Pathology report, parvo virus. MC ment

Pathology report, parvo virus. MC ment

Dee
Dee

June 23rd, 2011, 7:36 pm #1

This is regarding the M/C that I posted about a while back, at 16 weeks of pregnancy. The fetal demise occurred around 14 weeks. The genetic screening all came back normal.

There was a lot of disease testing done, everything normal except the baby tested positive for parvo virus. Parvo virus can cause miscarriage. However, they did not find parvo virus in MY blood stream or even anti-bodies to the parvo virus. So I've never been exposed to it.

I am wondering if the parvo virus could have originated with the donor? That seems to be the only possible explanation, other than a lab error. I know donors are often screened for STDs, but I'm not sure if they are screened for other diseases.

I am concerned because I have more more frozen embryos and wonder if they are infected as well.

thesameboat
thesameboat

June 23rd, 2011, 7:45 pm #2

but I am so, so sorry that you're having to deal with this and I wish you well.

June 23rd, 2011, 8:04 pm #3

This is regarding the M/C that I posted about a while back, at 16 weeks of pregnancy. The fetal demise occurred around 14 weeks. The genetic screening all came back normal.

There was a lot of disease testing done, everything normal except the baby tested positive for parvo virus. Parvo virus can cause miscarriage. However, they did not find parvo virus in MY blood stream or even anti-bodies to the parvo virus. So I've never been exposed to it.

I am wondering if the parvo virus could have originated with the donor? That seems to be the only possible explanation, other than a lab error. I know donors are often screened for STDs, but I'm not sure if they are screened for other diseases.

I am concerned because I have more more frozen embryos and wonder if they are infected as well.
and yes you should go back to the clinic with results. get some opinions on this medically. I don't know but if it did originate with donor, this is a big issue. Blessing to you and I am so sorry. Keep us posted.

Dee
Dee

June 23rd, 2011, 8:29 pm #4

All I found out online was, that when blood or tissue is transferred from one person to another, it can carry viruses or bacteria. That's why they test donors for HIV, etc.

It seems that if the embryo was infected with parvo, it would have infected me as well.

My RE told me that even though a baby tests chromosomally normal, it can still have birth defects that make it incompatible with life. (For example, its heart could be on the wrong side of its chest). He said they would have to examine all the organs, do a full autopsy, to find that out (however, they didn't do a complete autopsy in our situation).

June 23rd, 2011, 11:53 pm #5

nt

Dee
Dee

June 24th, 2011, 12:09 am #6

He has poor sperm quality but was never tested for fragmentation. We managed to have one child already using DE and his sperm, but it took 3 transfers (1 fresh, 2 frozen). He is starting to wonder now if we should use donor sperm.

There are 3 possibilities why this pregnancy ended: 1) blood clotting problem, and I should have been taking heparin 2) the parvo virus or 3) unknown birth defects, possibly caused by faulty sperm.

It is important for me to keep looking for answers, so I know how to move forward next time. We have four frozen embryos, but they were not PGD'd, because my husband "didn't think it was important". So we don't know much about those four frozen embryos. I hope that at least one of them could work, though.

We had an anon donor from the clinic donor pool, and I wonder if clinics accept repeat donors if their embryos result in miscarriage. Even though someone is young, it may not mean they have good eggs.

K
K

June 24th, 2011, 12:53 am #7

Have you asked your RE?? (((hugs))))

June 24th, 2011, 1:33 am #8

I wish I had something helpful to say. This is the kind of loss you couldn't possibly prepare for or anticipate. I wish this hadn't happened to you. I'm so sorry.

keifel
keifel

June 24th, 2011, 10:52 am #9

I hope that you can get more answers before your next transfer. My thoughts are with you.

cotton
cotton

June 24th, 2011, 7:26 pm #10

this is a cruel blow on top of an already difficult IF road.
you mentioned heparin. it might not be a bad idea to have potential immune issues checked. wishing you the best, i hope one of those 4 frosties is your miracle.