Please Help!! Difficulty making decision

Please Help!! Difficulty making decision

Heather
Heather

March 25th, 2011, 7:47 pm #1

I have had so much difficulty choosing an egg donor. I finally found one that I felt good with and then since she is not in town for the clinic I go too, there is a lot of extra costs tagged on. It looks like cycle will be about $25000. I know you can not put a price on a child but that seems so high!
I have begun looking at South Africa for egg donation because it I can go there for 12 days and have all done for $15000. Has anyone done this or know of anyone that has????

Lizla
Lizla

March 25th, 2011, 8:39 pm #2

GL

March 25th, 2011, 8:57 pm #3

I have had so much difficulty choosing an egg donor. I finally found one that I felt good with and then since she is not in town for the clinic I go too, there is a lot of extra costs tagged on. It looks like cycle will be about $25000. I know you can not put a price on a child but that seems so high!
I have begun looking at South Africa for egg donation because it I can go there for 12 days and have all done for $15000. Has anyone done this or know of anyone that has????
Unless things have changed dramatically in the past couple of years since I researched SA, their frozen embryo stats are just horrible. They are conservative in the way they stim their donors so that they often don't get enough extra to freeze, and then the ones they do freeze have terrible FET implantation rates.

If you just want one child, SA might be a smart choice. If you were hoping to get your family out of one cycle, choose an American clinic that has reasonable success rates and a proven donor who produces well. It will be worth the money.

Leigh888
Leigh888

March 25th, 2011, 9:02 pm #4

one of the clinics with a guarantee program. There are a few in the U.S. They are expensive, but aren't that much more than the 25K you mentioned for one cycle. At least with a guarantee, you get your $$ back if it doesn't work.

Or, there are a few clinics who do shared cycles which would be quite a bit cheaper too. You won't get as many eggs, but it would be more affordable.

March 25th, 2011, 9:38 pm #5

...I was one of them. The Cape Fertility Clinic's FET stats were bad, but I believe they've improved considerably in recent years. However, they stim conservatively, so it's not likely that you'll have many (if any) frozen embies to work with. Still, their fresh success rates are very good, and on my second fresh cycle I came home pregnant. I loved going there; the country is a wonderful place to have a vacation in addition to a cycle. I used the Renew (now called Global Egg Donors) agency, FWIW. A less expensive local agency is "Nurture." Do a search on this board and you'll find tons of posts about SA.

Maya

Catherine
Catherine

March 25th, 2011, 10:09 pm #6

I went to SA and got lucky on my first try. They now use vitrification to freeze the embies, according to the doctor who treated me their frozen success rate is 80 percent of the fresh rate.

It is true that they aim to get 8-12 eggs so you are unlikely to get a lot to freeze. Taking into account that it is a long way to travel, you want to maximise your chances per cycle rather than trying several times with the same batch so that makes sense. I was very impressed and would definitely recommend the Cape Fertility Clinic. I used an agency called Gift ov Life, they were fabulous.

Kacee
Kacee

March 25th, 2011, 10:20 pm #7

nt

Anon
Anon

March 25th, 2011, 11:59 pm #8

I thought donor fees were about $10,000...so how could it be so little?

March 26th, 2011, 12:09 am #9

I would have a really hard time going to SA and not going on a Safari and to wine country. Maybe that's it.

But it is very expensive even to cycle out of state. And so hard to coordinate there. I just can't imagine doing it in SA.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 26th, 2011, 12:15 am #10

I thought donor fees were about $10,000...so how could it be so little?
Kacee is quoting a split cycle where she splits the total # of eggs with another recipient, cutting down on cost for donor fee and donor meds