he can drop off his sample then -- that way you don't have to worry about the uncertainty of when the retrieval will be -- I was in-town and we had DH go up and drop his sample about a month before retrieval just to make it more convenient). After the initial day at SG I think you would only have to go back for transfer(s). My company's office is only about a mile from SG so it was super convenient for me. There is a metro station close by so you can easily get to the sights in DC if you want.

As far as what I would have done differently is move to SG earlier. I did 2 cycles elsewhere before I switched to SG, spent much money and had no baby. The shared risk option gave me huge peace-of-mind. I found success on an FET from my first cycle at SG. I have a 6 month-old little girl. I am sure other SG grads will chime in.

GL - Julie
I am soooo happy for you. Thanks for the response Did you have a hard time picking donor?
How lucky you know ppl in the area. Not here. xoxoxo Thanks again!

seena
seena

June 15th, 2011, 6:33 pm #10

though am perfectly fine with it since it was all part of the path to my children. I did not even get as far as OE IVF there but did injectables. I just wanted to say I liked Dr Saffan there very much. Probably one of my favorite REs ever. OK, maybe my favorite.
Glad it worked for you and I would not mind either with a result like you had! Thanks