Please help! I have a friend in cycle in need of encouragement... (success)

Please help! I have a friend in cycle in need of encouragement... (success)

June 6th, 2011, 9:23 pm #1

I have a friend IRL who is doing a DE cycle. She's not the "board type" so I offered to post her fert/transfer results and hopefully get some words of encouragement from my virtual friends who are so wonderful here on the board .

So here's the deal: she did a shared cycle and ended up with 5 embies. They did a day 3 transfer of three 7-cells, no fragmentation, but the other two had already arrested. She's so upset, thinking that those other two already being gone doesn't bode well for the three inside her. She's also upset that they were 7 cells and not 8. The RE said there is really no difference between 6-8 cells on day 3, but she doesn't believe him. He also said that the two that died are a separate "story" from the three that were doing well at time of transfer. I saw pics of the embies and they do look beautiful but she's inconsolable. She's done a couple of fresh DE cycles before (one that resulted in her daughter) and she never ends up with frozens, but in her words, "at least on day 3 the other embies were still being WATCHED. These 2 already died!"

Can those of you with similar stories that turned out well, please share to encourage her? She's in a really bad place right now (I know many of you can relate). Thanks so much in advance for your help!! Best to everyone,
Kenny

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 6th, 2011, 11:01 pm #2

Look at the first response from 'Mrs A' about stats compiled from her clinic on the number of cells in an embryo and success rates, for all age groups. There is very little difference between a 7 cell and 8 cell as far as overall success rates.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/209394/t ... ng+post%29

Ya, I feel for your friend though, I would not be very happy either that the others arrested. I have personally not had good luck with anything less than 8 cells, frankly (BFNs and m/c), with success from an 8 cell. The data on the 7 vs 8 cells surprised me (based on my bitter personal experience) and hopefully will be encouraging for your friend. Does she know the embryology result from the other couple in the split cycle?

June 7th, 2011, 2:44 am #3

No, I don't think they told her anything about the other couple. Thanks again!
Kenny

Leigh888
Leigh888

June 7th, 2011, 12:27 pm #4

I have a friend IRL who is doing a DE cycle. She's not the "board type" so I offered to post her fert/transfer results and hopefully get some words of encouragement from my virtual friends who are so wonderful here on the board .

So here's the deal: she did a shared cycle and ended up with 5 embies. They did a day 3 transfer of three 7-cells, no fragmentation, but the other two had already arrested. She's so upset, thinking that those other two already being gone doesn't bode well for the three inside her. She's also upset that they were 7 cells and not 8. The RE said there is really no difference between 6-8 cells on day 3, but she doesn't believe him. He also said that the two that died are a separate "story" from the three that were doing well at time of transfer. I saw pics of the embies and they do look beautiful but she's inconsolable. She's done a couple of fresh DE cycles before (one that resulted in her daughter) and she never ends up with frozens, but in her words, "at least on day 3 the other embies were still being WATCHED. These 2 already died!"

Can those of you with similar stories that turned out well, please share to encourage her? She's in a really bad place right now (I know many of you can relate). Thanks so much in advance for your help!! Best to everyone,
Kenny
but in my last shared DE cycle, we received 5 eggs. By day 3, we only had 3 still dividing, and only one that looked good. By day 5, we still had 3, but only one that was where it should be. Transferred two and third one didn't make it to freeze. I am pregnant with a singleton. So, my stats were pretty similar and it worked.

With my OE cycles, I never had 8 cell embryos on day 3. I did not have success, but my obsessive inquiries with Dr. Google found tons and tons of positive stories with 6-7 cell embryos.

I wonder what time your friend's ER/ET were. If the ER was late in the day and the ET was very early, it is possible that they didn't have the full amount of time to make it to 8 cells.

June 8th, 2011, 3:31 am #5

nt