Packing for hospital?

Packing for hospital?

June 21st, 2012, 1:10 am #1

What did you find most comfy? Should I bring sweats? any suggestions would be helpful.

June 21st, 2012, 1:19 am #2

I don't think that you will want to pull sweatpants up. And there is a lot of discharge down there after, so I think that nighties would be best. I also had a light robe that zipped all the way up that worked nice. I had a c-section, but I don't think that it's any different for a vaginal birth.

We wish we had brought sweats for my dd, who spent the overnight before labor started sleeping in his jeans!

June 21st, 2012, 1:31 am #3

What did you find most comfy? Should I bring sweats? any suggestions would be helpful.
Hi, pack the following.
Shawl for privacy and draughts, toothbrush and tooth paste, comb, shampoo and conditioner, black underwear, clothes that are easy on easy off, magazine, phone phone charger, these are must haves. Pack your bag beforehand. I did not, got caught out as had to go in early so forgot things, best to you, thk

June 21st, 2012, 2:13 am #4

Besides the above, I'd suggest slippers and a camera (unless your phone has a good camera).

June 21st, 2012, 2:46 am #5

I bought Welches Grape Juice and Apple juice and peanut butter crackers to snack on. Bring magazines or newspaper. Bring your favorite scented lotions or body wash, they will help you relax.

June 21st, 2012, 4:17 am #6

The hospital pillows kind of suck! I was so happy to have mine from home there!

June 21st, 2012, 4:57 am #7

The hospital gown, robe and socks worked for me. Don't forget a pony tail holder. The hospital photographer took pictures the next day with baby so I did bring makeup but no need for nicer clothes. I went home in the same clothes I wore to the hospital.

June 21st, 2012, 10:20 am #8

I had a c/sec and was in the hospital for four days. First day, I wore hospital garb and my own robe, which was a dark color. For the rest of the time, I preferred to wear black pull on leggings, which I bought in one size larger than I needed. Also, nice large and longer T-shirts. Also, a nice comfy sweat shirt (longer style). It gets cold in the hospital. Plenty of grandma panties and a good nursing bra or two (if you plan to nurse). At night, I just wore the hospital nightgown.
Calvin Klein makes a great line of very soft black nightwear. I got the pull on pants, the tank top and the robe. They wash really well and dry fast and are easy to wear after a delivery.
Don't forget your slippers and your phone charger!!!!

I wanted pictures of my Dad in the room, I brought a lovely picture of both of us, taken before he passed.

Good luck to you!

One more thing...you may want to bring your own sanitary napkins, as most hospitals only use the very large and bulky ones. I used Always, extra long, heavy, with adhesive.
Last edited by demomone on June 21st, 2012, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2012, 11:47 am #9

When you are ready to leave the less you have to pack up the better.  I wore the hospital socks and gowns for most of my stay, along with the mesh underwear they provided.  I had c sections and brought a couple of very comfy stretchy maternity pants/shirts with me and wore those after the 2nd day and on the day I went home.  I think (for me) what is really essential is:  camera, extra batteries, laptop (or other way to e-mail), cell phone, hair clip, outfit for baby to travel home, a few snacks, tooth brush, toothpaste and lip balm.  Our hospital provided pretty much everything we needed (including shampoo and conditioner, some snacks, mesh undies, sanitary pads, all things for baby-including shirts).  When you leave you may have flowers to carry, our hospital provided a gift basket, we had some baby swaddle blankets, the car seat and the baby to carry.  So it ended up being a lot of stuff.  Good luck and enjoy the experience.  Both of my c-sections and my experience at the hospital both times were great.

June 21st, 2012, 2:46 pm #10

Of course I was there for 2 weeks so needed to settle in and be comfortable. One thing I was very glad to have there was an Evian mist bottle. The air was SO dry - it really helped.