Perimenopause - anyone relate?

Perimenopause - anyone relate?

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 27th, 2012, 5:40 am #1

Uggh. Have to say I'm not enjoying this perimenopause bit. I'm 45, cycles have been a bit wonky for 18 months now - some every 17 days, some every 6 weeks, some with considerable amount of flooding. So now it seems we have a 'new' symptom! I haven't had a 'true' period for about 9 weeks now. It was fairly normal. Then five weeks later when I thought I was going to start (had cramps etc) there was a few days of brown spotting, nothing else. Now 4 weeks later again I wake up to what I believe will be a period - crampy, ikky feeling and a tinge of red on paper.... but again it seems to have fizzled into brown spotting. But the cramps! I feel like my body is fighting itself - one part saying it's time to shed the lining and another side saying "nope, done with that". I'm sure there will be a decent lining built up. In my OE IVF's I always built a 12+ lining and I was expecting this period to be one of the horrible 'flooding' ones that I've had over the last year or so. But no. I feel bloated, heavy and even physically like throwing up. Anyone been through something similar or have any ideas of what can be done?

Thanks girls!

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 27th, 2012, 5:05 pm #2

I have been on the pill in preparation for a cycle, and that calmed the symptoms, but I had no sex drive.

I am now considering HRT now that my body is out of the equation (surrogacy is up next).

April 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm #3

Uggh. Have to say I'm not enjoying this perimenopause bit. I'm 45, cycles have been a bit wonky for 18 months now - some every 17 days, some every 6 weeks, some with considerable amount of flooding. So now it seems we have a 'new' symptom! I haven't had a 'true' period for about 9 weeks now. It was fairly normal. Then five weeks later when I thought I was going to start (had cramps etc) there was a few days of brown spotting, nothing else. Now 4 weeks later again I wake up to what I believe will be a period - crampy, ikky feeling and a tinge of red on paper.... but again it seems to have fizzled into brown spotting. But the cramps! I feel like my body is fighting itself - one part saying it's time to shed the lining and another side saying "nope, done with that". I'm sure there will be a decent lining built up. In my OE IVF's I always built a 12+ lining and I was expecting this period to be one of the horrible 'flooding' ones that I've had over the last year or so. But no. I feel bloated, heavy and even physically like throwing up. Anyone been through something similar or have any ideas of what can be done?

Thanks girls!
Especially the phantom cramps. I started going off HRT today to see whether it's bearable. And the pelvic discomfort has already started, I mean, in less that 24 hours. My annual physical will be coming up and my GP can deal with it if I wimp out. Hey, are you waiting on a cycle? Most clinics want their patients on maintenance HRT if they're not having regular periods to keep their uterus in the habit of building and shedding lining. Have you talked with your RE about it? Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 27th, 2012, 11:33 pm #4

Thanks to both of you and thanks Maggie for the suggestion to talk to the RE about it - I haven't mentioned it. From these boards I knew that if you were in full meno they will put you on HRT early in prep for a DE cycle but I didn't know about just having the irregular cycles. 70 days is about the longest I've got without a period. And yes, I am doing a DE cycle at the end of the year. So Maggie, are you still having cycles but on HRT? I didn't realise that they used HRT for women who were still cycling, I thought it was only for meno. I'd love to hear back about your experiences with it. How does it make you feel? Normally the contraceptive pill (ironic isn't it?) makes me feel awful. I get emotional and eat everything in sight and pack on the pounds (which I'm trying to lose for the upcoming cycle). I am cycling out-of-town so am being monitored by another clinic. I need to do a mock cycle. If I went on HRT would I do the mock cycle before or after HRT?